Trans Mass Trail dirty ride Sunday 24 July

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Bill

Old Dog
Reaction score
Meet up for breakfast at 9 am Brimfield Ma at this place HooYah's :cheff:

It will take a few hours to meander to the Southern section of the Trans Mass Trail - TMT

The TMT goes across Massachusetts from CT to the start of the VT Puppy Dog Route. We are not doing the Puppy Dog until next month. I'd expect the TMT to take a few hours.

Return along mainly paved back roads to Sturbridge/Brimfield area will take another two hours.

There will also be a Duck Hunt :trinibob:

No knobbies needed on this ride. :scooter:

In

Mr Bill - orange 690 r with knobbies

De Oppresso Liber - green klx 250 with wheelie gears

NYC mystery rider - green klr

Will there be a new thread started for the Puppy Dog run, Bill?
Yes. You have camping gear? Figure a long weekend. Meet up late Friday and stay in hotel at Southern end to head out early Saturday. Camp Saturday night at half way point and at turnaround point near Canada. Slab back home along VT 100 Monday.

Camping gear = Yup! I will have to wait and see how the dates for this falls, as I may or may not be able to make it. BUT, I would be willing to host a second run at a later date if I couldn't make this one and there was enough interest by others. I'm not opposed to a severe case of motorcycle-itis if I can't find someone to do a swap at work!

I think I'm off for this run, the weather is just too hot. Let's talk again in the cooler weather.

I think I'm off for this run, the weather is just too hot. Let's talk again in the cooler weather.
Chester forecast high Sunday is 83. Going to be brutal the next few days and then cool off some.

I have heated gear so I'm good to go in the snow too! :)

Hopefully, but not betting on it. But, OTOH, low 80's and dry is way better after these past couple of days in the mid 90's and humid. I even found it bearable in gear today as long as I kept moving.

Bill, being that I may have the smallest fuel capacity, will there be a planned fuel stop prior to hitting the TMT? I need to go to NAPA or some other auto parts store and pick up a new O-ring for my MSR bottle, the old one is dry rotted. I'd like to keep some spare fuel with me as I don't know how many miles we'l be travelling or how far from civilization. ;)

Looking forward to Sunday! :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully, but not betting on it. But, OTOH, low 80's and dry is way better after these past couple of days in the mid 90's and humid. I even found it bearable in gear today as long as I kept moving.

Bill, being that I may have the smallest fuel capacity, will there be a planned fuel stop prior to hitting the TMT? I need to go to NAPA or some other auto parts store and pick up a new O-ring for my MSR bottle, the old one is dry rotted. I'd like to keep some spare fuel with me as I don't know how many miles we'l be travelling or how far from civilization. ;)

Looking forward to Sunday! :yahoo:
Leave the gas bottle at home. Three sections. First is the longest at 83 miles from Brimfield to the start of the tmt. There is a Shell station there I'll be filling up at too. Gas at the Northern section of the tmt/Puppy Dog Southern point.

My ktm gets 50 mpg and even better on slow going roads like the tmt. I go on reserve around 150 miles. I'd think your 250 does better than that.

And if we do run out of gas we can steal it from the NYC gas tanker klr :lol:

Southern section is at the Mass/Ct border State Highway 183

Northern section is Greenfield I-91/Rt 2 area

The route bows out Westward between those two points.

Ok, it's cooler now.... :p High of 83 and sunny on Sunday sounds perfect!! Come get your KLX dirty and show me how a trials rider does it ;)

I plan on being there for sure. I'm working overnight again tonight and tomorrow. If for whatever reason I can't make it, I'll post up here.

See ya at Hooyas!

Ok, it's cooler now.... :p High of 83 and sunny on Sunday sounds perfect!! Come get your KLX dirty and show me how a trials rider does it ;)

I plan on being there for sure. I'm working overnight again tonight and tomorrow. If for whatever reason I can't make it, I'll post up here.

See ya at Hooyas!
Sorry CJ, I am currently riverside in NH and will have to catch you guys later in the year.

George

Sorry CJ, I am currently riverside in NH and will have to catch you guys later in the year.
George,

Why are you in NH? Did you eat too much at breakfast yesterday? :lol:

In:

klr from The City

klx from Westminsta

WR250R from Chalten

690R from Woosta

PICT0015.JPG

TMT - highway 116 is on the other side of the bridge

George- enjoy your time and try not to slip on a slippery rock and go over the falls, mmmkay? ;)

Bill- How are we getting through the chain barrier? My jumping skills are net yet fully developed to make a leap of that magnitude! :lol: I rode the bike in to work, it's all loaded and ready to go for when I get outta here. Can't wait! I'm trying to hydrate well now because I know its still gonna be a warm day tomorrow, especially with riding gear. I'm planning on coming down via 32/32A/9/19. I plan to get fuel either just before or after breakfast. Preferably before.

George- enjoy your time and try not to slip on a slippery rock and go over the falls, mmmkay? ;)

Bill- How are we getting through the chain barrier? My jumping skills are net yet fully developed to make a leap of that magnitude! :lol: I rode the bike in to work, it's all loaded and ready to go for when I get outta here. Can't wait! I'm trying to hydrate well now because I know its still gonna be a warm day tomorrow, especially with riding gear. I'm planning on coming down via 32/32A/9/19. I plan to get fuel either just before or after breakfast. Preferably before.
Gas and Hoo Yahs intersection of 19 and 20. 19 is a nice road and we will follow it South until the first dirt road heading West. After that it's mostly pavement until the TMT.

We'll skip jumping the chain on that bridge, I've got a better road that you will NEVER forget if you want to see it on the way home. Not too far out of the way just this side of the Quabbin between 32a and Greenwich Rd. It's called Mellon Rd.

Excellent! Do you have this file saved at all in google maps? Mapsource or a .gpx .gdb file won't help me as I have a Mac and it doesn't convert :angry: . I could look at the Google map at work, too! :lol:

If not, no worries. I'm bringing the zumo, but will be packed away so I plan to make points along the way (if/where we stop). I wasn't able to remove the zumo mount from my wifes bike in time to get it put on for this ride. I saw on ADV the original post with a satellite view of the TMT, looks like a nice riding area. I love western Mass in the more remote areas. My favorite is East River Rd, the southern end is in or near Chesterfield.... very sceniec/rural, a definite two thumbs up for me! The Skyline Drive that paralells this road is also nice.

Phuck, is it 7 yet?!?!?! I can't wait to get on the road! I've been teasing myself over on ADV and now I'm itching to ride! :clapping:
Get back to work and don't look at the weather. Showers rolling in from NY. Good part is it's from cooler Canadian air coming in. :Snorkle:

Bill,

Email sent. Will I be able to post pictures if I'm not a user on ADV? I could always just register, but "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!...." :rolleyes:

Thanks again for an absolutely AWESOME ride! It was a blast. I will get you the pictures this evening and try to create a reasonable ride report here, otherwise will be a useless thread! I was just too tired to get them downloaded last night. I was never tired during the trip even after working all night, I was having WAY too much fun! :clapping: The scenery was phenomenal. I love that out seemingly in the middle of nowhere that you can see gorgeous homes and farms...... wish I could live out there!

Keep us informed of any plans for the Puppy Dog Run. I hope to make it, but if not, I'd be willing to do a midweek run for those who might be able to attend IF I can get it into a downloadable form using Mac. My buddy has my pc and he's trying to fix it so I can put it back into service.

CJ