tire repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabrzn

Reaction score
Has anyone made an on the road repair with the Stop and Go mushroom style plug repair kit? I bought one and practiced with it on an old tire. I was a bit surprised I could easily pull the plug out from the inside of the tire with my fingers. I put another plug in and was just as surprised I could push it out of the tire from the outside with a Q Tip. I then installed a “string” type plug which I used for years and I couldn’t pull it out with a pair of pliers. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I’ve read numerous reviews about how good the mushroom type plug is, but don’t have a lot of confidence the plugs will stay in.

Thanks in advance.

Has anyone made an on the road repair with the Stop and Go mushroom style plug repair kit? I bought one and practiced with it on an old tire. I was a bit surprised I could easily pull the plug out from the inside of the tire with my fingers. I put another plug in and was just as surprised I could push it out of the tire from the outside with a Q Tip. I then installed a “string” type plug which I used for years and I couldn’t pull it out with a pair of pliers. I followed the instructions to the letter.
I’ve read numerous reviews about how good the mushroom type plug is, but don’t have a lot of confidence the plugs will stay in.

Thanks in advance.
Stringie type for me only. I've read on here about some bad experiences with the mushroom - don't have the links. I have seen first hand the staying power of the stringie for miles of twisties...so I'm convinced on the stringie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plugged a screw hole in my tire tread and then did a BBG+ and another 800 mile day, with only a small leak that I had to refill overnight. I rode that tire with the plugged hole for about another month, before I broke down and replaced it. I carry both the plugs and the strings nowadays.

I had a large hole in my rear tire down in Alabama a couple of years ago. A buddy had the mushroom style and I had the strings. I put in mushrooms twice and still leaked both times. I ended up using 3 strings to plug the hole. It was a large hole but I was able to get to a hotel 15 miles away and get off the highway with string type where as I would have had to get a towed to get off the highway if we had only the mushrooms. I only carry string plugs because of this. I have patched 5 motorcycle tires and 3 car tires with my string kit since I bought it in 1996. I use them as an emergency repair on motorcycles and leave them in car tires.

String tire plugs are definitely the way to go for an emergency/temporary repair. THey are just as quick to install as the mushroom type plugs, but have a higher success rate. As the prior post points out they may even be a good enough repair to leave in for cages, where you have 2 spare wheels on the ground, assuming you stick to "legal" speeds.

For a motorcycle, a flat can be a life threatening situation, depending on when and where it happens. For this reason I would advocate removing the string plug at the earliest opportunity and installing a real T-style combination patch/plug if one wants to salvage the remaining mileage left in the tire.

Combination patch/plugs install from the inside, and therefore require that the tire be removed from the wheel, or at least one of the beads. The inside surface of the tire must also be prepped for good adhesion of the flat part of the patch, so it does take a little time to install. These are the only kind of patch that are allowed to be installed in Z rated radial tires and still maintain their speed rating of the repaired tire.

They look like this and come in different sizes for different sized holes.

I wonder if some people confuse these tee style patch/plugs with the term "mushroom plug" since there do look a little like a Shitake mushroom.

Like Groo, I have put plenty of miles on string type plugs with no issues. If I'm taking a tire off the rim I'm going to replace it and not spend an hour cleaning it so I can put another patch on it.

JW

Like Groo, I have put plenty of miles on string type plugs with no issues. If I'm taking a tire off the rim I'm going to replace it and not spend an hour cleaning it so I can put another patch on it.
JW
I'm just reporting what the safest way to go is and the way that is recommended by tire professionals.

Not necessarily the least amount of work.

Ya' pays ya' money and ya' takes ya' chances...

I always use the sticky string plugs and have never had a problem with them in all the years I've used them on both cars and motorcycles.

On the other hand, I have read of people on other forums having problems with the mushroom plugs on motorcycle tires.

I've had a black string plug blow out of a car tire once, but I've read that the commercial grade orange colored ones are superior, I don't know.

I've plugged two car tires with the stop-n-go mushroom plugs and they're still holding air, thankfully I haven't had to plug a bike tire yet.

I did some more highly scientific research by plugging my neighbors utility trailer tire with the mushroom Stop and Go; the plug seated firmly in the trailer tire. I'm assuming it stayed in pretty well because the trailer tire is thicker than the worn out bike tire, more surface area to grab onto.

I'm sending the Stop and Go back which is kinda of a shame since it's a fun gizmo to use :)

IMHO good decision. I plugged a tire with the mushroom and it squirted out - on in - in less than 100 miles.

You're right, it is a pretty neat tool, more like a surgical instrument than a tire repair gimmick!

I'm in the string-plug camp too. While I've never used the mushrooms, I've been on trips where people have and the results were seldom very good. In contrast, I've never seen a string-plug yet that couldn't be limped home on and generally you can run the plugged tire to the end of its life. (Having said this, if I get home with a plugged tire and it has sufficient life to take another trip, I'll dismount it and do an internal patch too.)

- Mark

I've used mushroom-plugs and strings with good results, however... if the hole in the tire is at an angle (which is often the case), the plugs can work themselve out, and the strings are the better fix.