Tranny (shifter) bokerforked (Found: star cam broke off the shift drum!)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The light at the end of the tunnel says"CHECK ENGINE"...

Congratulations! but aren't you going to start it at least once with the exhaust system completely off?

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

Well, headers on, but no cans. Just to see. And hear.

As for tonight's progress, cooling system is done, throttle bodies and injectors are done, throttle cables adjusted, and I changed the front brake pads.

Still to go: air box, gas tank, add oil and water, install battery, and it should run. Bodywork and seats and I can ride!!!!! Oh, yeah.... maybe put the cans back on, too......

Hopefully tomorrow is enough, because I'm going up into Alabama Saturday for an event with my photography club and I don't want to take the 13.7-mpg Crown Vic!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fired it up, discovered that I'M TOO STUPID TO TIGHTEN THE BOLTS ON THE COOLANT PIPE AT THE TOP, so coolant poured out onto the headers. You see graphic evidence in the video, but that's OK. I'm not too badly ashamed. I knew it was going to do that when I saw the water dripping, but I wanted to make sure it fired, anyway. Had a lot of smoke, which I guess happens when the motor sits upside down for two or three weeks and oil pours into the combustion chambers.....

But you'll notice that my Dale Walker Holeshots are not yet installed..... HAD to do it, neighbors be damned!
smile.png

You have to wonder what it would sound like pulling under load on the road....... Maybe......

And yes, that's a motorcycle tire..... I've not gone back to the light side permanently, but my brother left a tire here when he moved to California, and when the car tire I had got a little long in the tooth, I decided free was better then spending money, despite the fact that it's a used tire. Maybe even a discarded track day tire....

Last edited:
So, you started it without the Holeshots, are you going to ride it without the boots?

Congrats, it's been an interesting and useful saga to follow.

Stay safe when you're back on the road.

Hey Walt,

I just want to throw in a serious comment. I think that you have done something momentous here. And I'm hoping that it pays off big dividends. have no doubt that it will, karma being what it is.

Thank you from all the rest of us techno-dweebs that both understood and can use your documentation in the future should the need ever arise ( Dog forbid) But some of your down home engineering to get the engine in and out will certainly help someone down the road.

I'm sure that the personal satisfaction has been worth the effort. I know it would be if it were me. But I also know that the joy and exuberance of making that first ride on the resuscitated bike will be much more than any of us (that have not been through it) can comprehend.

Gigantic kudos to you for having tackled the big job, and even bigger ones for having completed it. There are a few things in life that deliver adequate reward for the efforts involved. I'm pretty sure that you have just been through one of those.

Gigantic thumbs up to you, mate!

DONE ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Tupperware restored, cans reinstalled, test ride complete, all fluids remain contained internally (other than consumed fuel, of course,) and shifts like buttah!

117 days without a Feej. It was horrible!!!!!
smile.png

But total cost of repair, not counting my own labor, was less than a hunnert bucks, and 25 of that was a tube of liquid gasket, the stuff specified in my older manual, of which 99.995% remains. New bolts for the crankshaft bearings on the crankcase halves, some new O-rings, shipping for the salvage parts from hppants, and a couple of other things I can't remember right now. I changed the front brake pads while doing this work, discovered they had a few days left, maybe.
smile.png

Oh. Maybe twenty bucks for a couple of tools I didn't have, the 36mm socket and the torque angle gauge. I have those now.

Congratulations! Well done.

(Don't forget the organ donation from a dearly departed FJR engine!)

Walt, thanks for the really interesting tech thread. I just hope I never ever need to use the information here.

Congrats on a job well done! Hopefully I never have to refer to this post for my own tear down, but nice to see it can be done with success.

Well shoot - this is a great ending.

All of you had a part in this. Your generosity toward replacing Patriot's motor lead to his donor motor, which got wfooshee back in the wind.

Give yourselves a hand!

wfooshee, thanks for sharing all this with us. The photos, descriptions, and narrative were exceptional, and I learned lots about how moto transmissions work.

By the way, nearly 8 years later, bike is still with me! Starting to do the second-gear skip, though! :rolleyes: Would have been nice to throw in the updated 2nd gear set when I had it apart, the one with more dogs on the wheels. Still we are looking at a bike that will be 20 years from its original delivery in December...