Tires and Suspension

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
There is a thread going on about the Michelin PR6 and comments about tire cupping. I wanted to start this thread to bring a different prospective about tire wear and suspension.

Here is a video by Max McAllister of Traxxion Dynamics talking about tire pressures. I will state that I was very skeptical with Max's theory because it goes against everything I was taught about tire wear and pressures. But I thought why not let's give it a try. I used to subscribe to the old theory of higher pressures to combat cupping.

Max (starting about the 6 minute mark) talks about having proper suspension, which many of us do have aftermarket suspension on our bikes. He is using a Gold wing as his example, but I think this theory should carry over to any motorcycle. Max is stating that you should not have to increase the pressures due to cupping. In fact, he says, that if the suspension is properly set up, you should have no cupping whatsoever and your tire life should increase significantly.

I thought yeah right. But decided to try it on my Gold Wing. I have Traxxion's Mega Monty suspension system (front fork cartridges/springs, rear shock/spring, fork brace, billet triple clamp and tapered bearings). I put a Dunlop Elite 4 on the front and run a car tire on the rear. I set the cold front tire pressure at 34 psi and the rear at 28 psi (Hot pressure is front 38, 36 rear as read on my FOBO2 tire pressure monitors). After 7500 miles on the tires, the front looked practically brand new, and the rear also looked really good. The riding was about 1/3 high speed interstate, 1/3 2 lane highways, and 1/3 tight twisties. All the miles were two up. Absolutely no cupping on the front tire (N/A for the rear). I changed the front because I had a long trip planned and was not sure how far the tire would go. I put a new front Dunlop E4 for the trip. After 11,000 miles the tire is about 2/3 worn, and no cupping whatsoever. The ride is very smooth and very good traction in the corner wet or dry.

here is a picture of the 7500 mile tire
i-H5s6qLF-L.jpg

here is the 11,000 mile tire (you can clearly see the abrasion from the twisties in Northern California)
i-HPbDF57-L.jpg

My point is that many of us have always gone with the 42/42 pressures because of cupping and the weight of the bike. It might be worth re-thinking that philosophy. Granted I am pushing Gold Wing through the twisties and getting these results. You might get similar with your FJR equipped with aftermarket suspension. And maybe get more miles with a smoother ride.

Last edited: