Tough decision but selling bike. Pricing help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSHANK42

Reaction score
Well after riding some sort of motorcycle for 43 of my 47 years on earth I have made the decision to sell. My body cannot endure the pain of riding anymore. Bike is 2009 FJR1300A. Not perfect condition but I would say excellent. Has 60,000 miles. KBB says $5,800. Is that an accurate price? Where do I start?

Depending on extras beyond stock and overall condition, you aren't likely to get as much as $5,800 for a ten year old FJR - especially nearing the end of the season. Probably $4,500 is closer to the mark but it depends on your ability to connect with a motivated buyer. Where you live has a lot to do with it as well. You are best to see what comparable bikes are listing for (and selling for) in your region.

Significant farkles won't add much to what you will be able to get for it but these will return more if sold separately on the forum.

Use searchtempest.com to search craigslist nationwide to see what people are asking. Also look in Cycle Trader to see what they may have. I think you are high by about $1200- $1500. It is a tough market for used sport touring bikes.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Pterodactyl" data-cid="1423378" data-time="1566826377"><p>

Use searchtempest.com to search craigslist nationwide to see what people are asking. Also look in Cycle Trader to see what they may have. I think you are high by about $1200- $1500. It is a tough market for used sport touring bikes.</p></blockquote> I haven't set a price yet. Didn't know where to begin

When I sold my ST1300 I looked at Craigslist, and was surprised to see how much people were asking. So I set my price accordingly - but a total waste of time as I eventually lowered it down to what I thought up front and it sold. What people as asking on Craigslist doesn't mean anything - it's what people sell for that matters. Timing is key here - if you are OK waiting a little, the right buyer may show up...

2K to start
GLWS

Dave
What happened to 'start high and end up with what you can live with' ?

There's nowhere to go but down with a Start Price
uhoh.gif

I know of an '07 with 3x the miles that fared that well in price
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No reason to use searchtempest.com anymore. After you browse to the Motorcycle area of the For Sale section of Craigslist, there will be a spot in the left margin to enter miles from your location. Makes it so much easier.

Ask yourself, how quickly do I want to sell it and price accordingly. For a 60k mile stock bike, assuming it's clean and has good maintenance records, I'd start at $4900 and see how much interest that generates.

Good luck!

~G

Significant farkles won't add much to what you will be able to get for it but these will return more if sold separately on the forum.
That's what I ended up doing with my '06. Sold everything I didn't need for the '16. Didn't get but one nibble on the bike. Granted it had 130K miles on it, but it was in decent shape. Used market seems exceptionally soft.