To Drill Or Not To Drill

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super d

Reaction score
I have "Matisse" no drill sliders installed on my 05 FJR. said 05 Fjr fell over in the garage today :eek: onto a small pile of lumber causing the forward lower motor mount bolt, which is now the longer "Matesse" replacement allen head bolt that holds the forward end of the support bracket, to push into the lower R/H fairing and create an aproxamatly .75" dia. dimple. Does any one know if the RG "drill" style slider pickes up that hole? Other than the dimple, there is no other damage.

Thanks! ;)

106_0665.jpg

I dont know if this photo will show up or not but if it does...this is the damaged spot on the fairing.

The R&Gs which require drilling mount lower and protrude further thereby providing better protection.

Yes indeed, and my question is....does anyone know if the R&G sliders locate to the lower forward motor mount hole which is EXACTLY where my damage is, due to the protruding allen bolt head that holds the"Matesse" slider bracket on being pushed into the fairing plastic from the inside causing the dimple.

If so, than I can just pick up a set of R&G sliders, drill out my damaged area and problem solved!! :D If not back to square 1

And yes I believe you are correct, if I would have had the R&G sliders the bike would have been undamaged. <_< My bad!

Here's a pic of a R&G in action. It's not on my bike so I can't tell you the exact location but it may help you out? :unsure:
slider.jpg

It looks like the same spot to me, as there is no where else that it could attach to at that location so perhaps I'll be ordering a set of RG sliders! And THANKS a bunch for the picture...VERY helpfull!!!!! :D Know anyone who is looking for a pair of Matisse sliders in excellent condition? 2 pairs is probably a little over kill!! Thanks again for the info!!!! I still hate the skateboard wheel look, but thats just me :beee:

There are those who do have both types.

Since the bike fell into a pile of lumber, and since the sliders have a very localized area to support the bike, I would think that even with the R&Gs, there could have been damage somewhere else. At least you had "some" protection. Imagine if you'd have had no help? :dribble:

Since the R&Gs attach exactly where your damabe occurred, they'd hide the "battle scar".

Just my $.02.

I agree, with no slider there is a very high probability more damage would have occured, I havent quite decided if I'm going to install thr RG's or just straighten the damaged spot out and put the little tuning fork Yami logo thats on the front of the fairing between the head lights over the damaged spot and in the same location on the other side, what do you think about that idea? It shouldnt look to bad. Still a fickin bummer! :angry:

Just drill it out and call it a heat mod. Rave about it on all the boards. :coolio: Everyone will follow suit and your bike will then look like eveyone else's once again. Easy than trying to fix it proper :D

Last edited by a moderator:
R&G sliders, go to www.fjrowners.com and click on the Bike Johnnie site. Good service and helps support the website.

The pic of the rubbed R&G slidder, looks like my first set did.

Saved me gobbs of money. My low side ended up costing me ~1400 dollars.

It would have been easly twice that without the slidders.

The R&Gs are salty though. I paid over $100 with shipping the the midwest from England.

There are some knock-offs out there for 25% less. I forget the link.

Google should help.

super d,

I put on R&G sliders a couple weeks ago and the hole I drilled was right in the spot where the engine mount created the same dimple on my fairing when I dropped my bike. So I say 'yes' you will solve your blemish problem by putting on R&Gs.

I already had TOGs on and I left those. You might want to leave on the sliders you now have. I think two sets look cool.

gypsy

The R&Gs are the most protective slider for the FJR. Sure, you have to drill the fairing, but that's a small price to pay should a tip over leave a hole in your stator cover end a trip for you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you can mount the RG's and still leave the other ones on, but I would like to see a set of RG's on a bike and see how they mount them. :agent:

Latest posts