Top heavy?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...I have dropped mine 3 times with the trunk on in a parking lot setting! ... Is it just me ...?
It's NOT YOU, airportcop.

.......It's me.

biggrin.gif
Be very careful airportcop, they are definitely top heavy!

ARack.jpg

Note to Old Michael: I had to hurry up and post this one before rushes did!

Well, hopefully as they say, "Third times a charm!" And hopefully the last time! I have removed the trunk except for two up riding and longer trips. Thanks for the advice.
Yeah . . . . Again, it ain't the trunk, it's the bike itself. It's tall, and it's heavy. Don't stop with it leaned over. It ain't no bicycle. An empty trunk on or off is less affect on the center of gravity than filling the gas tank.

I haven't managed to drop the FJR in 40,000 miles of ownership - came fairly close once when my foot slipped a bit on some gravel. Now my previous bike was a Yamaha Venture. Take the FJR, add 250 lb, a fat front tire, lots of weight up top and loose gravel in a zero speed turn in a parking lot. No way to stop it (a total of three times in two years); even if you get a solid "plant" with your foot. Fortunately with the engine guards, there wasn't so much as a scratch. When I first got the FJR, it felt like handling a bicycle by comparison! No problems with the FJR but I am 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I can see more issues for shorter riders; the bike is taller than some.

As I posted earlier, due to my 29 inch inseam my FJR is tall for me and is top heavy. But I recognized that on my first ride and by being careful have not yet dropped it...a few close calls tho. Once rolling she is a dream.

Bill

Jeez, between this and the whiners who complain about the clutch pull being too heavy, I, once again, have to ask; where are all the men.

Am I right MEM?

Can't lift 650#'s. ScooterActivist is looking for new members. Jes sayin' ... Grow a pair

Jeez, between this and the whiners who complain about the clutch pull being too heavy, I, once again, have to ask; where are all the men.

Am I right MEM?

Can't lift 650#'s. ScooterActivist is looking for new members. Jes sayin' ... Grow a pair

Thank you, Marky Mark :)

How many times have I walked away from the computer to keep from ....responding :blink:

'yes' Miss Piggy is top heavy. But I'm 5'4.5" and weigh around 125 lbs ( which, if I may be so bold, is about the same as herfjr)

I'm sure it's just me and probably a case of the front brake grab without even realizing it! Or maybe it's just sympathy for my 20 year old son who has dropped his Ninja many times! It does seem to handle a bit better without the trunk!

I'm sure it's just me and probably a case of the front brake grab without even realizing it! Or maybe it's just sympathy for my 20 year old son who has dropped his Ninja many times! It does seem to handle a bit better without the trunk!
Oh Yeah! There is some truth to that. Removing the Side Bags will do the same thing a little bit But, it's still a bit Top heavy and once you get the hang of it,

You'll know the Difference between the two. Believe it or not, I feel it rides a little smoother when I have a passenger on board. Go Figure! :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's your cure for top heavy: getcha a lithium ion battery: ya just lost mucho pounds where it counts. Even better, try a diet. Much cheaper than the battery...

Gary

darksider #44

If yer gonna spend a lot of time dinkin' around in parking lots, file down the stops on the fork so's you can turn it tighter. Just sayin'... :lol:

I don't have the trunk but the FJR is a LOT easier to handle than a Goldwing :)

There is a series on one of the GW boards about practicing circles and turns with the GW. Third gear, let it idle, leave the clutch engaged, adjust with the rear brake. They say you can even scrape the pegs. The GW will not stall at idle in third and I would guess the FJR engine is similar. I haven't tried these exercises yet with the FJR.
Yup, don't buy a wing quite yet until you've mastered the FJR. Here's the thread. Lot's of good advice. https://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237208&page=2&highlight=ride+clutch

Does anyone out there think that the FJR is top heavy with the factory or aftermarket trunk installed? Especially if it has gear in it! I have dropped mine 3 times with the trunk on in a parking lot setting! All three times almost no forward momentum and the bars all the way to the stops while turning. Is it just me or what? Thank goodness for TOGs and sliders!
it's just you. get out there and do more PLP.

it ain't the top case and it ain't the bike's weight in general. learn to finesse the weight instead of trying to muscle it around. never his the brakes without first squaring the front wheel with the direction of movement. get out to an MSF:ERC course then practice the skills they loan you.

Last edited by a moderator:
All three times almost no forward momentum and the bars all the way to the stops while turning. Is it just me or what?
I'd say it's mostly you. Heavy bikes are just bundlesome at low speeds, it's not a special feature of the FJR. Low speed riding without falling over is an acquired skill. I'd wager that if you keep riding and practice a bit you'll come to terms with it sooner or later. Or not.

1.) All motorcycles are "top-heavy"! (Try parking one without the side or center stand extended...they fall over.)

2.) Yes, the FJR, like all sport touring bikes, is more top-heavy than some other styles of motorcycles (like cruisers).

3.) There are many vertically challenged and strength challenged FJR owners (because of gender, age, physical dimensions, etc.).

4.) Problems with dropping the motorcycle are not purely the bike, it is operator error or rider lack of proper technique/training.

Bounce has said it more succinctly...take an advanced rider course, then practice, practice, practice until the techniques and ability to foresee uneven ground become second nature.

I may be "normal-size" but I've ridden with enough of those mentioned above to recognize and celebrate their ability to overcome what some would see as a genetic shortcoming for riding this size of machine.

It can be done and it IS done by too many to blame the machine.

1.) All motorcycles are "top-heavy"! (Try parking one without the side or center stand extended...they fall over.)

2.) Yes, the FJR, like all sport touring bikes, is more top-heavy than some other styles of motorcycles (like cruisers).

3.) There are many vertically challenged and strength challenged FJR owners (because of gender, age, physical dimensions, etc.).

4.) Problems with dropping the motorcycle are not purely the bike, it is operator error or rider lack of proper technique/training.

Bounce has said it more succinctly...take an advanced rider course, then practice, practice, practice until the techniques and ability to foresee uneven ground become second nature.

I may be "normal-size" but I've ridden with enough of those mentioned above to recognize and celebrate their ability to overcome what some would see as a genetic shortcoming for riding this size of machine.

It can be done and it IS done by too many to blame the machine.
+1 I'm with Mikey. Also a "Normal sized" person. The only time I tipped mine over was Wheaton's fault. :p

Ever watch these kids trying to ride today's dirt bikes? Jeez, the seat height is 40 inches!!!!! They seem to do just fine. I'm sure it's just as hard to a 110 pound pimple farm to manage his shiny new dirt bike as it is for an adult man with double the leg strength to hold up an FJR... Plus we have the added advantage of being able to actually think ahead, or at least we SHOULD HAVE.

Gary

darksider #44