Tire Logistics and Support

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Admin Note: Split from this topic as it's guaranteed to take on a different direction.

I know both Iggy and Scooter have extra wheels. Simpler to swap, but it still takes time. Their time.
They know where to store the wheels for the change? Or is it okay for someone else to move the wheels to a location so it will be available for the rider to change it out?

Just asking?

I would think that you would be required to haul the wheel(s) around with you during the event or you would end up with a compromised rig, wouldn't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know both Iggy and Scooter have extra wheels. Simpler to swap, but it still takes time. Their time.
They know where to store the wheels for the change? Or is it okay for someone else to move the wheels to a location so it will be available for the rider to change it out?

Just asking?

I would think that you would be required to haul the wheel(s) around with you during the event or you would end up with a compromised rig, wouldn't you?
Certainly I, Skooter, and other FJR owners in The Butt have been talking things over semi-privately lately about tire choices, service before the rally, and logistics of staging spare equipment.

I've watched with interest and intrigue Eric's tire choice. Pretty cool actually!

But, not my cup of tea since there are one or two conventional motorcycle tires that will go the distance of the IBR. I'm going to run an ME-880 rear (since I know them and ran the whole '07 with one) and a PR front.

I am, however, strongly considering staging a tire or tire and rim at the second checkpoint....just in case....or if for some reason I have tons of time before the checkpoint.

As for the questions of outside assistance staging of materials isn't an issue. They don't want people to be doing work for you in the parking lot while you're sleeping...it's always been against the spirit of the rules....and is going to be clearly against the written rules. However, if you need to do maintenance to your bike and want to take to a dealer that's fine. And there's a specific exclusion that you can friends assist you in maintenance in the rally or at checkpoints.

My personal tack is that having "civilians" do things is fine (i.e. somebody taking your ferry reservation over the phone, you asking somebody for directions somewhere, have a dealer change something). If they're "non-civilians" and I'm on the road (i.e. family members, friends, forum dwellers that know you're in a rally) I'm not going to ask for their help, caution some to not try to help me, and avoid it. This includes Mom surfing the net saying, "I see you're headed to X. I see a big thunderstorm between you and it."

Edit: Looks like Iggy did a good job with the Reader's Digest version whilst I was writing my novel.

What was it Iggy said? Oh yeah, Eighty Days, (bitch). Of all the people here, you two boys should be doing this ASAP. Losing sleep to change a tire at a checkpoint during the IBR is lame if you don't need to do it. And no one should DNF for a tire issue, that would be down right sad.
Hence my decision to go with the Metzler ME880. It may be a wooden POS, but AT LEAST ITS ROUND!!!! :p And will get me through the whole rally.

Just asking?

I am trying to find a set of tires that will get me through the entire rally this time. Last time I shipped my extra wheels (with tires already mounted and balanced), and my dear good friend Smitty changed them at the half way point while I slept. (He did this for many peeps). But this time around, money is tight and I am trying to save wherever I can. Shipping two mounted wheel/tire combos is $$$$.

So, to save money, and also to save much needed rest time (due to rule changes - I 'have to be there' when maintenance is performed) I am going with a tire combo I am fairly certain will get me through the entire rally - the ME880 rear, and a Pilot Road II front. If I change my mind, there is a forum member and damn good dude who lives very close to the 2nd checkpoint in southern Kali. I can either ship a rear wheel/tire to him for swap out, or do a tire change there during the rally. Don't really want to do either. More than likely, I will be there doing an oil change however. As I still don't get warm fuzzies from putting 10-13k on oil.

Not looking forward to the ME880 from what I hear about it's wet weather traction and cornering prowess, but youse got to do what youse got to do.

Oh, and while there is a lot of straight interstate and two-lane highway traveling during the IBR, there are plenty of twisties to tear up also. Last time around for me included Yosemite, the roads to Mono Hot Springs and Sequoia National Park, the Lick Observatory, and Independence pass among others.

