TOP Box Replacement Recommendations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekiM

Reaction score
Hi All,

Now that the smoke from fires is abated and the plandemic has lost momentum, it's time to retire and ride.
I had a factory box on my 2011 and it did look nice. One early morning over a year ago, I was traveling down one of the expertly CalTrans maintained state highways. In the darkness I didn't see the crater sized "pot hole". The bike jarred and threw the lightly filled case out to become one - in pieces, with the road. I was running a stiffy kit BTW. Perhaps the design of the mounts is a weak point.
That said...
It is time to get a replacement box and I don't think I want another pricey factory box and have a repeat.
Searching the forum results in lots of old threads so I thought I'd ask for any current advice or recommendations.

How was your box mounted? I have a 50L OEM box mounted on the recommended OEM aluminum rack. I can't see how that could ever come off during a ride. Maybe with the plastic OEM rack?

Consider a Givi box with the SR357 rack. They come in a variety of sizes and are pretty robust (I have a V46). The SR357 rack distributes the weight better than a stock rack and will help protect the subframe.

Last edited:
Your other main choice is Shad. The primary differences are 1) the Shad racks occasionally don't fit well; 2) you can leave a Shad topcase unlocked such that you can open it without a key.

This black plastic mounting plate.
I have the same plate on my 2009AE bike. My 39L trunk also took a tumble on my very 1st ride, trunk salvageable and repainted. The trunk came off due to my ignorance of how the latching lever works. All it takes is being in a hurry or bumping the latch. I was planning on only using trunk to hide my helmet when I stop at bike events. I bought a Kappa KR357 same as Givi but less $$, if I want to go bigger than 39L.

you can leave a Shad topcase unlocked such that you can open it without a key.
I like the way the Givi lock works. If it is unlocked, the key is in the lock and captive. You have to lock it to remove the key. I just leave the key in the lock (unlocked) unless I need to secure something (including the case, itself). I have never had any issue with a Givi case - had two of them on two different bikes. Over twenty years between the two of them and 250,000+ miles.

I like the way the Givi lock works. If it is unlocked, the key is in the lock and captive. You have to lock it to remove the key. I just leave the key in the lock (unlocked) unless I need to secure something (including the case, itself). I have never had any issue with a Givi case - had two of them on two different bikes. Over twenty years between the two of them and 250,000+ m
Yamaha is made by Givi. And regarding the key removal, same for Yamaha, but the latch to remove case if bumped ...you do not know unless you really look at it. You can lock it but the removal latch next to the opening latch. Terrible design

Yamaha is made by Givi. And regarding the key removal, same for Yamaha, but the latch to remove case if bumped ...you do not know unless you really look at it. You can lock it but the removal latch next to the opening latch. Terrible design
I guess it is possible but never happened to me. (Removal latch is below the key, the opening latch is above the key.)
I suppose it might be safer to have it elsewhere but this way, the same key and lock work for both.

It was my 1st ride since I acquired it. I went into the trunk to get something but when I did, I likely pulled wrong latch too. Then after traveling 40 miles, and then finally on bumpy country road , it popped off & bounced once , slid on pavement to the side grass:mad: but nothing cracked. I repainted to perfect match color rite Dark Metallic grey. Being a poly paint you cannot handle it for many days. At 4 weeks I sat it in the sun to get the paint to firm up, and sanded some of the scaring down on the black lower half areas....

See my reply to the SHAD FYI post in this forum. Not a fan after I spoke to CS and then a "Manager" whom all told me to pound sand after my top case fell off 75 miles into a ride due to a shattered SHAD mount.

Latest posts