Tire longevity

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick D

Reaction score
I have Michelin Road 5s on my 04. I like the ride and traction but very, very disappointed in the tire life. What is the longest lasting tire that's will work on an FJR?  For this question not interested in ride or traction, just one factor- longevity. 

There are a lot of factors going on there.  How many miles did you get on your PR5s that you consider disappointing?

AFAIK, the Michelin PR4s are the reigning long-life champs.  Unless, you can get still get some PR2s.  But I absolutely hated the PR2s in the last third of their life.  After riding a set I vowed NEVER again.

D'oh!   How could I have missed my chance?  I am getting old and slipping......

When it comes to all out longevity on the rear tire, nothing, and I mean NOTHING beats a car tire!  I get 39k-42k miles out of a rear!

OYCTIUCh.jpg

There are a lot of factors going on there.  How many miles did you get on your PR5s that you consider disappointing?

AFAIK, the Michelin PR4s are the reigning long-life champs.  Unless, you can get still get some PR2s.  But I absolutely hated the PR2s in the last third of their life.  After riding a set I vowed NEVER again.
5000 with not much left.

I too, am disappointed at the PR5's apparent lack of mileage life.

My fave tires for long life had become the Avon 3D-XM (eXtended Mileage) variant (180v55R17), but now it seems Avon has replaced them with something called Spirit model tires (?). Used to get almost 16K Kms (~10K miles) out of the rear, - and because I loves me some torque on an FJR, that mileage was quite good [for price of that tire].  The 3D-XMs were dual compound, and still great rain or shine.

My second choice (cheaper than Michelin PR4GTs) are the Dunlop RoadSmart III tires. Similar endurance, overall good feel, low cupping through their life, etc..

Of course there's always the NEPRT sub-forum here to see years of debates on all things tire....

PR5s aren't that great for mileage, almost any will better them for mileage. Let us know when you find the tire unicorn!

~G

Car tire!  if you search deep enough you'll even find a double Darkside FJR- car tire on both front and rear. Now that's some serious mileage.

I got 28k miles from my first C/T. Got about 14k on my current one and it doesn't look like it. I expect it'll go 30+K miles.

How are you wearing yours out?  On the sides or in the middle? 

Tire life is directly connected to the right wrist. Slow up and slow down (easy throttle use) and you can extend any tire's life even when top speeds are western USA-ish.

Here's the darkside thread.

I have been highly impressed with the PR4GT tires. I replace as a set in May, and now have 4500 miles on them and they still look great and perform fantastic.  On Wednesday of last week went on a little 625 mile day ride all around the Sierra Nevada mountains and really carved some corners.
These replaced PR2s which were good tires until the last 25%, then they were not so good......

Biknflyfisher

I love my PR2s, but agree with the comments about the last third or so of tire life, particularly the front. It becomes triangulated, then handles like shit. Comes off vertical just fine, then wants to stay on its now-flattish surface.  If you need to tighten your line and lean more when the tire is in these last few hundred miles of life, good luck. Pull harder on the handlebars and use your body to get it off that surface, and then it wants to go over that edge, and feels like it will fall on its side. I'm not Miguel Duhamel, and don't have his level of skill that allowed him to ride on the edge of the tire; your skill set may differ.

Anyway, 3,000 miles on a set.  Sometimes 2,800, sometimes 3,200. I am very attentive to tire pressure; 42 psi front and rear.  Don't know what I'm going to do when PR2s disappear.  They are getting harder to find.

15k on a set of Michelin PR4.

I had bad front wheel bearings which caused some cupping and then at 80+ MPH, the front wheel was bouncing. Mid-way through the tire life I got the bearings replaced and balance checked but didn't take the dealers suggestion to also replace the tire. Only when I deemed the tires sufficiently used up did I replace them and then the bouncing stopped. Lesson learned there.

Currently have 8k on a set of Avon Spirit ST and really like them but I doubt they'll go the distance the PR4 did.

Careful rev matching/clutch work when shifting and lighter acceleration/ braking can really extend tire life. I know...not any fun at all.

The key to tire life is proper suspension set up, 'n psi. I dun got 8,300 outta a set of T30s by running 42F 'n 45R, 'n bet you'd get that or more outta a set of PR5s? Get yerself a digital gauge so you know it's accurate, 'n air them babies up!

The key to tire life is proper suspension set up, 'n psi. I dun got 8,300 outta a set of T30s by running 42F 'n 45R, 'n bet you'd get that or more outta a set of PR5s? Get yerself a digital gauge so you know it's accurate, 'n air them babies up!
You have a ways to go for the record. Many have easily gotten 10K+ out of T30s. You may wanna re-check your suspension set up and buy a new gauge. That is all.  😎

Nick,

I got about 6k~7k miles on my Pirelli Angel GTs. 

That's more than okay by me, because the handling (and confidence) those tires gave me were much more important than having a rotten parade-duty tire that will last forever.

I know the good feel of new tires,  with almost any tire brand, but the improvements in feel and handling that I got from the Pirelli tires were far more than that.  YMMV.