And sort of an interesting thing that Skooter has come out with the ME-880 and PR2 combination. There have been a lot of e-mails, PM's, and Jedi thoughts flying around recently amongst FJR riders in the IBR...and things are in flux.

Other than planning on going with a regular PR front myself...I'm doing a very similar tire combo. I ran this combo in 7 day SPANK and was very happy with it.....or more precisely....I hardly noticed the tires. Easily adjusting to the tire it was easier to focus on the rally. I'm 90% sure I would drop ship just a tire from the seller instead of shipping my whole rim and tire down. Budget is tighter this year.

What was it Iggy said? Oh yeah, Eighty Days, (bitch). Of all the people here, you two boys should be doing this ASAP. Losing sleep to change a tire at a checkpoint during the IBR is lame if you don't need to do it. And no one should DNF for a tire issue, that would be down right sad.
Hence my decision to go with the Metzler ME880. It may be a wooden POS, but AT LEAST ITS ROUND!!!! :p And will get me through the whole rally.

If anyone needs any help in when they are in SoCal let me know. You can change oil and tires here. I have all the regular tools but nothing to mount or balance a tire. I am two miles (5minutes) off the 15 freeway in Fallbrook, CA (northern San Diego). I will also make sure you get a good, hot meal.

Good luck guys.

If anyone needs any help in when they are in SoCal let me know. You can change oil and tires here. I have all the regular tools but nothing to mount or balance a tire. I am two miles (5minutes) off the 15 freeway in Fallbrook, CA (northern San Diego). I will also make sure you get a good, hot meal.
Good luck guys.
+1. I live 1/2 mile off I-45 just south of Conroe. No tire equipment but a shop full of other tools. I am in good with our local Yamie shop service dept. If you plan to come by, let me know a couple of days ahead to set everything up.

Appreciate the offers of assitance!

FYI, the checkpoint is in Santa Ana the evening/night of Sunday, August 30.

As Iggy noted, pre-event logistical planning is in full force right now. Of course then there is always the 'during rally OH SHIT! stuff that comes up.

Thanks again.

Sincerely, good luck with that. And the CT is round too ya putz. :p

@blufjr - That's an issue up to the IBA. I don't see how it would be a problem to ship your wheels to the location of your choice prior to the rally. Not on rally time, so no real rule. Having someone bring them to the checkpoint for you is probably fine too, but could be construed as outside assistance. I'm certainly not going to bring that up to the IBA!

My case history on the 170/60-17VR ME880's is good. First rear lasted 12,667, Second went 11,578 and third went 10,514. FYI, I usually get 6,500-8,500 out of all the other tires, AV45, Z6, PR-1, PR-2, Storms etc. Fronts last me around 10,500. I never had a problem with the ME880 in the wet and even did 10 laps at PIR on the second set.

Good luck to you two on the IB, hope all goes well for you.

Before supersport tires got better in the mid 90's, everyone used ME880's as a rain tire in the supersport classes for amature racing.

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the Pilot Roads or Pilot Road 2's?

I get about 7,000 on a rear Pirelli Strada and maybe 10,000 out of a front.

Could I expect 15,000 out of either of those?

How "grey" is the area if assistance is gleaned from our list of helpful people? If you're stuck near me (I-80, I-29, I-35) I'm willing to offer help.

I could give a damn if you're headed into a thunderstorm. I might be concerned if there are tornados in the area tho :)

What kind of mileage are you guys getting out of the Pilot Roads or Pilot Road 2's?I get about 7,000 on a rear Pirelli Strada and maybe 10,000 out of a front.

Could I expect 15,000 out of either of those?
I was told I would get 15k out of my PR2s. We will see.
I have a PR2 on the back of my FJR right now with almost 15,000 on it and I'm not quite down to the wear bars. It's getting changed this weekend only because I'm doing a long run the next weekend with the wife and don't want to risk being 600 miles from home with cord showing.

BTW, the front also has the same mileage and also is still good to go for local riding. And even with that many miles, they still handle pretty good - not that clunky car tire type handling that's the norm with flat spotted tires from too much slab commuting.