TPS done

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPierre

Making up for lost time...
Reaction score
While doing the TPS recall, my dealer Wheelsport quoted me $100 to check and $75 more (1 hr) to adjust valves if necessay, on my 03 w 65,000km. Valves proved to be more work than he estimated. All 16 were out of spec and he had to replace 12 shims. Took him 4+hrs to do the valves but the dealer stood by his 2.25hr labor quote. Said this was the first higher milage FJR they had done and he'll know better next time. :)

Everything seemed ok (idles right, smooth running, fluid not leaking, cam tensioner/sprokets ckecked ok). It's snowing here now so that may have been my last ride. :eek:

Ready for spring anyway.

It's snowing here now so that may have been my last ride. :eek:
Ready for spring anyway.

Snowing here as well and for today anyhow it is making the green grass white. :glare:

Glad he gave you a break on the quote for labour. Makes you want to go back again. (to the dealer)

Snow..........you need to move to the tropics of Canada. Regarding the valves, were they checked at 42,000 or was this the first time they were looked at. B)

Canadian FJR

mine goes in this Saturday for the recall. a few months ago I had it in for the valves at 26,000 miles. they charged me 300 for the job and all valves where is spec. so no shims where used. I talked to the wrench and this was the first time he had done a valve check on a FJR, said he hopes to never do another one.

I rebuild the cylinder head on my 05 when it had 14,000 miles(ticker), I checked the valve clearances before dis-assembly and all the exhaust valves were out of spec. The low limit is .18mm, but all eight exhaust valves measured .15mm. The intake side was within spec but at the low limit.

I wondered if the valve clearance was out of spec from the factory and contributed to early ticker problem.

Seems odd that some bikes are within spec after many miles (50,000+) and others are out on there first inspection.

:unsure:

Jack of all trades, master of none

While doing the TPS recall, my dealer Wheelsport quoted me $100 to check and $75 more (1 hr) to adjust valves if necessay, on my 03 w 65,000km. Valves proved to be more work than he estimated. All 16 were out of spec and he had to replace 12 shims. Took him 4+hrs to do the valves but the dealer stood by his 2.25hr labor quote. Said this was the first higher milage FJR they had done and he'll know better next time. :)
Everything seemed ok (idles right, smooth running, fluid not leaking, cam tensioner/sprokets ckecked ok). It's snowing here now so that may have been my last ride. :eek:

Ready for spring anyway.
Damm I thought a $100 was too low a quote for this job, I should have booked mine in when you PM's me Pierre, I guess I'll get a 'Different Quote' +$$$ in the spring.

Snow sucks, hoping for a last run in Nov but looks like I'll be putting her to bed for the winter.

Chris

Latest posts