Tires - The aftermath

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
Well, the big ride is over and was just wondering how everyone's experience with tires worked out?

As for myself I ran the PR3's and they worked awesome (for me). Ran the whole distance without issue. The front is a little cupped but still in great shape. The rear is just starting to flat spot and has a little scalloping on the sides, but is still quite ride-able.

I still have my previous set of PR3's I was going to slap back on after the rally. But the rally tires are in such good shape I see no reason I cant run them for another few thousand miles.

- Colin

I ran PR2s. Ran up to Cranberry with the front, I am debating on trying to run it on my 10/10ths next month. I would need 25k+ for it to last.

Off topic: Colin - What kind of trailer did you pull down to PA?

I liked it and thought of my wife's overpacking issue and wondered if that might work for me.

I ran a Pirelli the first leg (had about a 1,000 miles on it and snagged from Las Vegas after my Alamo debacle with a PR3).

Second and third leg I ran a Dunlop Road Smart 2 and fairly impressed with it. Predictable, decent grip, It did start to howl just a few hundred miles out of Sacramento and was down to the bottom of the tread at the finish line, but seemed to wear evenly. And I got the impression it would go another 1000 miles and start to show cords at a fuel stop without exploding unexpectedly, but no empiracal evidence for sure.

Even with losing 35 pounds I'm still a big guy and must be hard on them ol' tires. Or maybe Leg #2 snagging Pony Express locations and going to the top of Pike's Peak was a bit hard on it. I'd do a RS2 again.....

Mounting up one of my new PR3s for the rally next month. I have confidence in it to get to Montana, run a 32 hour rally, and make it back home.

PR2 on the front, and it still has a few thousand miles left in it. Ran a Michelin Exalto on the rear, and it should be good for another 25-30 thousand miles (barely broken in during the IBR).

I ran PR2s. Ran up to Cranberry with the front, I am debating on trying to run it on my 10/10ths next month. I would need 25k+ for it to last.
Just as an update on the tires. Took Debbie on vacation for a week. Two up towing a fully loaded trailer. Dont have the exact numbers, but probably another 1200 miles on the tires,

So to sum up for the PR3's that are still on the FJR:

- 9400 miles for the IBR

- 800 miles towing the trailer to and from the start

- 1200+ miles touring two-up plus a fully loaded trailer

And the tires still have more life left in them! They are worn and getting cupped on the shoulders of the tire, but all the groves in the middle are still present and they are still quite usable.

Off topic: Colin - What kind of trailer did you pull down to PA?

I liked it and thought of my wife's overpacking issue and wondered if that might work for me.
Its a Bushtec Turbo+2 model. I've had it for about 8 years or so and its been fantastic. The company is located in north eastern Tennessee and is very good to deal with. The trailer is the best handling trailer I have ever towed behind a bike. Bought it for the long 3week trips my Dad and I take so we can bring camping gear. We camp to save a few bucks, but we are not into the hardcore roughing it crowd. But once Debbie came along it has proven handy for two-up with the GF. Also found I am using it quite often when I need to pick something larger up around town but dont want to take the car.

- Colin