To PR3 or to PR2 That is the question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
Question for all:

Planning on running a single tire for the whole IBR. Did fine in 2011 on a PR2 and was going to run the same.

However since then Michelin has come out with the PR3.

I've run through one full set of PR3's and the mileage seems to be at least as good, maybe even a little better. But thats comparning rally mode to day-to-day mode. What I was wondering is if there has been any consensus forming on what the lifespan of the PR3 is in actual rally mode. Have people seen that it provides a real increase in the number of miles? (as compared to same setup but with PR2's). At the moment I am strongly considering another set of PR2's (and the rear would NOT be a B spec). And it does looks like I should still be able to order a set or the PR2's

But I would love to hear what peoples feelings\experiences are? PR2, PR3, Bspec or not?

- Colin

PS. Hopefully by asking in the closed IBR'13 forum I can avoid this automatically getting turfed to NEPRT.

Can't quantify it exactly, but seems like 10-20% more mileage out of PR3. Same experience as most everybody else in NEPRT.

Running two PR3 rears and one front. Planning a tire change at the first CP.

I am running PR2's. Just ordered both sets last week. Only reason is that I have not had a chance to fully test the PR3s and I know exactly what to expect from a set of PR2s. I will be swapping out the front and rear at the first checklpoint. I have spare wheels so swapping out the front only takes a few more minutes and makes swapping out the rear easier with a tail dragger tank.

Personal experience so far:

The PR2's I ran in '11 easily handled 11340 miles.

The second set of PR2's lasted till 10124 and were still going strong untill a flat occured.

Replaced with a set of PR3's that have been on there ever since. they are only at 9703 miles and can go more. But I will likely replace them (prematurely) over the winter so I have a fresh set once the snow melts around here. So I wont have a chance to really run them to the end of there life. (Which at thise point looks like it could easily be over 11K Miles).

The interesting thing to note for myself is that tires used in day-2-day stuff tend to wear faster than in rally mode. (Rally mode is alot of steady throttle droning on the highway). Day-2-Day stuff is commuting and traffic and heavy on-off throttle applications. I am not very subtle about throttle usage when I am commuting! :) So I have noticed that those tires tend to wear faster. Thats why I think that the PR3 for myself should be able to easily handle 12K miles in rally mode.

Alligning all this with my personal goals for '13. If I actually get to the point at the end of the rally that I have run _so_ many miles that I have actually worn the tire out, then I will be thoroughly satisfied with myself!

Oh, and all this experience has been on the "normal" tire (no B Spec). From the bits and pieces I have picked up the non-B spec actually has a slightly longer life. Anybody have any info or rumours to back this up?

At the moment I am impressed enough with how the PR3 set I am running is lasting that I think I will go for a set of those.

- Colin

I considered going with the PR3's also, but the PR2's have proven to me that they will last throughout. The set I currently have on my '05 were installed in SLC prior to the 10n'10.

They ran the rally (11,000+) back home to Florida, and currently have over 18,000 miles on them. I will have my set installed in Florida and ride to the rally/run the rally/ and ride them back home

without any swapping planned. BUTT my riding isn't as aggressive as some.

I have too much other "Stuff" to worry about...
upset.gif

I have two PR2s waiting for me at the local shop. One that needs to go on the bike right now, and one for a week before we leave for the start. Go with what you know.

Can't quantify it exactly, but seems like 10-20% more mileage out of PR3. Same experience as most everybody else in NEPRT.
Running two PR3 rears and one front. Planning a tire change at the first CP.
Hay Matt. Any further updates on your experiences with the PR3's. (Heard you had some issues and was wondering what the deal was)

FWIW: I am in AustinTX at the moment on a warmup trip with a set of PR3s (still going strong). And I have a set of new PR3's at home ready to be slapped on the bike before the start of the rally.

- Colin

My earlier pronouncement....not seemingly true when you're doing VERY VERY bad things to a new tire at extreme velocities in Nevada. Notwithstanding, I'm questioning whether to run a PR3 now in the IBR. I'm going to switch to a PR2 rear instead after CP1. I have a little-used Pirelli I'll be using for the first leg.

My earlier pronouncement....not seemingly true when you're doing VERY VERY bad things to a new tire at extreme velocities in Nevada. Notwithstanding, I'm questioning whether to run a PR3 now in the IBR. I'm going to switch to a PR2 rear instead after CP1. I have a little-used Pirelli I'll be using for the first leg.
Matt,

I still have not made the switch to PR3s from the PR2s. Inquiring minds want to know why you are questioning whether to run the PR3s. Did you find that the PR2s have characteristics that make them a better choice than the PR3s for the IBR?

Matt,

I still have not made the switch to PR3s from the PR2s. Inquiring minds want to know why you are questioning whether to run the PR3s. Did you find that the PR2s have characteristics that make them a better choice than the PR3s for the IBR?
I just know that I did two legs in the '09 IBR on a PR2 and nary a question about it going the distance....I think I put another 2K on it after the rally. I ran a PR3 for 2700 miles (although under VERY VERY unusual circumstances) and it went, "POP!". And I ran my hand over the tire 20 miles before it popped and my midnight brain said, "Seems OK to me...." Could I have been more thorough before making that pronouncement? Sure.

So, similar parts suspicion, superstition, intuition, and speculation....I'm personally not trusting a PR3 for two legs for the '13 IBR. Event that said I'm going to be treating the PR2 differently.

Matt,

I just know that I did two legs in the '09 IBR on a PR2 and nary a question about it going the distance....I think I put another 2K on it after the rally. I ran a PR3 for 2700 miles (although under VERY VERY unusual circumstances) and it went, "POP!". And I ran my hand over the tire 20 miles before it popped and my midnight brain said, "Seems OK to me...." Could I have been more thorough before making that pronouncement? Sure.

So, similar parts suspicion, superstition, intuition, and speculation....I'm personally not trusting a PR3 for two legs for the '13 IBR. Event that said I'm going to be treating the PR2 differently.
I thought as much...... running with the tried and tested. I was not aware of your PR3 experience but I am pretty sure that I understand the "very very unusual circumstances".

(although under VERY VERY unusual circumstances)
Yeah Matt. this is a closed area. no one here's going to talk.

What are these "unusual circumstances" you talk of?
uhoh.gif
Suffice it to say I was attempting to do a SS and BBG ....consecutively. I was on pace too...until the 1956 mile mark with about 5 1/2 hours left. Hiked 11 miles, borrowed a tire, got a ride, changed the tire, and still knocked out two SS...consecutively. Heh.