TPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbraido

Reaction score
I have an 05 FJR - 40,000 miles and it at times exhibits symptoms that lead to TPS replacement - my model number was not on the recall list. I checked the TPS with the bike digital readout and it appears fine - starts at 15 to 99 and goes up graduated when twisting the throttle. Today while riding it felt that it was going to quit a few times when accelerating from stop and in 2nd gear where there seems to be no throttle response when accelerating then all of a sudden it picks up. It doesn't do this all the time just on occasion. I replaced the OEM air filter last year with a K & N but this just started happening in the middle of this year. Any suggestions are appreciated also just wondering if I should just replace the TPS and go from there. Thanks Phil

If it does this only when hot then it is likely to be a TPS failure. The 15 to 99 you read on the diAG screen corresponds to 15% throttle opening to 99% throttle opening. Regardless of what gear you are in, if the failure happens at 25% of throttle opening (for instance), it should fail at this point in all gears. It will feel more pronounced in the lower gears.

If it does this cold and hot *might* still be a TPS failure.

It is possible for a TPS to pass the test you did with the diAG screen and still be bad. Awaiting your response to determine the next steps…

If it does this only when hot then it is likely to be a TPS failure. The 15 to 99 you read on the diAG screen corresponds to 15% throttle opening to 99% throttle opening. Regardless of what gear you are in, if the failure happens at 25% of throttle opening (for instance), it should fail at this point in all gears. It will feel more pronounced in the lower gears.
If it does this cold and hot *might* still be a TPS failure.

It is possible for a TPS to pass the test you did with the diAG screen and still be bad. Awaiting your response to determine the next steps…
I guess that is what I was wondering about the passing the digital readout test could it still be faulty. It does it when Cold and occasionally when hot and yes it is more pronounced in the lower gears. Thanks

The normal TPS failure modes are 1) bad 100% of the time or 2) works when cold and then fails when hot. If your symptoms happen when cold but sometimes does not happen when hot, the TPS is probably not the fault. I took my DMM and back probed the ground and signal wires right at the TPS connector, Velcroed the meter to my handlebars and went for a ride to diagnose my TPS problem. My ride clearly showed my TPS failure on the DMM.

Have you checked for stored error codes yet? The list of general questions: Has this been going on for longer than one tank of gas? When were the plugs last changed? Have you verified that the plug wires are firmly attached? There is a post about a connector at the front, top right of the engine above the valve cover & air injection system, in front of the Tee bar that has been found corroded on some bikes. Are all the TBS caps in place? Have you checked the rubber intake boots band clamps for air leaks?

The normal TPS failure modes are 1) bad 100% of the time or 2) works when cold and then fails when hot. If your symptoms happen when cold but sometimes does not happen when hot, the TPS is probably not the fault. I took my DMM and back probed the ground and signal wires right at the TPS connector, Velcroed the meter to my handlebars and went for a ride to diagnose my TPS problem. My ride clearly showed my TPS failure on the DMM.
Have you checked for stored error codes yet? The list of general questions: Has this been going on for longer than one tank of gas? When were the plugs last changed? Have you verified that the plug wires are firmly attached? There is a post about a connector at the front, top right of the engine above the valve cover & air injection system, in front of the Tee bar that has been found corroded on some bikes. Are all the TBS caps in place? Have you checked the rubber intake boots band clamps for air leaks?
I'll have to do some checking into these items - Thanks for the info Ion