Top Case and side cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadi

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Yamaha does not recommend having a full top case with the side cases loaded. Does not sound right to me considering they sell a case. Why would you buy one and not fill it up along with the side cases. Any comments on this?

Gadi

Last edited by a moderator:
Check your owners manual maybe something like max. weight 11lbs. Do not want to carry to much that would be to much fun :lol:

weekend rider :)

Use em both at the same time and don't worry about it. Just be sure to keep the light stuff in the top box to keep from potentially cracking the mounts and making the bike to top heavy.

Use em both at the same time and don't worry about it. Just be sure to keep the light stuff in the top box to keep from potentially cracking the mounts and making the bike to top heavy.

Thanks, that is what I thought. Use them both and try to keep the center of gravity lower than higher.

I read somewhere that Yamaha does not recommend having a full top case with the side cases loaded. Does not sound right to me considering they sell a case. Why would you buy one and not fill it up along with the side cases. Any comments on this?Gadi
gadi,

Yes it is true. I have taken trips with all 3 loaded but find over 80mph, the bike with the Yamaha top case will tend to weave.

Overall, with reasonable weight distribution and all 3 loaded, it was not a problem.

It's mostly a disclaimer to avoid lawsuits. Don't haul bags of cement and you will be just fine. Have done many miles with both loaded with clothes and no problem. I do load the heavier things in the side cases. If I'm carrying pillion I do watch the weight a little more. Yamaha is just trying to keep from being sued IMO.

Though I've got the Givi topcase and it can supposedly handle more weight, always load the heavy stuff if possible in the side cases. Also, without a rear, I run the suspension on soft. The hard setting seems to make the rear end dance around alot at 'highway' speeds with the topcase on.

Yes it is true. I have taken trips with all 3 loaded but find over 80mph, the bike with the Yamaha top case will tend to weave.
Overall, with reasonable weight distribution and all 3 loaded, it was not a problem.
What's your bike's behavior when you have a pillion?????

This doesn't sound right to me unless your suspension is not properly set up. The disclaimer by Yamaha is an attempt to avoid liability.

When I ride alone with all three cases, full or not I get a little weave/wobble beginning around 80. When I ride with my pillion I get no weave/wobble full or empty. The bike is stable with pillion and all bags full to speeds that are... ahem, well in excess of 6K RPM in top gear (do the math :lol: ).

When I ride alone with all three cases, full or not I get a little weave/wobble beginning around 80. When I ride with my pillion I get no weave/wobble full or empty. The bike is stable with pillion and all bags full to speeds that are... ahem, well in excess of 6K RPM in top gear (do the math :lol: ).
I have noticed the weave/wobble as well. I think it's created by the pocket of space between you and the topcase and the absence of a pillion. I found that when I used a Ventura bikepack (or any large backpack) sitting in the pillion position, the weave/wobble was eliminated, at least up to 110mph.

What's your bike's behavior when you have a pillion?????
This doesn't sound right to me unless your suspension is not properly set up. The disclaimer by Yamaha is an attempt to avoid liability.
Pony,

Good question, I have not run the bike with a pillion with all 3 cases yet and I usually keep it in the hard setting and may try the Soft Setting as Ngarider says and see how it works.

I believe Fjr919 pegged the cause of the weave, I think with the Yamaha Topcase(no pillion) it changes the aerodymamics that would cause this...I'll have to try the Large Backpack idea.

I have run with full luggage and a pillion. I have the Givi V46 and Wilbers suspension. No problems. I also put a lot of miles on at fairly high speed with bags full and camping gear on the pillion seat with no problem. I think having something on the pillion seat helps deflect the air from the front of the top case and helps high speed stability. It doesn't seem to be a problem when loaded lightly.

In my experience with a Givi V46 topcase, the FJR will 'wag' its tail at higher speeds when you have no pillion. I'm not sure when this happens with the Yami topcase, but I can tell you that with the Givi its at a high enough speed that you don't have to worry about it if you maintain legal speeds. Adding a fuel cell that sits over the rear seat will increase the max speed before you reach 'tail wagging' speeds.

I had an 'opportunity' to have a Rifle windshield strapped between the rear seat and the Givi topcase and this seemed to eliminate the tail wagging.

Just for your information, be careful how much weight you put in the top case or on the top case mounting plate.

I just had my Yamaha top case replaced under warranty. After replacing the mounting plate and top case, the service manager inspected it and discovered there was "excess" movement of the case AND tail light assembly. Upon close inspection (removed the rear seat) it was discovered there was a crack in each aluminum mounting member, right at the upward bend next to the tail light. These aluminum "pieces" provide support and a mounting surface for the tupperware and the top box and rear fender, etc (Yes, I know a picture would be nice. But the last time I attempted to post a picture it took a long time and still didn't work.)

My Yamaha dealer, a great one IMHO, is getting it repaired under warranty. I have a couple of theories as to how these aluminum side pieces became broken, but I'm not telling. Suffice to say, It might not be a good idea to put too much weight on the rack or in the case.

LC

Sometimes it pays to play dumb, don't it, chance?
I like to call it intelligent ignorance....

I have not experienced any wobble at high speeds with the yamaha top case and side bags. This could be that I have a large windshield, dnno (cb+4+2). I have had the bike fully loaded with top case and left side bag packed. As for the right side bag, it was removed and in its place is now a steel rack that I carry golf clubs with. The bike handled fine at +100 with loaded top case, side case and two sets of clubs in the golf bag on the right.

I can say that theYammy top box does a fine fob of hauling a case of beer! :lol:

It was a bit shaken... OK, ALOT skaken up, But it still made it! :)

I think it has more to do with the top-heaviness created when you're fully loaded that way. After a 600 mile trip, I had a tip-over in a parking lot with the bike fully loaded. The point of no return came quickly once the bike reached a certain angle of lean and there was no way for me to stop it.

The cost? A new left side bag and mirror. The fully loaded Shad 48 top-case was untouched. Thankfully, Skyway's sliders limited the damage to those two items.

That said, I will still travel fully loaded, I'll just be more aware of the unstoppable mass in certain situations.