Touring in the South this fall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super13

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making plans to ride to the MotoGP race in Austin on October 3rd. I feel very cautious about going to the Great American South where it seems to be a hotbed for the pandemic now. I have my own antibodies for covid, plus I have my two vaccination shots. What is your opinion, is this really stupid or just fine?

Agreed, you can't live life in fear.  

Take the average flu shot effectiveness is anywhere form 30-60% effective year over year.  The COVID vaccine is somewhere in the 90+% range of effectiveness.  Get out there and enjoy life.  You will die eventually of something, might as well be something you enjoy doing... IMHO

I agree with what has already been said. Enjoy the trip, wear a mask, and keep your distance when you can. It's not about you, or me.  It's about us.  Enjoy the race!

Good on you for being cautious and at least recognizing the possibility of the risk.  The weather will allow for comfortable (desirable) outdoor eating.  You can socially distance yourself in groceries and other stores for the short time you will be in those places.  I've been to the Moto GP race in Austin before COVID, and although crowded, it's all outside and you will have numerous opportunities to enjoy the race separated from the crowd.

Perhaps your biggest risk is that, should you need medical attention for anything, especially a hospital, those resources are not as available as they were, due to taxing demands from COVID.  No one is being left for dead in the Streets, but lengthy wait times and experiences of being "bumped" for sicker/more hurt patients are common.

FWIW - I've been very COVID careful since the beginning, and if I were you, I'd go without a doubt.  With common sense and your vaccine, you are as protected as you can be.

So go!  Enjoy the trip.  You should be fine.  Have a great trip!

I've got a trip out to that side of the US in Sept/Oct. I too have been vaccinated and feel that with the right precautions to take care of one's self, you should go out and live your life. That's what I'm gonna do. ;)