Trade my FJR for a BMW R1200RT?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry5k

Reaction score
It has always been in the back of my mind to one day buy an R1200RT. So today, having nothing better to do and the fact that motorcycles now control my life, I took a ride to a BMW dealer and test rode a 2009 model. It looks great, has an excellent and comfortable seating position, has great safety features (options, of course), and is relatively light compared to other bikes in its class.

Well after the test ride I can now say that there is no comparison. My 2005 doesn't have linked brakes, stability control, heated grips, or cruise control, but it is super smooth, the power is awesome, and it is rock solid. To trade in the FJR for a $20,000 Beemer just doesn't seem worth it at this point . It didn't seem as solid as the FJR and there were too many buttons to push. I'm not knocking the bike, and you may have one. As for me, I will sleep soundly tonight no longer thinking I should buy the bike of my dreams, as that notion was gently shattered today. Tomorrow, however, there may be another dream bike in my sights! I did take more than a sideways glance at the 2009 K1300GT!!!!!!!

The FJR is in my garage, cleaned, polished, and ready to ride!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm of the same mind. My '05 still makes me smile every time almost 5 years later. It's going to take quite a machine to ever replace it.

...The FJR is in my garage, cleaned, polished, and ready to ride!!!!!
Same here Barry & Karl. I have an 05, too, and it's the ultimate "what-you-want-it-to-be" motorbike.

A friend and I bought a lightly-used C-14 last year and figured it may be a worthy replacement for the FJR. He's got an 07 and puts >20,000 miles a year on it.

The Connie was a sweet deal and both of us put a few thousand miles on the Kawi just for kicks, but no dice. We sold it last week.

I wouldn't mind getting a new stable mate for my FJR, but no ST. No point: in that class, the FJR still rules.

Stef

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignacio: For what it's worth and I don't know if it's "The Fix" or not, there are all new part numbers from BMW for the crowngear set, inside bearing on the pinion shaft, case and cover. Really hope it's "The Fix"; I'm buying a 2010 K1300GT!

This definitely doesn't mean I'm selling Miss Lucy Liu, my sweet 2003 FJR. K Bike is just on my "Bucket List" before I croak!!

Ignacio: For what it's worth and I don't know if it's "The Fix" or not, there are all new part numbers from BMW for the crowngear set, inside bearing on the pinion shaft, case and cover. Really hope it's "The Fix"; I'm buying a 2010 K1300GT!
This definitely doesn't mean I'm selling Miss Lucy Liu, my sweet 2003 FJR. K Bike is just on my "Bucket List" before I croak!!
Hope it works out for you, but keep the FJR assistance list handy -- we'll still help a stranded board member on a beemer. ;)

Go raibh maith agat McNamara: The FJR Assistance List is a great benefit; as is yearly BMW Owners Anonymous Help Book!

ShinyPartsUp: Was the violet eyed lass in Kilkenny you drank Smitticks with named Mora? If so, she is still a hot Irish Babe!

Yup. Have owned BMW boxers (both oil and air heads) and bricks before.

When I get feeling jaded about my FJR, I'll just ride it out to Binghamton and have Gary paint it a new color! :yahoo:

The RT is a lightweight PIG... soft engine, lousy reliability and expensive to maintain and fix when it will go south on you. It is not if you will have an expensive final drive or clutch failure, but when !

Signed,

EX BMW owner