Tracer 9 GT--to Replace my FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
It's about time to get my last motorcycle. I figure if I get a new one now it'll still be in good shape when I'm older than Joe Biden (is now), and I don't think the '14 FJR will make it all that way. It probably would be if I spent a lot of money to fix it all up, but it would still weigh whatever it does now, and I'm close enough to Joe's age already; the Tracer is a pretty nifty looking sport tourer with about a negative 150 lb. advantage. I think it will do everything I want and I wouldn't have to give up much of what I love about the Feejer.

I took a test ride yesterday and it grew on me the more I rode it. I'd read in one of the reviews that it "comes alive" at higher rpm's, and that seemed to be true. There's a very wide power band in every gear so it accelerates hard in most any gear and at most any speed. All kinds of sophisticated electronics, some I may never even figure out how to use, but I'm willing to try. It loses on wind and weather protection, but an upgraded windscreen or even some kind of clip on deflector should help with that. I just don't want to rush the decision, but I'm close--I just need a little nudge over the line one way or the other.

So who's familiar with this bike? What do you have to say about it? I still want to be able to do some fairly long rides so I'll find a good top case, and I hope to find out if I can mount highway pegs (although one review pointed out that the Tracer does not have mounting points for that. Hope that can be overcome.) But I'd love to hear so helpful thoughts about this quest. So please fire away. Thanks.

I sold my 2016 FJR for a 2020 Tracer GT when I wanted to go lighter. It was ok, but I now have a 2022 FJR again and I won’t make the same mistake again. Too tall for me, vibey, chain driven which isn’t terrible, and I actually missed the weight of the FJR in certain situations. It kind of felt like a toy compared to the FJR. If you hadn’t had the pleasure of owning an FJR it would probably be fine.
You can mount highway pegs to the upper motor mounts. I used T-Rex universal pegs, they come with 2 different drop brackets but you will have to add spacers and longer motor mount bolts. Easy. You will also absolutely need a new seat. FJR side cases fit as well. Good luck with your decision.

No idea how much homework you've done nor did you ask about other alternatives but here's a link to another thread which might be of some interest. Some worthwhile opinions in there me thinks.

https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/thinking-of-going-lighter.149885/
Edit: Read through or jump towards the end to see how opinions have changed and what some ended up with.

Last edited:
We have 2 Gen3 FJRs and a 2015 FJ-09. I really like both and ride them for different reasons.

On the FJ-09 I just went from Michelin RP 4 to 6, great upgrade so far. I didn’t have electronic suspension and also put Ohlins front and back, again great improvement for this vintage bike. For two up we are more likely to take the FJR for no reason other than choice really. On the FJ about 3 turns extra preload on rear shock feels about right, at least on the very limited initial test ride with the wife on the back. I also tried a V steam wind screen. Want to love it but it’s in the box. Great looks and huge improvement over stock but at 6’3” it puts the wind att top of chest and just under my chin so I need the medium size screen and or clip on, so I stick with the super shorty. Heard the tall screen might bend the mounting brackets but assume that person did extended +80 and excess mph riding. My FJ V stream has less than 50 miles on it so basically brand new but in box non the less. I prefer the FJ for shorter rides or toss around riding or slow speed practice. I do find it easier to man handle and have more confidence testing the limits especially doing slow speed stuff. We have a couple miles of gravel mountain roads to navigate every trip coming and going and feel less stress about possibly dropping the lighter FJ. The lighter weight is just more comforting at times.

IMG_2061.jpegIMG_2058.jpegIMG_2054.jpeg

The ECU was flashed and it’s a fun little ripper. Wish I could disable whatever cuts the motor when the front wheel gets a couple beer cans high off the ground but I am 95% out of or too old for hooligan mode anyway. I do find the more upright seating position nice and comfy but…. The but, for me, is I have to be more conscious about using my core when spirited twisty riding sometimes. For me with minimal wind protection the upright seating has me tending to hold the bars too tight until I get into the groove. Probably just me, my height and this particular model FJ.

If I get rid of the FJ I’d prefer the 2023 GT+ for the upgrades to engines, suspension and electronics. I did look at the 2021 Tracer 9 GT before finding the current FJ. I got the FJ reasonably cheap and knew I wanted another larger bike as well and didn’t want to finance a bike at the time.

Will it replace my FJR? Not at this time and it’s not really an apples to orange comparison anyway. I love the FJR and for some riding it feels more natural and confidence inspiring. Two up spirited riding is an example. That said if you’re not doing tons of long distance two up riding and don’t mind the height of the FJ/Tracer or possibility of being blown around a little more by wind gusts the Tracer 9 might be a good fit if you’re ready for a lighter bike. It should be a capable tourer as well if you set it up with bags and don’t try to direct compare it to a bigger tourer like the FJR or similar type of bike.

Ride your ride! Be safe but most of all have fun doing it.

I’m waiting for the Tracer 9 GT Plus that’s coming next year. It’s in Europe now but Yamaha has submitted paperwork to EPA for next year. The BMW F900XR and the S1000XR are feature rich but are more expensive. I’m tired of the top heavy weight of the FJR so I want to go lighter. I must be getting old because it used to not bother me so much.