Top Box Wiring

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeb

Reaction score
Along with my 08 FJR came a top box. I looked at putting it on and is there a piece I can buy that will easy connect the brake light wires from the cycle to the top box? All I have are the wires on the box and the wires from the cycle.

Thanks!

Can you elaborate Zeb, what brand / model of "top box" are you talking about here?

Has your 2008 been modified with any pigtail leads already coming off your brakelight socket in the tailpiece?

Its a "Bestem T-Box". The FJR has two wires have pig tail leads (sleeves) but the box wires have been cut.

Interesting.

A previous owner of my old Gen1 simple spliced into the brakelight hot & ground (black) wires right at the back of one of the sockets, and ran that pair of wires out through a tiny hole in the FJR tailpiece body work. That wire just uses an SAE 2-wire molded plug, which ties into a Givi metal mountin bracket + the plastic locking plate (so accept my Givi tail trunk). That Givi trunk uses a pair of spring-loaded terminals which mate with a mirror image pair of terminals connected to that metal underframe.

Seems so many slightly different solutions to the same challenge - how to interconnect our brakelights up to a higher / brighter position (like a car's high centre brake light).

Sounds like you already have a partial wiring solution available, just need to dig into that wiring harness which shouldn't have been clipped off by someone in the past.

Here's what I just found online, may be what you need: https://bestemusa.com/Bestem-T-Box-929-LED-Strip-Wiring-Harness_p_2073.html

Good luck in your quest.

Ive only dealt with givi. I have an admore light bar, with the FJR plug-and-play harness, and the block for that allows no-cut wiring of top case lights. Id like to light my top case, but I dont want to drill holes in it.

I had a Bestem box on my '06. I added the LED light strip. Not sure if the Admore harness would work with the Bestem. I have the Admore with the Givi on my '16, and it is a much more elegant installation, with no splicing or cutting. For the Bestem, I had to tap into the running and brake light wires. The Bestem wires are such a small gage they are hard to work with and not very resilient and pulled out of the connector plugs several times. I eventually cut the connector plugs out and soldered the wires.