TPS recalled and sent for repair...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to pick it up this afternoon.
Started her up, let her warm up and then set the RPM (via Throttle Meister) to 3,000RPM. The engine continued to randomly miss and cycle from 3,500 down to 2,800, then up to 3,800 and back to 3,500 RPM. I brought the tech out to listen, who watched and heard the engine run. He then fussed with the throttle a bit and realized there IS something wrong. We talked a bit and he asked what all YOUR thoughts are on this problem. I shared how a number of you mentioned ECU, a vacuum leak, or TPS. Then I remembered someone mentioning the coils. It sparked a memory in the Service Tech about a coil issue the R1's are having. He is gonna review it and see if the symptoms are similar. He is also going to contact MamaYama to see if they have any intel.

Guess I'll sit and impatiently wait...
Stand firm, my friend. And consider adding the "Job" club graphic to your sig line. You're earning it.

[SIZE=8pt](in case of confusion that's Job as in "the patience of...")[/SIZE]

Did a google search for TBS on the FJRforum.com site looking for the symptoms of an out of sync TBS. The best I could find was 'rough running'.

Anyone here have details of what the symptoms were/are for an out of sync TBS? I know it will vary on particular conditions, but I'm wondering if this may be adding to my dilemma???

Now that I've completed my makeshift TBS tool, I'd like to perform the "Unofficial TBS" procedure. Too afraid to ask the dealer to do this as I'll probably be charged for just the idle adjusted TBS process.

As for the "Job" award; well, lets just say I've experienced that on other levels in life. :wacko: :( :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an earlier post suggesting that the TBS probably will not make that much of a difference. Crap!

The dealer was gonna ask MamaYama about an ECU. I'll also remind him of the ECU notice several years back.

The dealer was gonna ask MamaYama about an ECU. I'll also remind him of the ECU notice several years back.
That ECU issue was not at all related to 2005 motorcycles. That issue was exclusively with 2006 and 2007 years.

It still could be an ECU issue, but I REALLY doubt because of that issue.

That ECU issue was not at all related to 2005 motorcycles. That issue was exclusively with 2006 and 2007 years.

Ignacio,

Not according to Thug.

Post #36

"Well, Well, Good news! Turns out my Techie rings a guru in Sydney and he informs my Techie that he had to dig deep into the faults archives and found that My Vin matches some 05 Models that had ECU issue, stumbling at low revs etc....So its a free bee fix! NO a peep have I read anywhere that any 05's had an ECU issue? So there's one for the books!

My Techie is not very happy with his Guru mate here in Victoria spending all that time looking elsewhere when it was under his nose all along! Me thinks they are going to have words and old mate Guru is going to get a wake up call....

Stay tuned"

Post #38

OK here is an update. Turns out it was my ECU ( A small batch of 05's had them and my VIN matched, but not even Yamaha's Techs knew about it? how fucked is that?) Secondly my techie gave it a full service and tune said it goes like stick! but wait there was an intermittent problem with the stand switch too! have to wait until next week there are none in the country and are on back order.....When he disengaged the switch all was normal.....So there you go what a fucking drama!

Note to Yamaha.....Tell ALL techies about issues and don't bury them

Thug's thread

Ignacio,

Not according to Thug.
Thug who is in another continent, with an Australian delivered bike, that the North American released TBS does not necessarily apply?

Doubt it applies, but you're welcome to go down that path. If it proves to be true, be sure to get the specific VIN numbers that are part of that recall and not '06 or '07. :)

Iggy I had a TBS recall also....So what are you saying Iggy? that the guts of the yank's bike is different to all the other country's bikes?

I've compiled a 6 page list of responses from this and this thread and will deliver to the service manager after work today. Hopefully some of what all of you are saying will ring the proverbial bell and lead them in the right direction.

Thanks again for your continued support. :good:

Dealer spoke with MamaYama earlier this week. They claim one of two things are casuing my issue.

1) Carbon Tracking of the spark plug leads

2) TBS is WAY out.

3) Coils may be giving out (not Mama Yama's suggestion, but the service tech's)

4) There has been no known cases of ECU failure in the US, thus not the problem (As per MamaYama).

Kirk over @ Action Motorsport (AMS) in York PA has been very good to me and has stood by his statememt of "not charging for learning". At this point I have a THUMB UP for the Service at AMS, eventhough they are unable to effeciently solve this matter :glare:

1) I will check again, but an '05 with only 14,000 miles on her should NOT have any tracking!

