Trip from Tampa,FL to the Dragon and area NC,TN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockmurf

IBA #31100
Reaction score
In the next week or two I would like to ride up to tn/nc and dragon area for a few days. Leaving on Sat with a stopover in atlanta to see family and then to the promised land for a few days of riding and relaxation. Any suggestions on lodging/roads would be appreciated. Thanks Everett semper fi

The wife and I are leaving for that area Fri. morning for our annual Fall trek. We'll be up there till Tues. morning to come back. Maybe we'll see you up there! Look for a silver '03 with a GIVI on it!

I have stayed at the Microtel in Robbinsville, the Ironhorse Lodge (www.ironhorsenc.com), and at Fontana Village (www.fontanavillage.com.

We have returned to the Ironhorse the most, and is our preferred choice when we head to Robbinsville; They can accomidate everything from tent campers to bunkhouses to cabins and rooms. Great atmosphere and it's off the beaten path.

For roads; 28 south from the dragon (CROT) all the way to SC is great; you can cut across from Clayton, GA on Warwoman Road, then north on 28 to the dragon. The dragon is what the marketing has made it, IMHO, and the LEO presence has been heavy as of late. Hit 143 west out of Robbinsville, aka Cherohala Skyway; very nice road, great pull outs to view the fall colors.

Enjoy & ride safe.

-Wayne

Waynesville is good place to stay. plenty of lodging. can leave and be on the parkway in 3 different places within 30 minutes. Its an hour from the Dragon. great riding all the way around.

I have stayed at the Microtel in Robbinsville, the Ironhorse Lodge (www.ironhorsenc.com), and at Fontana Village (www.fontanavillage.com.
We have returned to the Ironhorse the most, and is our preferred choice when we head to Robbinsville; They can accomidate everything from tent campers to bunkhouses to cabins and rooms. Great atmosphere and it's off the beaten path.

For roads; 28 south from the dragon (CROT) all the way to SC is great; you can cut across from Clayton, GA on Warwoman Road, then north on 28 to the dragon. The dragon is what the marketing has made it, IMHO, and the LEO presence has been heavy as of late. Hit 143 west out of Robbinsville, aka Cherohala Skyway; very nice road, great pull outs to view the fall colors.

Enjoy & ride safe.

-Wayne
Yep, Microtel this trip! We usually get a house for a week, but this is just a long weekend this trip! and YES to all the above! Unless the cops are gone, we probably won't do it this trip! Really no big loss, unless you've never been through it before. Plenty of other roads to ride!

Just got back this morning. Usually 3 cops on the dragon on the weekends it seems. The other riders normally give you a heads up. Great fun and a radar detector is helpful. Not a lot of cops other than on the dragon and its still great fun. Late night and predawn ensure a leo free trip. Good luck it's a blast!!