tire repair

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can the sticky strings be used as is, or do they need to be used with cement? Seems like every time I've needed to patch a bicycle tire the cement is dried out.

can someone who knows please inform me as to where i can buy a string kit? i have a little trip coming up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can the sticky strings be used as is, or do they need to be used with cement? Seems like every time I've needed to patch a bicycle tire the cement is dried out.
Yes, no additional cement needed.
Hmmm. Well, I must admit that I've never tried not using the cement provided with the sticky string in the kit. I guess since the instructions tell you to use it I just always have. Good to know that you can use them dry in a pinch, though.

It seems like it helps to bond the sticky part of the patch with the rubber of the tire after the cement dries making the patch seal better. It definitely lubricates the needle, making it easy to remove after the plug is in the proper position.

The only way that I can see it being dried up is if the tube of cement had been previously used. With as cheap as these kits are, and as infrequently as they are required, I just always keep a fresh kit on-board and use the cement as directed.

Hmmm. Well, I must admit that I've never tried not using the cement provided with the sticky string in the kit. I guess since the instructions tell you to use it I just always have. Good to know that you can use them dry in a pinch, though.

It seems like it helps to bond the sticky part of the patch with the rubber of the tire after the cement dries making the patch seal better. It definitely lubricates the needle, making it easy to remove after the plug is in the proper position.

The only way that I can see it being dried up is if the tube of cement had been previously used. With as cheap as these kits are, and as infrequently as they are required, I just always keep a fresh kit on-board and use the cement as directed.
Fred W, I've always used the strings with the cement applied to the strings right out of the package, so, I can't say the strings would seal, installing them dry. :glare:

Fred W, I've always used the strings with the cement applied to the strings right out of the package, so, I can't say the strings would seal, installing them dry. :glare:
OK, now I'm thoroughly confused. Do you use the cement that comes in the little tube with the sticky strings, or do you use the sticky strings without any cement? From your prior post it sounded like the latter.

A full kit is shown in the first picture at this web site: Linky

Last edited by a moderator:

OK, now I'm thoroughly confused. Do you use the cement that comes in the little tube with the sticky strings, or do you use the sticky strings without any cement? From your prior post it sounded like the latter.

I use the self vulcanizing type strings, which don't need additional cement.

I use the self vulcanizing type strings, which don't need additional cement.
Aha!! That's what I was missing. I did not realize that there are different types of string type plugs.

I've used muchroom plugs on both the bike and now I put one on the rear tire of my Pickup truck. I picked up a big wood screw just below the cap on the casing of the tire. Tried string/rubber glue first, with no luck. Moved to a mush plug 3 days ago. So far, so good.

I carry a Stop N Go in the top box, and now am thinking of getting two more kits for the car and truck.

Another vote for strings. I've got one in my almost new PR now and plan to run it out. I find the plugs to be difficult to install and less reliable.

I've had good luck with the mushroom plug. I've plugged 3 motorcycle tires and 1 car tire with no failures. Ran all of them till the tires were worn to the point of needing replacement. Even ran one on my FJR up to 120+ with no problems. Just my opinion, but I think if they are installed correctly, they work.Two of them did have slow leaks, but were ok if I checked and aired them up every week or so.

GP

I used top carry the mushrooms, but after them failing on me several times in spectacular fashion, I went back to the strings. been using them for years adn never had them fail. My truack has them in all 4 tires ( I do alot of construction sometimes) so screws adn nails are a daily occurence. I think my passenger rear has more than 5 of them and it does not leak at all. I keep the strings and a disassembelrd wal mart compressor under my seat at all times.

I plugged a tire on a Jeep Commanche 3 years ago with a Stop and Go mushroom plug. The tire only loses pressure when I check the pressure.

FWIW, I picked up a screw in a brand new tire while on my way to Lee Park's TC School a few years ago. One of his instructors used a string type plug and it held very well. He was an ex racer and said he had raced on plugged tires numerous times with no issues.

That being said, I carry both. So far they both have worked, but only one has been tested by me on a m/c tire.

Well, after reading through this thread, it's "clearly unclear" as to whether there's a "best" product to use. I'm a mushroom guy myself, having tried both methods. But I guess "whatever works for you" is the way to go. I'm in the process if writing a "how to" article on the Stop and Go for a moto club mag I publish and now I'm considering adding a piece on the string plugs.

One thing on the mush plugs: Over extended periods of time the plugs get dried out and brittle. I discovered this when I had my Stop and Go kit sitting in the top box for something like 4-5 years without ever been used. When I went to use it I discovered the plugs fell apart when I went to draw them with the pliers out after being installed. So I got some fresh ones and no problem. Also, I keep a small tube of petroleum jelly with the kit to lubricate the stem. These eases the strain on the plugs when you go to remove the plug tool from the tire puncture and also makes it easier to draw the plug all the way out after insertion.

I personally found the string plugs messy, but only have tried them once, as I posted above. Prolly, with some practice, I might get good at it.

BTW, my truck's still holding it's air pressure after having been mushroom plugged.

YMMV!

Latest posts