2) Instead of paying $160+ for the dealer to perform a TBS test that is NOT of the "Unofficial" TBS method, I chose to make my own manometer and perform the adjustments myself. I found a slight variation to the homemade manometer in that the 1/4" ID tube is too large for the throttle body nipples. As such I'll be heading to Lowes after work today and buy the 1/8"ID(?) hose and appropriate reducers.

If and when it is discovered that the TBS or carbin tracking are not the issue, it will go back to AMS and Mama Yama for further trouble shooting.

Stand firm, my friend. And consider adding the "Job" club graphic to your sig line. You're earning it.

So how much more must I put up with?

Since I still believe it's something the service tech did to induce the problem, I've also purchased a can of starting fluid and will spray around the throttle bodies, fuel rail, and the like to see if I can't flush out a vacuum leak of sorts.

Afterwards, since the home made TBS tool should be ready, I'll begin the test/adjustments this weekend.

Sprayed carb cleaner around the TB unit and found no appreciable RPM rise during idle.

I then hooked up the home made carb tuner and started the bike again. It seems the carb tuner has some pretty big leaks and giving eroneous readings. Messed with it a bit only to continue having leaks (unless my TB is THAT far off), at this point I'm unable to confirm as its now buttoned up for work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get the chance to swap hoses from one cyl to the next to see if it's the tool or the TB unit is off. Either way, I'm now looking at the Morgan Carb tool as a professional and viable option.

Alright Job, how much more of this must I endure?????????????

Had more time to fuss with the TBS this afternoon. Decided to switch the order of hose to throttle body from previous set-up. Found that TB #4 was WAY out. Did the authorized version of the TBS and it idles MUCH better.

Slowly increased RPM to 3,500 and found #2 TB drops WAY down while the other's climb fairly even with each other. Since I'm not convinced my home made TB tool is accurate, I'll wait till Morgan's TB comes in some time late next week to begin the unauthorized TB sync.

Went out for a quick ride and she's MUCH smoother than before the TBS, but still needs adjustments at RPM.

I wouldn't have thought that an out of sync TB would cause such a rucuss, but it seems to have smoothed out with a bit of syncronizing. (I thought TBS only cured the buzzing problem in the bars and pegs.)

She does have 15,010 miles and a TBS has NEVER been completed; I guess it was due.

I'll let you all know how the un-authorized sync goes when the tool comes in.

Thanks again for all the assistance and insights, at the very least it saved me literally hundreds of $ of service fees!

Sport ~

First, I applaud you for your tenacity and patience!

Second, Good on ya for playing with your TBS and finding that it helped. Will be interested to hear of your findings when you have eliminated your home made gauge from the equation...

Third, Let me be the first to cast my vote that you have exhibited MORE than enough patience to qualify for the "JOB Award"! Tack it on there, my man!

Good luck reaching the final resolution and letting us know how it all played-out. :coolsmiley02:

Don

Morgan Carb tune came in today...3 days earlier than expected.

After the mulch is spread, lawn is mowed, kids taken and returned from baseball and cheerleading I should be able to start the tuning...Saturday morning.

More to follow!

Thank god for threads like this one. Not like the "How Old Are You" or "Does Your Significant Other Ride?" threads. Those are SO ghey, I got a yeast infection just reading the damn things.

Thank god for threads like this one. Not like the "How Old Are You" or "Does Your Significant Other Ride?" threads. Those are SO ghey, I got a yeast infection just reading the damn things.
Where have we heard that before? Oh yeah, on every other thread on this forum! <_<

Let me help you out and print it a few more times... :D

Maybe in a different color?

Or maybe a different size?

[SIZE=18pt]Thank god for threads like this one. Not like the "How Old Are You" or "Does Your Significant Other Ride?" threads. Those are SO ghey, I got a yeast infection just reading the damn things.[/SIZE]

Just being helpful Howie. :eek: :lol: :D

Where have we heard that before? Oh yeah, on every other thread on this forum! <_<

Let me help you out and print it a few more times... :D

Just being helpful Howie. :eek: :lol: :D
Give the guy (yes, guy, not ghey) a break, he can't ride, so has to fill his time elsewhere. Call it therapy.