Tire Pressure Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DennisJ

Reaction score
I went through the routine of checking tire pressures this afternoon after fueling up and again went through the 15 minute ordeal of trying to get the pressure gauge on the valve stem without losing several pounds of air and then having to reinflate so I can bleed air and get to the desired pressure. I'm using an Accurtire Digital Gauge that either reads zero or the correct pressure and have a difficult time, especially with the front wheel.

Is there something accurate and easier to use?

Dennis

you need these on your rim, then no issues: https://www.motorcycleanchor.com/tire_valves/index.htm

https://www.bikeeffects.com/proddetail.asp?prod=119701

Jeff at Bike Effects is a forum member and a preferred vendor...gives a discount too...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=23

5-valve-star_450x435.jpg

I don't know the brand on mine; it's the dial type with a little hose from the gauge to the part that fits over the valve stem. But as to the "easier to use" part of your question, I'll make two recommendations:

I know a lot of the folks use and swear by those 90 degree valve stems you put on when you mount the tire. They help--some--but to me, the really important thing is to get a gauge with a 90 degree fitting on the end, not one of those round-headed tips that are set at about 45 degrees. The straight 90o ones are much easier to get past the brake discs. I'd post a picture but my comp. is screwing up and all my graphics are lost in the ether somewhere. I don't even see the FJR Forum logo up on the top of the page right now. :(

These things work better whether you have straight valve stems or the 90o ones.

The other recommendation is to be sure you buy a gauge with a pressure release button on the hose in case you overfill the tires. So much easier to get the pressure perfect.

Edit: I see Tom got in ahead of me, but like I said, I can't see the pic on his link either. Does have the 90-degree head; can't tell if it has the pressure release thingy. Make sure you get both, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the $5 model available at the check out counter at Autozone. MCN did a tire gauge comparison on gauges a while ago and these turned out to be a "best buy". Surprisingly accurate! I've checked them against some high buck models and they are within 1 psi or so. Yes, you have to use some "wrist action" to get them to load correctly (as with ALL gauges) but, if you check your pressure, you're probably going to have to add some air anyway

Why spend the $$$$ unless you're on the track (in which case you'd use a temp gauge, in conjunction with a pressure gauge)

This is the one I am using: Accutire Talking Pressure Gauge, looks like the same one posted by TominCA. I like the idea of the right-angle valve stems but only have about 4000 miles on the original BT-021's. New valve stems will definitely go on when new tires go on, probably the end of May or early June depending on when it warms up here in the Seattle area. Bleed-off valve is also on my list of features. These guys are close to Adventure Motorsports in Monroe, WA so the next time I am up there during the week I will be visiting them. https://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/catlist.asp?catid=8.

Thanks for the ideas,

Dennis

I use a Power-Tank TIG-8200 inflator. I always need to put in a pound or two when I check once a month. This has a fluid-filled shock-resistant gauge. It's completely American-made too, for those that want that sort of thing. It's also got a really nice hose that swivels at the end, and the clip-on chuck actually clips on and stays on! The thumb lever's also a little easier to use than the gun-style triggers.

Basically I got tired of the inflators that had huge unreadable ranges of 250+lbs (this has 60lbs) and broke when you dropped them, and I bought one to last. The main thing I was looking for was a readable gauge.

31.802.600x400.TIG-8200-700.jpg

I also have the angled Bike Effects tire valves too, and they're a godsend.

EDIT: FYI, I stopped using those gas-station air pumps because (at least down in Florida) they pump as much water as air. I guess it's the humidity. I've had them fill tires with water you could hear slosh around when you took the wheel off and shook it. :(

I like digital best and this one I've had for years...stays accurate and has been robust

I can't quite remember where I purchased it...might be Whitehorse Press for about $35, but was like in 2003

I'm not sure it's still available and I don't see a brand name on it

google "digital tire pressure gauge with hose"

