Top Case and side cases

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can say that theYammy top box does a fine fob of hauling a case of beer! :lol:
Yamaha engeneers have to be drinkers. A 12 of Corona fits just perfect in each side case :p

I've noticed that my bike wanders a bit at freeway speeds (read: 80ish) running the side bags and a Givi V46. Not enough to worry me tho, kinda like a rain groove feeling.

In nevada last year, coming back from WFO, I ran into some tail weave, at FJR maximum minus 10mph to FJR maximum. Fully loaded bike. Backed off the throttle & the weave went away. Needless to say,since I haven't been at FJR maximum since it hasn't been as issue...

Sometimes it pays to play dumb, don't it, chance?
I don't have to "play" dumb...It just comes naturally. My brilliant idea on how to raise the front wheel for changing worked.. Just didn't consider all the "possibilities". All this is hypothetical of course. :rolleyes:

LC

About a week or so ago I got a warranty notice from Yamaha regarding cracking on the top case mount or the bottom of the case. They are modifying with a metal plate. New cases are coming with the metal plate.

I got a recall letter about the top cases and they also recommend that the top cases not be used in conjunction with the hard bags. The letter said that they are to be used when not using the hard bags. I was going to buy one but not now.

I got a recall letter about the top cases and they also recommend that the top cases not be used in conjunction with the hard bags. The letter said that they are to be used when not using the hard bags. I was going to buy one but not now.

Okay all, lets get realistic. Yamaha says these things to prevent liability in case some chump crashes and tries to sue yamaha by blaming his bad riding on the weight he was carrying.

I have rode over 20k miles with both side cases and top cases fully loaded, 2 up, and a huge tank bag and a tigers milk bar in my front pocket, starcom and ipod, pillion and a camel back. It still handles like a dream. A hell of a lot better than a Road Glide :)

Plenty of people in the know (via experience rather that what they surmise from what they read) know that you can load the FJR down and it does just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree with OrangevaleFJR

I've ridden my FJR loaded but not with a pillion and never had any wiggle as some say,too I also had a Wilbers raceing Suspension on my 04 and have done the dirty side and with just the top box on still no wiggle.

rogerfjrfaster :yahoo:

push past 80 and it smooths out around 90 or so :)

When I ride alone with all three cases, full or not I get a little weave/wobble beginning around 80. When I ride with my pillion I get no weave/wobble full or empty. The bike is stable with pillion and all bags full to speeds that are... ahem, well in excess of 6K RPM in top gear (do the math :lol: ).

Plenty of people in the know (via experience rather that what they surmise from what they read) know that you can load the FJR down and it does just fine.
Definitely.

Just having my wife and I on the bike puts the bike over the load limit. We just finished a 3000+ mile trip with the bags, factory top box and tankbag fully loaded. Stock suspension set to hard. No issues at all. I don't take it easy on the bike when running loaded either.