Traffic Camera Locations Across America

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Stumbled onto this web site and thought that it was interesting enough to share.

It shows the location of 4,150 Traffic Enforcement Cameras all across North America. While this may not be a comprehensive list of every Red Light or Speed Camera out there, it does show what locations make it a habit to use such enforcement techniques before you ride there.

It's an interactive map so you can zoom in and see details of an area you are considering riding in.

Red Light and Speed Camera Map

Dont forget, you can also download Ethanol free gas stations from Pure-gas.org.

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/poi.jsp

Last summer, I actually downloaded the list, edited it into state specific lists, and loaded them as needed for the trip I was on.

BUT -

This allows self reporting, so it is become more inaccurate everyday. I've pulled up to gas stations that say they've never had Ethanol free fuel. even though someone added them to the list

It takes a Gas Station owner all of 3 minutes to add his station to the list, and get motorcyclists pulling in with little or no other option.

I'm so freaking glad I don't live near Washington D.C. Wow, the yellow dots around there! (Fred's link) That's pretty scary. How long till they just have some kind of transponder built into every new vehicle, and your speeding tickets just arrive in the mail no matter where you do it? Freaking Big Brother is watching!

Funny you should say that, Mike...

In Massachusetts they recently started something new on the Mass 'Pike called "Open Road Tolling." What they did was installed EZ Pass Transponders and Cameras over each lane at entrance ramps and strategic locations along the toll road. They then removed all of the traditional toll booths.

As you drive and pass under the gantry across the road it reads your EZ Pass transponder and automatically figures out how much to bill you. But, get this, if it doesn't read your EZ Pass it gets a photo of your plate and then send you a toll bill for that. Of course the photo tolls are more expensive than the EZ Pass ones, encouraging everyone to get an EZ Pass transponder.

How long before they'll start doing the math on your entrance and exit times and distance traveled and mailing along a speeding citation along with the toll?

Funny you should say that, Mike...
In Massachusetts they recently started something new on the Mass 'Pike called "Open Road Tolling." What they did was installed EZ Pass Transponders and Cameras over each lane at entrance ramps and strategic locations along the toll road. They then removed all of the traditional toll booths.

As you drive and pass under the gantry across the road it reads your EZ Pass transponder and automatically figures out how much to bill you. But, get this, if it doesn't read your EZ Pass it gets a photo of your plate and then send you a toll bill for that. Of course the photo tolls are more expensive than the EZ Pass ones, encouraging everyone to get an EZ Pass transponder.

How long before they'll start doing the math on your entrance and exit times and distance traveled and mailing along a speeding citation along with the toll?
When NY first came out with EZ-Pass the state police discovered someone who must have been averaging well above the speed limit based on his entry and exit times. Word got around that they were using EZ-Pass for speed enforcement and the use of EZ-Pass dropped considerably. They stopped using it for speed enforcement and it has since become very successful for tolls. We have open road tolling in many places, but still have toll booths to accommodate cash customers.

One county here just raised their "administration fees" and the adjoining one will soon be following suit. My son just got a red-light camera ticket last week (infraction date - his birthday at 0220 on his way home from work) which cost him $150.00, $110 of which was to cover fees.

They already do this in the UK. Cameras at the start and end of stretches of highway, and calculate your average speed.

Of course they also have speed cameras, and plain vans with speed cameras that can be moved anywhere.

I was a kid when they built the NYS Thruway--it was a loooong time ago. Your ticket that you picked up when you got on had a time stamp, and if you got off too soon for the distance traveled, you were cited. No cameras, no computers--just some basic arithmetic. I don't know if your ticket came by mail or what, but this idea's been around a long time.

I do remember my parents talking about the toll--it was the first toll road in our area. The state said tolls would just be collected until the road was paid for, and I remember my folks calling b.s. on that--"once they start getting it, they'll never stop." Wonder how long ago the cost of building that road was covered.

One county here just raised their "administration fees" and the adjoining one will soon be following suit. My son just got a red-light camera ticket last week (infraction date - his birthday at 0220 on his way home from work) which cost him $150.00, $110 of which was to cover fees.
Plead not guilty and wait for the camera to show up in court. I would never ever pay a red light ticket from a camera EVA!!!

Sorry Mike this is a pet peve of mine. Erks me to know end.

Edit: I just looked at Fred's map he posted. Something tells me these are more than just red light cameras. They seem to be targeting certain areas for sure. JSNS

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the jurisdiction. The ticket is either to the license plate or to the driver. In case it is to the driver - then this might come in handy..

