Touring windscreen or clip on

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Spannbauer

Reaction score
The standard screen is too short, would I be better off with a tour windscreen or would a clip on do? Also what are the best kinds in whatever you recommend? Thank you

What I recommend above anything else is you tell us the model year you are riding. Having owned two different Gen's, I can tell you- it DOES make a difference. The air flow and management is completely different on them.

My favorite windscreen is also Cee Baileys, I have them on my '07 and my '13. I'm not a clip-on guy, too cluttered looking. You can try the Yamaha touring screen but I found it wasn't much better than the stock one. V-Stream middle and tall are ok but too narrow for me. You may hear of tilting the screen back- I thought that sucked big time and shimmed to go the other way, to stand the screen up taller.

Now, all this is with the understanding that everyone's likes are different. These are just one man's opinions.

I too bought the cheap Puig air deflector off of Amazon. It works very well. Quiet and calm air with the stock windscreen now. Plus in the low position it lets air through like the stock screen on very hot days.

I use a Puig clip on, on top of a Yamaha Touring screen. I had hoped that the touring screen by itself would be enough but it just doesn’t work quite as well as the clip on wind deflector.

I use a Laminar lip on my 03 stock screen.Works perfect for me without turbulence any more! Pretty happy with this thing! 😉🙂

I was a happy Laminar Lip customer on my '04. Unfortunately, during a trip last year that may or may not have included some stretches of high air velocities (ahem....) it flew off on the interstate and I had no easy way to retrieve it. I thought about buying another, but my original stock windscreen was looking yellowed and pitted from age. I decided to give the V-Stream a try and I am really happy with it. It provides much more (sometimes too much) wind protection, which is particularly nice when riding in cool weather. I find that the air flow over / around it is smooth and I don't have any of the buffeting that I used to experience with the stock windscreen (without the Laminar Lip). The LL also did a great job in smoothing the air flow, and I was never bothered by the "add on" appearance. If my stock windscreen was clearer, I probably would have gone back to another Laminar Lip. Having the nice, clear V-Stream has been working well though. I guess I would be happy to endorse either option.

On another note, I had also considered a Puig clip on - my son had used on successfully on his FZ6, but ultimately, the V-Stream seemed to be the right choice for me.

Good luck!

I really like the Rifle -- had one on my Gen1 and now on my Gen2. Provided you can get one: I bought the Gen2 screen as they battled covid supply chain issues and it took over 6 months to finally get it.

Now, I was ordering one for an older bike that they have little call for these days and the issue was the brackets (made for them by another supplier), not the screen itself. So that may not be an issue for a 2014 model. You should contact them and ask before ordering.

Ooops. Nevermind, I just had a peek at their website and it doesn't look like they even offer one for the 2014 FJR.