Toll Transponders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
So there's this discussion on the private forum on the IBA site. The way I am looking at it, there maybe only 2, maybe 3, that are actually worth having. As that discussion over there progresses, I get this image of stopping way too often to switch transponders during this rally.

As it stands now I have the I-Pass and I may add one other for the southeastern US. It seems to me that it just isn't worth carrying around a large selection of them. Perhaps the TX pass might be worth considering since both checkpoints are in north Dallas area.

Mike

Hey Mike,

I was thinking the same thing. Dont see myself playing musical transponders. Which one are you considering for the southeast?

I have an I-pass (ez-pass) and a Pikepass from earlier rides. Two IBR's and only ever used the ez-pass. But I am open to another

if a good argument can be made for having it.

Seems the worse that can happen is they bill you.

Phil

I just mount the toll transponders I have and don't switch. I don't have two transponders that are for the same toll system.

For the IBR I will have two mounted, NC Quick Pass ( NC, GA, FL, and North East EZ-Pass ) and the TX Toll Tag. Any other toll system will just have to bill me.

I went with NC too to get the southeast along with EZ Pass. The transponder they sent is made to bolt to the front license plate of a car so its not small. I'll get the txTag too since we are going to be there for the checkpoints. I'm with Greg on the other states.

I have decided that EZ Pass and Pike Pass are the only two worth carrying. On an average IBR, I wouldn't even carry a Pike Pass, but with the location of the two checkpoints, I think it is prudent to have OK, KS, and North Texas covered. In my travels, OK has to be one of the more frustrating states with regard to tolls--lots of exits requiring exact change is only one of the reasons.

If you were going to get an EZ Pass, NC seems like a good option. Having said that, the fact that it covers Peach Pass is irrelevant. I don't know of one toll road in GA that isn't free for motorcycles, and I have never carried a Peach Pass while riding on any of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an EZ pass from Delaware, Pike Pass, and just got the Peach Pass. According to the Peach Pass gentleman I spoke with on the phone, you need one anyway (?) even though the toll is free for MC, He mentioned there being a difference for whether you were on I75 or I 85. Take that with a grain-O-salt, I have no real experience in using one yet.

I guess an NC EZ Pass would cover a lot of territory

Last edited by a moderator:
Tell me to be quiet if you all want...I'm not lucky/dumb/crazy enough to be in the rally this year. ;)

In my three IBRs...EZ-Pass covered all the toll miles I had to do except for one in Denver that I just let them send me a bill on. EZ-Pass covered Illinois to Maine to Pennsylvania great and absolutely well worth having. I, however, was one of those that believed Key West was a sucker bonus and never ventured farther south than Georgia and just resigned myself to Green-Pass for any other eventuality.

Tell me to be quiet if you all want...I'm not lucky/dumb/crazy enough to be in the rally this year.
wink.png
It's too bad you are not riding this year.

I have an EZ pass from Delaware, Pike Pass, and just got the Peach Pass. According to the Peach Pass gentleman I spoke with on the phone, you need one anyway (?) even though the toll is free for MC, He mentioned there being a difference for whether you were on I75 or I 85. Take that with a grain-O-salt, I have no real experience in using one yet.
I now have a NC EZ pass. Big old thing. now to figure out where to mount it.

So I will be running only with the NC EZ pass and the OK pike pass.

Latest posts