Tools, tools and more tools

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mile Rider

Reaction score
Hi,

I cant believe that Ive had my 2008 for going on seven years. Its a dream machine with hardly any issues. Mind you I only have 35,000 km on her.

Anyway, this is the year that Ill start to do some work on her and Id appreciate any recommendations on tools that I should have before getting started.

I already have a basic metric socket set and some Allen keys which have done me well.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Get a set of metric combo box/open end wrenches. Also get a torque wrench, perhaps two as some of the torque values are pretty high while others are low. A breaker bar will be needed to remove the rear axel nut.

As Art mentions, decent wrenches including good torque wrenches. A stubby set is nice too, as are the ones that have a ratcheting box. Invest in good Allen wrenches - I have both plain and ball end ones as well as a T-handle set. If you are going to do your own valve check, you should get a set of metric feeler gauges. A digital caliper and a decent multimeter are nice to have as well. Soldering iron, wire strippers/cutters, needle nose pliers and even a set of vice grips can find applications. Good screwdrivers (incl. JIS as escapefjrtist recommends). You will need at least one Torx driver to remove the shift linkage - can't remember the size. I have a little (3"?) ratcheting bit wrench that I find useful in spots.

There is other stuff but I wouldn't go out and just buy tools. Keep a running list and watch for stuff on sale. Some good deals to be had on decent quality tools if you aren't in a rush.

There are a couple of larger sockets that you may want to buy (or borrow) that are probably not in your set. Buy one for the rear axle nut. Probably borrow the one for the steering stem nut. A special tool is needed to torque the steering stem but you may wish to borrow this as well. You won't need it frequently.

If you are getting into changing your own tires, there is another whole list of stuff to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
My tool-buying advice is buy a specific tool when you need it, and get a good one. Doesn't necessarily apply to things that come in sets, like bits and sockets, but still get good ones.
That's what I've done over the years. A good example is large sockets and hex sockets. You'll use 10, 12 and 14 mm sockets all the time, but there are a few places you need certain large (i.e., expensive) ones.

I have an additional challenge. I need duplicates of most things because I need a lot of the same stuff for my plane, so dups in the hangar for a lot of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
One major service will cost you +1k buck. Bite the bullet, spend that 1k on a good set of Craftsman wrenches, maybe 500 bucks or so. Get the metric 'variety' kit. Use the other 500 to buy at least a Harbor Freight lift (or better yet find a better quality used lift for sale) then use remaining $$ to buy the 'weird' gotta have tools.

I really like my metric allen heads on sockets so I can use them with my ratchet and extensions. One of the greatest things I ever bought. Cheap at Walmart (Stanley).

Latest posts