Tire Repair (internal patch) in Sacramento/Auburn area?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exskibum

~<>~<>~<>~<>~
Reaction score
Yesterday (4/16/2020), I got a clean nail sized hole in my rear tire about 3 miles from home. Nothing stuck in it, so probably caused by a glass shard. I repaired it with sticky string, inflated it and rode home.

Now, for the first time in a dozen years, I'm looking for someplace to patch it from the inside and keep striking out. The tire is a 180/55 ZR17 Pilot Road 2 with approx 1,200 miles on it. The hole is toward the middle of the tread right in the thickest part of the still substantial rubber (no sipe involved). IOW, it's a prime candidate for safe repair. I'd bring in the wheel (off the bike), and if necessary, will take the tire off the rim so that dismounting, mounting and balancing are unnecessary. So - just looking for someone with experience to patch it from the inside. 

Does anyone have a lead on a tire or MC shop in the Sacramento, Auburn or Grass Valley (Northern Calif) area who might be willing to do the repair?

Personally, I’d run it with the sticky string.

Canadian FJR
I agree.  If it is a clean hole and doesn't involve anything close to the sidewall.  For a larger hole or anything elongated at all, I would be happier with an internal patch or, better still,  a patch-plug.  Because of concerns over potential liability, a lot of shops won't repair a motorcycle tire.

Sounds like at the worst you could find a slow leak--doesn't sound like the structural integrity of the tire is compromised (I used big words to sound like I know what I'm talking about).  But I've used SS on a pretty new tire and rode it till it was bald, and on an old tire that was already bald.  The string never let me down.  

So does this mean you're actually still riding a motorcycle, Rich?

Good luck Rich, but I doubt you'll find a tire shop that will perform a plug / patch on an MC tire. In the mind of any business, there's just too much assumed liability. For reference, I'm not aware of any business in the Seattle area that will plug or patch an MC tire. 

FWIW, I'm wearing out a relatively new sticky-stringed rear PR4 repaired in the same general area as you've described. I plan to run it out.

~G

So you guys are recommending the lazy way. THAT's something I can get done! 

Only thing is: this patch just went too smoothly. Two kind older ladies (I know - contemporaries) in an extra cab pickup stopped, drove us home (3 miles away); then we grabbed a 'Baru, portable air pressure tank* and my garage air gauge, drove back, and I swear I've never had an easier (Murphy conspicuously absent) run through the repair process. So . . .

Can I really trust a repair that didn't require cussin', a tip-over, or 2 to 4 attempts, busted knuckles and took only a half hour to complete? 

Yes, riding very occasionally, Mike. It's shameful, but I've ridden so little since 2014 that the bike only just turned 59K. Looking forward to being able to plan a 4 day weekend on the roads outta Fortuna.   Lost Coast, Ave of Giants, 36, 3, 299,  96, 1 between Leggett and coast. Getting old, and a redux of the old days would be pleasantly deceiving. 

* Best decision was accepting ride to retrieve air tank instead of using my on-bike compressor. Second best decision was having kept the written string instructions onboard - haven't used string kit since 2008 or 09. 

Good luck Rich, but I doubt you'll find a tire shop that will perform a plug / patch on an MC tire. In the mind of any business, there's just too much assumed liability. For reference, I'm not aware of any business in the Seattle area that will plug or patch an MC tire. 

FWIW, I'm wearing out a relatively new sticky-stringed rear PR4 repaired in the same general area as you've described. I plan to run it out.

~G
Thanks, George. I'll consider the "Master Plugger's" advice as authoritative on those issues. 😉  Explains the uniformity of responses I was getting, too.  

Did you plug it dry or with glue?  I usually use the rubber cement and then check pressure regularly for a few days.  Haven't had a plug fail yet.  Current rear tire picked up a roofing nail a couple of weeks after installation. Sticky string still holding since last season.  Reminds me, I need to get another tube of cement - often dries up once tube is opened.  Package of strings is probably four years old- probably time to replace them or at least make sure they haven't hardened up.  

I used glue (rubber cement), and it just happened that I had a 10 yr old *NOS* sealed tube of it, still runny inside. My strings are 6 or 12 yrs old, but pretty good condition - double wrapped and in a tubular plastic container. I'll keep checking the air pressure to monitor, as you suggest. 

I say bullshit. You haven't been on a bike in how many years?????   Get fresh gooey strings  and glue the fucker. Sam and I are riding Sunday if yer up to it old guy. 😈

I bought some tire plugs from Firestone that are an inside flat patch with a plug on it. I had a real small leak that when I finally found it the hole looked like it was from a staple. I cut the plug off the patch then whizzed the inside of the tire and glued the flat patch on. Never a problem since that fix and since I have my own tire changer/balance life is easy. I have never had a problem with a sticky plug on a bike and that includes a front tire. I have seen people that would let their bike sit on the side of the road before they would usa a sticky plug but yet get a can of fix-a-flat to ride home on. Do what you feel comfy with and keep on riding.

I say bullshit. You haven't been on a bike in how many years?????   Get fresh gooey strings  and glue the fucker. Sam and I are riding Sunday if yer up to it old guy. 😈
^THIS^ Because Mr. Bug is soooooo eloquent. :lol2:

I've used the cheap works 'n they usually work fine, butt rode over a 3/8" bolt once, 'n the hole was too big for worms, so I got a Stop & Go kit. (They'll plug a larger hole.) Recently bought a DynaPlug kit since they're right down in Chico; has a little pump 'n a few plugs. Fer some reason I seem to get a lotta flats, so I always keep plugs, 'n pump on the bike.

^THIS^ Because Mr. Bug is soooooo eloquent. :lol2:

I've used the cheap works 'n they usually work fine, butt rode over a 3/8" bolt once, 'n the hole was too big for worms, so I got a Stop & Go kit. (They'll plug a larger hole.) Recently bought a DynaPlug kit since they're right down in Chico; has a little pump 'n a few plugs. Fer some reason I seem to get a lotta flats, so I always keep plugs, 'n pump on the bike.
Didn't even get a response from Mr Skibum, guess I shouldn't have sugar coated my post.😛

I got a MC tire patched at a used tire shop in my area.  Cost me a whopping $12, but that was several years ago.

Didn't even get a response from Mr Skibum, guess I shouldn't have sugar coated my post.😛
Naw, Doug. It was just a tacit admission that I couldn't keep up with you. If we ain't on skis, you're going to run away from my aging a$$. Went for a short ride on the plugged tire yesterday with GF - as you know: everything's green, there's lotsa water in the creeks and rivers, Covid-19 is keeping the traffic down and the weather couldn't be much better. 

Naw, Doug. It was just a tacit admission that I couldn't keep up with you. If we ain't on skis, you're going to run away from my aging a$$. Went for a short ride on the plugged tire yesterday with GF - as you know: everything's green, there's lotsa water in the creeks and rivers, Covid-19 is keeping the traffic down and the weather couldn't be much better. 
Skis are not going to happen... I'm old and slow now.   Glad you got out, Ca is mighty purdy these days.

Latest posts