5277205924_36235e5e3c_m.jpg

Over the many years of driving, street riding and trials competition, I have accumulated a variety of pressure gauges. A 40-year old Dunlop stick gauge, an AccuGauge type ("Brookstone") dial gauge with a 12" hose and bleed valve, a stick type that came with my '92 Concours, a digital stick that came with an AMA membership, and a NAPA $5 stick. I have compared readings several times and they are all within one psi. The dial gauge is harder to get on the valve but the bleeder valve makes pressure adjusting easy. The stick gauges fit on the valve pretty well but you have to be sure the sliding scale doesn't hit anything when it pops out. The free AMA digital is what I carry. The numbers are kinda small but it gets on the valve easily. The rear wheel valve is easiest to access with a saddle bag removed. And where is it written that the front wheel will always be positioned with the valve between the fork tubes whenever I want to check pressures?

pete :cold:

...And where is it written that the front wheel will always be positioned with the valve between the fork tubes whenever I want to check pressures?...
When I check tire pressures I put my FJR on the center stand. While on the center stand I can grasp the front wheel and turn it with little effort until the valve reaches the preferred check location.

I've used an AccuGauge for years.

Clickable pix:

Clip the gauge's chuck on the wheel's valve stem and your compressor chuck fills at the fitting on the top of the gauge. There is also a pressure bleed button if you need to deflate. With 90º valve stems it's perfect.

I've also used Accu-Gage Dial Gauge Model RA60X for years. If anything ever goes wrong with one, I take advantage of their lifetime warranty and return the gauge to G.H. Meiser with $3.00 to cover shipping and handling.

A while ago, I happened to pick up one of their digital gauges at a local Pep Boys for about $10. Since I'd just had two of my RA60X gauges returned from the factory, I was pretty certain that they were accurately calibrated so I had the opportunity to test the accuracy of the digital gauge against the two dial gauges. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all three gauges registered the exact same PSI.

Here's the Digital Gauge Model# DT107 that I purchased from Pep Boys

DT107_sm.jpg

Here's the Dial Gauge with Hose Model #RA60X that I purchased directly from G.H. Meiser & Co.

ra60x4.jpg

It's not a very good shot my I use Smart Tire and I have it mounted on my bike. It's hard to see in the photo but it is just above the 70 degree temp on the top right. It is wireless out of the way and shows me both my tire pressure and internal heat temp for both front and rear. If the pressure changes up or down by more than 6 pounds I get a flashing light. It has saved my bacon more than once and the last time was just 2 months ago. I also have the 90 degree tire stems and they also work great.

I have a cheap plastic digital guage from Autozone - "Monkey wrench" brand, or something. And a nice analog guage from Cyclegear, their house brand. And a Specialized bicycle tire pump with a large analog guage. Amazingly, they all match exactly. What are they odds?

As an aside, why in the heck did Yamaha put the valve stems up next to the wheel spokes? It is so annoying. My wife's Honda also has 3 spoke wheels, and they thoughtfully put the valves in the exact middle between two spokes. So much easier to check the air pressure.

The rear wheel valve is easiest to access with a saddle bag removed. And where is it written that the front wheel will always be positioned with the valve between the fork tubes whenever I want to check pressures?
on the road, I carry a Accugage digital stick, but have never used it...before a trip and twice a month I check and adjust pressures

btw, in garage, compressor on to fill tank, bike on centerstand, examine front wheel and rotate it by hand for valve stem at 7 o'clock.

right angle stems...eazy peezy...back wheel on centerstand up in air...rotate till valve stem at 4 o'clock

no fuss, no muss

BTW, both tires contain "Ride On" which I believe in and have self plugged numberous punctures...had about ten in the 2 years following Katrina with all the crapola all over the roads

I use a basic air chuck like this.

44471_300.jpg

I also have a Motoboss air pressure gauge that is at a right angle.

Got it at Cyclegear

mb_digital_tire_gauge_MD.jpg

This makes it easy peasy with regular valve stems.

It's not a very good shot my I use Smart Tire and I have it mounted on my bike. It's hard to see in the photo but it is just above the 70 degree temp on the top right. It is wireless out of the way and shows me both my tire pressure and internal heat temp for both front and rear. If the pressure changes up or down by more than 6 pounds I get a flashing light. It has saved my bacon more than once and the last time was just 2 months ago. I also have the 90 degree tire stems and they also work great.
FYI SmarTire does not make or support the SmarTire for Motorcycles any longer. Link to website