Tire Pressure Gauge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a very good shot my I use Smart Tire and I have it mounted on my bike. It's hard to see in the photo but it is just above the 70 degree temp on the top right. It is wireless out of the way and shows me both my tire pressure and internal heat temp for both front and rear. If the pressure changes up or down by more than 6 pounds I get a flashing light. It has saved my bacon more than once and the last time was just 2 months ago. I also have the 90 degree tire stems and they also work great.
FYI SmarTire does not make or support the SmarTire for Motorcycles any longer. Link to website
They have not supported them for some time now but the good news is they work great and i have had no issues since the install over 3 years ago.

This one: Cheap, reasonably accurate, 90 degree head.

31yUr0fLSHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
+1 on this one. Have been using it for a few months now. Nice thing is that it is a talking pressure gauge. Will only give you a reading if it gets a good read. Angled tip works well.

It's not a very good shot my I use Smart Tire and I have it mounted on my bike. It's hard to see in the photo but it is just above the 70 degree temp on the top right. It is wireless out of the way and shows me both my tire pressure and internal heat temp for both front and rear. If the pressure changes up or down by more than 6 pounds I get a flashing light. It has saved my bacon more than once and the last time was just 2 months ago. I also have the 90 degree tire stems and they also work great.
FYI SmarTire does not make or support the SmarTire for Motorcycles any longer. Link to website
They have not supported them for some time now but the good news is they work great and i have had no issues since the install over 3 years ago.
Thanks Trent. I can't have one so you have to make me feel bad about it. Rub it in some more buddy.

Thanks Trent. I can't have one so you have to make me feel bad about it. Rub it in some more buddy.
Hey Johnny, you can always buy it in Europe. LINK I wouldn't leave you without a solution this time of year buddy! :rolleyes:

I own three Accutire 4000 tire pressure gauges . . . They are read exactly the same and they match the five tire pressure sensors in my car's wheels.

https://www.amazon.co...93088187&sr=1-6

41E60R8BN9L._SS400_.jpg

However the most flexible (and it happens to also be at least as accurate) that I use for the bike is from Oxford and is called the DigiGauge.

This reads in .1 pound increments and can read out in PSI, Kpa or Bars it has a bleeder (and two modes - one that holds the reading and another that re-reads while you watch) and the head rotates for best position. There are two leds - one to light the valve and a second one to light the display - they are controlled separately to conserve battery power.

A bit pricey ($25) but flexible.

https://www.aviciouscycle.ca/digigaugeoxford.html

oxforddigigaugemed.jpg

(The above reposted from: )

Last edited by a moderator:
While I've found digital and dial gauges to be convenient and consistent,

I haven't found any that were actually accurate.

The last four I had all read about three pounds low.

I looking for one that can match the accuracy of my old "stick".

Have any of you compared your gauge to a calibrated one?

Have you had your stick calibrated recently? They tend to not deliver consistent results, whereas many digital gauges are self calibrating.

Instead of the last 4 digital gauges reading 3 pounds low, perhaps your stick is reading 3 pounds high?

When I check tire pressures I put my FJR on the center stand. While on the center stand I can grasp the front wheel and turn it with little effort until the valve reaches the preferred check location.

I've used an AccuGauge for years.

Clickable pix:

Clip the gauge's chuck on the wheel's valve stem and your compressor chuck fills at the fitting on the top of the gauge. There is also a pressure bleed button if you need to deflate. With 90º valve stems it's perfect.
I have the exact same gauge and use the same procedure as Ionbeam. I will add that this gauge works fine with the straight stems too.

When I check tire pressures I put my FJR on the center stand. While on the center stand I can grasp the front wheel and turn it with little effort until the valve reaches the preferred check location.

I've used an AccuGauge for years.

Clickable pix:

Clip the gauge's chuck on the wheel's valve stem and your compressor chuck fills at the fitting on the top of the gauge. There is also a pressure bleed button if you need to deflate. With 90º valve stems it's perfect.
I have the exact same gauge and use the same procedure as Ionbeam. I will add that this gauge works fine with the straight stems too.
+1

6 years on mine and it matches my Doran TPI over 2 different units. The fill through is also a great plus. Great gauge.

Have you had your stick calibrated recently? They tend to not deliver consistent results, whereas many digital gauges are self calibrating.

Instead of the last 4 digital gauges reading 3 pounds low, perhaps your stick is reading 3 pounds high?
Well yes, actually I have. After destroying two sets of tires on my car I had all eight of my gauges checked.

Six out of eight went in the trash: three digital, one dial and two sticks.

You see, I check tire pressures on all my vehicles at least once a week. But persistence is not a substitute for accuracy.

Don't underestimate the lowly stick.

Latest posts