TPS Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSFJR

Reaction score
I had my 06 AE's TPS tested by the dealer today, which I witnessed. Although his meter indicated the TPS was within the specified range, there was no change in this figure (5.xx as I recall), when the throttle was twisted.

Can anyone tell me if the resistance value indicated on the meter should have changed when the throttle was twisted to full open??? By remaining unchanged, is this a clear indication of a failed TPS???

My Service Manual does not appear to answer this question, but of course, the answer could be burried in another part of it and I simply cannot figure out just where.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my 06 AE's TPS tested by the dealer today, which I witnessed. Although his meter indicated the TPS was within the specified range, there was no change in this figure (5.xx as I recall), when the throttle was twisted.
Can anyone tell me if the resistance value indicated on the meter should have changed when the throttle was twisted to full open??? By remaining unchanged, is this a clear indication of a failed TPS???

My Service Manual does not appear to answer this question, but of course, the answer could be burried in another part of it and I simply cannot figure out just where.
"Has anyone ever....? Has anyone ever tried....? This Forum has become fairly mature between yrs models '03 to '06. Most answers are already here, go search....
There are some small amounts of information relating to your questions at Post #3, at how to fix the TPS and how the TPS fails.

Edited:

The source of my renewed surging was traced to a defective spark plug cap on cyl #2. The spring in the cap that is supposed to grip the spark plug didn't have enough strength to stay connected to the plug. Even though it made a solid 'click' when the cap was seated, it popped off the plug shortly thereafter. A bit of judicious tweaking of the spring in the cap has fixed the problem. FWIW, my gas mileage that had dropped to <35 mpg when the surging renewed itself, has gone back up to a record >41 mpg after the fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well based on my '06 A it should change when the trottle is opened. I don't have my manual handy but as I remember closed reading is around 15 and full open is around 100. Possibly the tech didn't toggle the sensor by turning the stop switch, if so then reading would not change. Can't remember if stop switch is switched off or on to toggle but if you play with it you can figure it out.

If the tech. had a meter hooked up, I assume it was an ohm meter and he was measuring resistance with the TPS disconnected. Two of the pins should have measured in the 5000 ohm range, which would match up with the 5.xx you reported if he was on a 1000x scale. This is not to be confused with the 15-100 readout you get on the instrument panel in diagnostic mode.

Measuring across 2 of the 3 pins will give a constant readout. Measuring across a different set of 2 will give a readout that changes with throttle setting. He should have checked both ways if he was diagnosing this problem.

Note that the typical TPS failure does not usually show up on this type of test unless the TPS is hot.