TomTom 550 Destination Search Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My TomTom 550's internal destination search fails to turn up obvious locations. "Obvious" is defined as "in TomTom's online route planner".

I would greatly appreciate it if a few 550 owners could attempt to locate two businesses: Ace Hardware, 467 Main St, Harleysville, PA 19438 and Boot Barn 2641 MacArthur Rd, Whitehall, PA 18052

Please tell me how you localized the search - that is, if you're in Denver, CO, Harleysville (real name - and there's no Harley dealer in Harleysville) and Whitehall, PA aren't local to you.

I've been thrashing with TomTom support about the fact the 550 can't find locations which can be found online. Somehow, they think the Ace Hardware is a new location - it's been in the same place for 20+ years, AFAIK 10+ years for Boot Barn. Searches for many locations fail the same way, not just these two. I think something's wrong with my 550, but, for some stupid reason, I can't get it to do a full reset (Hold the power button down until a text screen or "boot screen" shows up - let and then push the power button three times in quick succession - 1-2-3. That should force a reset beyond the reset in the system menu. My 550 reboots as soon as I reach the boot screen and release the power button.

Here's how the search works online, and how it works on my 550. I'm fully patched, and the maps are the current versions. So far, TomTom has no explanation other than recommending suggesting map update(!).

Online Home.jpgOnline Search.jpg550 Home.jpg550 Search.jpg

I am guessing that it is a function of the TomTom POI file rather than a hardware issue. The search can only find stuff if TomTom included it.
One of the problems I have with Garmin is that while they are pretty good about adding new stuff, they aren't as good about removing (or changing) POI when a business or attraction closes or moves. I "find" stuff that is changed, moved or no longer in existence. For anything important, I go to Google.

No doubt it's an on-board POI database issue. The problem I'm having is I can't force my 550 into the point where it downloads a fresh firmware set (part of the "secret" hold the power button down until..." process).

I'd ditch the thing, except it lets me carry both US and European maps at the same time. I go to Germany often enough that this is a non-trivial benefit. Carrying two different map sets (US/Canada and Europe) isn't an option with Garmin. Or so they tell me.

This should be pretty much a no-brainer to sort out, but I've been thrashing with TomTom for a month plus with no useful resolution.

Carrying two different map sets (US/Canada and Europe) isn't an option with Garmin. Or so they tell me.
I took my 665 to Iceland in 2014. By then I was already loading NA maps to external storage. I bought the map set that included Iceland and loaded it on a separate micro SD card. If I recall, the only ‘trick’ is putting everything in a /garmin directory. Swapping SD cards with the 665 off takes moments.
I cant say if the current products support multiple map sets, but I can say that very little of what Garmin tech support says is worthwhile. And I agree with RossKean, the Garmin POI file just grows and grows, with no effort to remove incorrect locations as time goes by.
Does TomTom allow you to connect the GPS to a computer and view the file structure? If so, and you can find the POI file, rename it and try an update. If that doesnt work, you can restore the original file name with no harm done. (Assuming sufficient storage for 2 copies of the POI file.
Good luck with your problem. My Infiniti Q60 suffers in a similar way. I can be parked in front of an address confirmed the nav system; if I drive 3 blocks away and search for the same address, the system cant find it.

-Steve

Last edited:
You comments about Garmin make more sense, based on earlier experience with Garmin.

At this point, my faith in the TomTom POI database is even lower than the nav system (sic) in my Volvo XC40. And that ain't a compliment to Volvo. I've literally been in the Ace and Boot Barn parking lots and been unable to find the places in the 550's POI database. Check out what my 550 returned; by its thinking, the nearest Ace is 15(!) miles away, not 3 miles (all straight line but so what).