Torque rod bolt failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced failure of the bolt that fastens the torque rod (shop manual) (or tension bar, #22 https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/5004d79bf87002275461da4f/rear-wheel) to the rr brake caliper?

46,000 miles on the bike (2012), about 2500 miles since the rr tire was changed.

Either the nut fell off (hard to believe since its self locking), wasnt put back on when the tire was changed, or the bolt failed. Am I just unlucky?

On the lucky side, I was going about 5 mph, applying rr brake on a right hand turn about 6 blocks from the shop when the failure occurred. I can report the caliper will rotate clockwise, taking out the McCruise hardware, and the rr brake line. Brake fluid will spray on everything past the rr axle.

Tell me I am not the only one this has happened to, & I will feel slightly better.

-Steve

Sorry Steve but I feel your alone on this one. I did lose the bolt on the ABS sensor at one time. It was my fault though. I only put it in hand tight after swapping out the tire.

Dave

So are you saying both the bolt and nut that connect the tension bar were gone? Never heard of that--it's a pretty beefy setup and I really doubt either the bolt or the nut could fail. I'm thinking it wasn't re-installed.

Either the nut fell off (hard to believe since its self locking), wasnt put back on when the tire was changed, or the bolt failed. Am I just unlucky?
I haven't heard of any failures of the bolt or rod....that wasn't a failure of somebody properly securing the nut. Or said another way, I'm not sure it's fair to say it's "self-locking" nut. I think once its torqued--it stays put really well, but if somebody finger tightened it ...I can totally see it coming off...or forgot it. It's not a Nyloc type nut....it just spins on and off easily after you torque or untorque.

And I wouldn't say you're unlucky. I would say that you might be a person that may want to have a talk with your service provider and/or consider doing your own service like others do on the forum. That way when it breaks...you can beat yourself up like Dave and I have.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolt and nut gone. The rod is still in place, no damage, held in place by the fastener at the other end.

If this failure had occurred within a few hundred miles of the tire change, I would be more inclined to lay blame on the shop staff.

While I am having a tough time thinking a loose nut would hang on for 2500+ miles, anything is possible.

What I think I am getting from you all, is its more likely to be human failure than mechanical.

Thanks for your comments.

-Steve

Bolt and nut gone. The rod is still in place, no damage, held in place by the fastener at the other end.
If this failure had occurred within a few hundred miles of the tire change, I would be more inclined to lay blame on the shop staff.
How do you know then what point during the 2500+ miles the bolt disappeared?

I assume you just noticed it and weren't riding purposely with it out. Assuming that's true it's possible the bolt was in with fastener on but not torqued and fell out anywhere from ~1 mile to ~2500 miles, was never installed at all, or (this the most unlikely unless there's damage) failed and broke off.

Iggy

Based on the damage, I would speculate the bolt failed/fell out today. It would appear to me the first rr brake application after the torque rod was loose would cause the rotor rotation and everything else.

If mechanical failure is least likely, then an un-torqued nut is most likely. If the bolt was inserted and the nut left off, I am guessing it would have come apart long before 2500 miles.

I'm going back to the scene of the crime tomorrow to see if I can find the bolt.

-Steve

If the bolt was inserted and the nut left off, I am guessing it would have come apart long before 2500 miles.
I concur that's a guess. I've seen bolts without nuts stay in holes for a very, very long time...especially the ones where the bolt shaft is perpendicular to gravity.

Remember too, once the rear brake is applied, that LOOSE BOLT had some pressure on in (every time you stopped).

Someone didn't torque it down fully.

If it means anything, when I changed my tires, I put that nut and bolt in there hand tight while I was trying to get it all set. I put the new tires on, hopped on the bike and about 3 blocks away, had an "OH SH&T" moment in my head, remembering that I didn't tighten that nut. I came back, parked it, looked, and sure enough, I hadn't, and the bolt was loose, so it's quite possible to put it in just to try and get it all hooked up and in place and to forget to tighten it. Maybe that's all that happened to you.

Sorry Steve but I feel your alone on this one. I did lose the bolt on the ABS sensor at one time. It was my fault though. I only put it in hand tight after swapping out the tire.
Dave
I got about 150 miles from the house on a trip headed to TN. The bike display started going crazy and I pulled over on the Merritt turnpike. This is where duct tape was purchased at the gas station for exorbitant fees. Taped up the wire and headed for the nearest Hardware store to pick up a new screw. From now on I always carry some duct tape. Lesson learned the hard way.

Dave

I think the brake hose would hold the caliper for at lease a few stops before it came apart.

wmadoty - the hose failed within about .5 sec of applying the rr brake. The caliper was in the right place when the journey began, about 3 minutes before using the rr brake for the first time.

Never found the bolt.

Did find the dealer has a heart, they are doing the repairs no charge.

-Steve

G

Thx

It may be the fact that I am trading the 2012 for a 2016 that helped them find a heart.

The weather, as I know you know, sucks big time.

So I now have a filthy 2016AE with 300 miles on it since last Tuesday!

And just to take some bloom off the rose, some ass-hat stole my Russell rain cover the second day on the new ride.

-Steve