Tire Repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading the above linked thread where many peeps have described inconsistent results with mushroom plugs and universal praise for the sticky string method you can.............
Well not universal praise... I had the sticky string come out of the rear tire on my RZ-350 once, and I know I did a pretty good job of a repair. I now don't consider a tire "repaired" unless it's got an internal patch, and everything else is "just get me home" stuff as far as I'm concerned.
Well, just goes to show you there is always one RETARD in every bunch. :D

Don't know what to tell you. I have put thousands of miles on many sticky string repairs. These repairs have seen speeds in excess of 140, and I have ridden these repaired tires to the cords. Never a leak.
And a winrar is me! I *think* the problem was the tire pressure got more than a bit low (slow leak I didn't catch) then it overheated and melted the plug glue. Plus the tire was almost bald and worn enough to be very flexible, or maybe it was that flexible since it got so overheated. Who knows. However, I'm probably going to not carry around my (unused) stop'n'go kit any more, and go back to string plugs. This thread made me do a Google search in general, not just this forum, and the rest of the net appears to be in agreement with you.

I mushroom plugged a tire coming home on a BBG from WFO-5... it held, but had a slow leak. I subsequently learned about the sticky strings and now carry both. I used the strings in the latest puncture wound on the way to NAFO... and it held and is still holding like a champ. I've also got an electrical plug wired to my Centech and a Slime compressor in a saddlebag. The compressor kicks ASS compared to the CO2 cartridges... if you screw those up you're hosed, and you probably won't get as much pressure as you'd like anyway.

My vote is sticky strings, with mushrooms as a backup, and a slime compressor.

Count me as one that prefers the sticky strings. I've used both the plugs and strings. I found that, if the puncture/hole is in any kind of an angle (from 90 deg of the tire surface) the plugs can work them selfs out enough to start leaking, or pop out all together. Seen this happen twice.

Sticky strings it is! And I just ordered the Slime compressor. That is a sweet looking piece of equipment and has all the accessories with it! A bit pricey, but I tend to go with the good stuff. Thanks to everybody for their input. Quite a thread going here.

Again, thanks to all!

Steve

To add, ordered the compressor from Cycle Gadgets. Tim was going to ship it out today. Good folks!

Steve

No takers for the "fix-a-flat" aerosol canisters? That's what I have under my seat 9 and a large can in the top case on long rides). Never had a flat (knock on wood) , I figure any roadside repair is going to take me to the nearest tire repair shop where they put a patch inside.

bandito: I'm with you, I always have a can of "fix-a-flat" with me when I travel; and it's always got me to a safe repair spot.

But be prepared my friend, mere mention of word "fix-a-flat" is going to send SkooterG into an early menopausal hissy fit!

Hell, since you have already poked him with a stick without your knowing it: I also always use Slime sealant in my M/C tires.

Looking out my office window towards Scottsdale I see a plume of smoke going up: That would be GregM's head exploding!!!

bandito: I'm with you, I always have a can of "fix-a-flat" with me when I travel; and it's always got me to a safe repair spot.
But be prepared my friend, mere mention of word "fix-a-flat" is going to send SkooterG into an early menopausal hissy fit!

Hell, since you have already poked him with a stick without your knowing it: I also always use Slime sealant in my M/C tires.

Looking out my office window towards Scottsdale I see a plume of smoke going up: That would be GregM's head exploding!!!
Does it spin before it explodes? :D

Moral of this thread...you can lead a rider to stringy-thingy...but you can't make him use it.

...Unless they've used the last mushroom. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck that POS Stop-n-go!
Obviously recommended by peeps that have NOT repaired multiple flats. If they had, they would know that the mushroon plugs of the Stop-n-go are not nearly as reliable as the sticky string. And don't even get me started on that Ride-On crap.
What's the problem with ride-on it's saved me before....it's water soluble. and no flats with it in a tire (i have first hand knowledge of that)

What's the problem with ride-on it's saved me before....it's water soluble. and no flats with it in a tire (i have first hand knowledge of that)
Well, besides the problem of not knowing when you have something nasty in your tire because there is no indication, that shit fuked up my rim - CLICKY HERE. And it;s a PITA to deal with when changing tires. And lastly, it did not consistenly hold air after I got a wood screw in my tire. Over the course of a couple weeks, before I had a new tire put on, I lost air overnight on several occasions. NOT confidence inspiring.

My new Avon is hissing with a small finish nail stuck in it.

Almost hate to start reaming it out with that 3/8" rasp!

Is there a smaller version of the string?

I carry the slime compressor, stop and go plugs, and string. The sticky string is for me and the mushroom plugs are for others on the road. Beautiful piece of surgical quality gear, but the two times I used the muchroom plugs they failed quickly. I won't use them on my bike again. In fact, I'm going home tonight and toss it out (unless I can figure out something else to use it for) - I won't let someone else use them either! My thoughts based on my experience.

This guy has an excellent kit that is as small as it gets...single tool for reeming and insertion that is garunteed for life, refills are cheap and service is fast and friendly>>>

king of string