Tire vibration after 75 mph

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTXEDFJR

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the tires or not but my new 07 is smoothe as butter untill 75 mph then it seems like a different bike. it seems the tires are vibrating but it's a different feel. Any one else notice this.

Steve

I don't know if it's the tires or not but my new 07 is smoothe as butter untill 75 mph then it seems like a different bike. it seems the tires are vibrating but it's a different feel. Any one else notice this.
Steve
Same thing here!!!!! After 75 yes!!!! and after 80, somewhat annoying!!!!! Making it an unconforftable ride! Like work not fun!!!

I had the same thing happen to me when I had the dealership put on a new tire. When I brought it back in for a check, it was found to be about an 1oz off on the balance.

That was my cure.

Balance your own tires.

The best commercial shop balancers I have found, don't come close to the accuracy of my Marc Parnes and little patience.

Balance your own tires.The best commercial shop balancers I have found, don't come close to the accuracy of my Marc Parnes and little patience.
Yup!! And 75-80 is just about where the slightly out of balance effect will take place.

Another possibility is that 'Stone 020s will "thrum" when they get older. The "cupping" can cause a funny sensation in the handlebars.

My very first experience with dealer installed tires, as the tech walked from the mounting rig RIGHT PAST THE BALANCER to the bike, I asked, "aren't you going to balance that?"

"oh, we don't balance them. We never have a problem."

So - odds are it's out of balance.

And like JeffAshe says - "The best commercial shop balancers I have found, don't come close to the accuracy of my Marc Parnes and little patience."

Sitting in my garage is a MP balancer, HF changer, and a Mojo lever.

My ROI was three tires.

Sitting in my garage is a MP balancer, HF changer, and a Mojo lever.
My ROI was three tires.
I'm running the exact same setup, ain't it grand? B)

Definatly an out of ballance tire IMO. My last tire change has 1.125 oz front and remarkably, nothing rear on a set of 021's

I really can't add anything more, all is great advice. My vote is balance also.

It's possible the tire is bad but rare.

The bike is a brand new 07 with less then 300 miles on it. A dealer hasn't touched the tires yet. Unless they have to put tires on when it comes in to them but don't think so, never seen a bike come in a dealer with no tires. I'll check to make sure the tire is on the rim the correct way and lookfor a dent in the rim which another poster said but don't think so.

Steve

Make sure the front axle bolt and the pinch bolts are torqued correctly. The bike is delivered with the front wheel off so the dealer has to install it.

I doubt the factory balances each wheel and tire before they go out the door, so that you have only 300 miles probably wouldn't make much difference. Being a new bike, I'd let the dealer balance them.

The bike is a brand new 07 with less then 300 miles on it. A dealer hasn't touched the tires yet. Unless they have to put tires on when it comes in to them but don't think so, never seen a bike come in a dealer with no tires. I'll check to make sure the tire is on the rim the correct way and lookfor a dent in the rim which another poster said but don't think so.
Steve
Had an experience with a nasty vibration through the handlebars that was so extreme it seriously scared me. Brought the entire front wheel with tire mounted to local motorcycle shop where it was mounted on a dynamic wheel balancer & found to be ok. Steering head bearings checked ok, rim was ok, axle ok., wheel bearings ok. Absolutely everything checked out ok. The so called experts could not find the source of the problem. A friend and back yard mechanic suggested I bring the motorcycle to his place where he placed the front wheel of the bike on an old fashioned motor driven drum that was, many years ago, the method used to check wheel balance. Amazing! At 60 kph the handlebars began vibrating; at 80 kph the windshield was oscillating, at 100 the entire front end was out of control. His conclucion; the tire was delaminating. The interior plies(layers that make up the carcass) were coming apart and eventually the tire would self destruct & I would crash. I replaced the tire and had the faulty tire examined and sure enough it was faulty & indeed coming apart from the inside. I have been riding 43 years, owned about 25 different bikes & had this experience only once. A lesson learned!

I run "Ride On" in my tires for puncture self repair to get home and it's effectiveness to balance a wheel/tire as needed.

I still have the shop balance my newly installed tires, but the "Ride On" helps.

From the Ride On motorcycle formula website:

Balancing and Ride and Stability Issues

The product manufactured by our leading competitor was originally designed for use in bicycle tires, and according to their website is “not intended for speeds in excess of 75 mph”. Ride-On is designed to actually help hydrodynamically balance tires at highway speeds. Once installed in a tire, it will actually act to dampen vibrations for the life of a tire so you do not need periodic rebalancing. Although we don’t condone speeding, our dealers and customers comment that their bikes actually run smoother at speeds as high as 150 mph. Ride-On should be installed in tires and wheels that have been professionally mounted and balanced. Once installed, you should not try to rebalance a tire containing Ride-On – just let it do what it is was formulated to do!

I buy mine on ebay...

Just my 1.5 cents,

Mike in Nawlins'

Latest posts