to drill or not to drill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05fjrBluedevil

Reaction score
Well,

Since i have manage to do the unthinkable!!!!!

hmm, buy new fuel pump 300.00 plus or insert and sleeve(copper) and drill out the fitting so that it fits snug, then just super glue the fitting back together and use as is....

So if i do this, i will be drilling out the fuel supply, and inserting a 3/16 piece of copper tubing, then glueing the fitting back together and using it....

will the smaller id of the tube create an undesirable effect of will the small 1 or 2 inch long sleeve, be fine.....

oh by the way if any one could post a picture of those electrical fittings, green and white and the wire orintation in them that would be great as well....

thank you sure hope there is someone out that that can do this, driving the truck the past four days is not as fun as my perfectblueride was.....

thanks

oh any reason i can not use the glue that withstands the temp okay or am i wasting my time........

If you did what I think you did, you're asking for one hella fuel leak. Spend the $300 or find something on eBay. NEVER glue fuel fittings. Are you prepared for your glue job to break under 70 PSI pressure? Are you ready for fuel to come spraying out of the tank onto the hot motor. Are you ready for Roasted Chestnuts?

I wouldn't even wanna be within 100 yards of it when you start it.

It seems you are going to re-invent the word roman Candle , this it will be yours

Before you touch you better get a good mechanic to look at your problem

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Buddist Monk
WFT

with a reply of

BM

???

What the F

and the answer is Bowel Movement?

Glues tend to fail when exposed to fuels. You'd need to

1. select a glue that could withstand the chemical exposure

2. make the repair in a manner that will pass a pressure test

there are companies out there that can built to spec for "pressure vessels" but they can cost you a little for a high risk certification.

probably better to find a wreck and get the salvaged part of buy new (as was suggested). otherwise, you'd be wondering when to expect the fireball every time you rode your bike.

Sorry Bounce didn't think it out, you younger guys won't get the referrance from the late 60's early 70's.

Buddist Monk+Gasoline+ignition source=fireball

Crazy glue??? :blink:

Instead of glue, may I suggest staples and a zipper?... or perhaps you may fancy rivets and buttons better? or a combination thereof... it doesn't matter, the results will be the same!

Just make sure someone is filming the first (and last) time you use it for posterity.

Sorry Bounce didn't think it out, you younger guys won't get the referrance from the late 60's early 70's.
Buddist Monk+Gasoline+ignition source=fireball
i remember that photo. a google search would have snagged this (a little easier to remember) for those of us who were in grade school in the 60's.

photobrowne.jpg

with details about the event at:

https://tinyurl.com/2a6e6w

05Fjr,

First - IT'S YOUR FUEL PUMP !!

And while I realize this is just my humble opinion -- I would consider the fuel pump a somewhat critical component?

So - FWIW - were I in your shoes, it would get replaced. And that is all I would consider doing with it.

Be careful, ok?