41nmxBCXC0L.jpg

Here your letter comes to the plate/registered owner. Not paying can get pretty ugly, not only for the late fees and collection agencies but come time for your registration renewal and you'll be flagged. Wanna fight the flash? I've haven't heard many success stories there. Along that line, I have personally witnessed drivers refusing to yield way to emergency vehicles when stopped at a camera controlled intersection, my belief being it's just too much of a hassle to fight even that situation.

As far as where these are placed, that could get a little too political for here. Bottom line is this thread serves as a good reminder to be aware when operating in jurisdictions utilizing this technology.

Red light cameras, as red light cameras are great. People begin to finally stop at the dammed light, instead of running it for 2 seconds after its gone red. However, speed cameras are bullshit. Revenue generators 100%, and most of the money goes to the company supplying the equipment.

Dave, the issue with fighting the citations is, one doesn't even know they were cited until a citation shows up in the mail. I'm not going to drive a couple hundred miles to possibly lose a civil hearing. I'd bet wins to losses are close to 10/90, or worse. 6/94? It's cheaper and easier to just pay. The cities, and the private company both know this. It's set up that way on purpose.

Edit: I just looked at Fred's map he posted. Something tells me these are more than just red light cameras. They seem to be targeting certain areas for sure. JSNS
The web site I linked to shows both Red Light Cameras, Speed Cameras and cameras that record both. They are color coded. The Red Light Cameras are in much greater numbers than the others.

They do not use this technology in all parts of the country, and that was the point of me linking to the website, so you could see where this type of enforcement is going on and be forewarned. Luckily for me they do not use these up in the New England states too much, so I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Since either running a red light or speeding is a moving violation, it should be levied against the driver not the car owner, shouldn't it? And wouldn't that add points to the operator's insurance?

How do they justify giving these driver violations to the vehicle owners? What did the vehicle owner do wrong? And what happens when the vehicle is owned by and registered to a company and not a person?

Or are these deemed to be non-point accumulating events?

I have several lights I hit on the way to work each day. No cameras but most every time someone goes thru the red light like flash gordan. I would rather see the police parked on the corner nailing these assholes rather than a camera. I am all for aprehending the violaters I just don't agree to the method of using a camera. Maybe they will find a few other charges to add on also.

Dave

Many people do not fully understand the law as it pertains to traffic signals, and to make matters worse that law also varies considerable from state to state. The distinction is known as either being a "permissive" or "restrictive" yellow light state.

The majority of states are "permissive", which means that they follow the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) and the Uniform Vehicle Code (UVC), which says that it is legal to enter any intersection under a green or yellow light, and continue through if the light turns red while actually in the intersection. It is (always) illegal to enter an intersection when the light has already turned red, except for when making a right turn in the "Right Turn On Red" states. So, in permissive states the red light camera would have to capture photo evidence of the vehicle crossing the stop line with the light already red, and not making a right turn, to get a ticket.

Restrictive states are those that are not in compliance with MUTCD and UVC, where you are expected to stop on any yellow if possible, and need to fully clear the intersection before the light turns red. In those states all you would need is a photo of the vehicle anywhere in the intersection on a red light to get ticketed. But enforcement of the law would be more troublesome for turning traffic in these states. For instance, left turners may be stuck in the intersection waiting for oncoming traffic until after a light turns red.

The problem with red light cameras in general is that, while it reduces the number of red light runners, and thereby reduces the number of side collisions in the intersection, it has coincidentally been found to increase the number of rear end collisions from people stopping short to avoid the possibility of a ticket. Which is why use of photo enforcement is on the decline in many of the areas that have tried it in the past.

The uncertainty of red light cameras is somewhat of a deterrence but I personally think (that opinion thing) that it's less of an impact that strict enforcement with immediate feedback.

The problem is that far too many jurisdictions have lost in cases that have proven the companies contracted to maintain the cameras (and share in the wealth) start short-cycling the lights to trap more drivers and drive up income. In some places it's caused the cities to have to pull the cameras when courts have determined abuse.

Good points Fred. One common use of red light cameras is also to record people making a right on red, that do not stop prior to making the turn. The cameras detect motion, and I have known a number of people that roll through a right turn as if the stop was not required. The camera nails them every time.

The costs of infractions varies considerably between states and local jurisdictions. I recall that in California a red light infraction, including rolling right turn could easily cost $400 to $500 after local and state surcharges were collected. Fees are often more than the infraction.