Triumph Tiger

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fjroamer

Reaction score
well..., this should get the "nay-sayers" all spun up :yahoo:

Ran it out on some open roads (sweet sweet sounds emanating from the tail... ) and then up in the twisties of a central Wa. canyon (effortlessly transitioning from side to side). Lug it down and twist throttle... gathers ground quickly with great torque. Riding position very roomy and comfortable and only observation would be buffetting which could be changed by different screen. If you think your FJR handles like a "SPORT-tourer" then go take the trumpet for a spin!!! :glare:

Returned it unscathed and got back on the FJR for the rest of the day. What a "slab" with a confined riding position and a less "soulful" motor, but.... I still enjoy riding it for five yrs. now. Yep, that was my honest impression. I still enjoy and will most likely continue to own the Feejer. I guess I'm just amused by some of the folks that think their bikes are superior to anything else that comes near to the FJR's categorization. Get over it!

It's a great bike (for me) the Feejer, but...., on some other days, other choices may be more satisfyingly enjoyable.

...end of story..., have at it! :lol:

"A perfect reason to own more than one bike "

Gunny That!

I knew I was missing something!

Actually I've been looking around for a "project" bike for a few weeks now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't ridden one, but it doesn't look as comfortable for long hauls as the FJR.

The FJR also has a 6.6 gallon fuel capacity vs 5.2 on the triumph.

I'd be curious to know the actual quarter mile time of the triumph as well. It has less horse power, but also weighs in quite a bit less. Hence better handling!

Also couldn't find out if the tiger comes with hard bags or are they extra?

I don't think the general forum concensus is that the FJR is the best at everything, but rather is the best all around package.

So how come you didn't trade in the FJR for the Tiger. If you like it more, GET IT!!!!!! :clapping:

*side note* does your 2003 have stock suspension???

I would like to take a “tiger” for a spin. Luv that scorched yellow :D with bags. Haven’t decided what I’m gonna replace my 06A with.

On a side note, yesterday I did get to go for a short ride on a C14 and a Versys.

I've never ridden a Triumph I didn't like... :rolleyes:
The only "new" Triumph I've ridden was a 2007 America. It's a nice motorcycle but cruisers just aren't my bag and I don't like the turn signals stuck out on the handle bars.

I've mentioned before that I like the looks of the Moto Guzzi Norge, but have not riiden one.

(side note - on the Tiger, the bags are "extra")

I've onlly read about the new Tiger and it's like every other motorcycle - some like it and some don't for various reasons.

I love my old Triumphs - but they in no way compare to the power and confort of the FJR. They're just nostalgia and fun to mess with.

There are things about the FJR that I don't really care for, but all in all, I'd have to agree with keithaba that to date, it's the best all around ride that I've come across.

I had both the 650 and 1000 Vstrom. While not a Tiger they are very bikes as far as ergos go. I liked the upright, comfortable, relaxed erogs but could not stand the airflow. I haven't ridden a Tiger or GS (yet) but from all the reading I do it seems airflow is the biggie. I think I'm spoiled with full fairings, you just can't beat the quiet/smooth ride.

I wish somebody would make a good DS with a full fairing? and/or good airflow.

Steve

I don't think the general forum concensus is that the FJR is the best at everything, but rather is the best all around package.
Bingo! It would be foolish to say that the FJR is THE best bike on the planet. However, when it comes to meeting many needs (for example: price, power, agility, 2-up capability, cargo capacity, etc.) the FJR is on a short list.

With that said, I can think of one thing that the FJR is not good at .... dual-sport. Although, just last week on a tour of the Dakotas, I spent 50+ miles on some of the roughest and deepest gravel that I've ever ridden on a big street bike and the FJR was just fine ... which is more than I can say for my nerves after all of that.

Bingo! It would be foolish to say that the FJR is THE best bike on the planet. However, when it comes to meeting many needs (for example: price, power, agility, 2-up capability, cargo capacity, etc.) the FJR is on a short list.

Amen to that! You did notice that after five yrs. I still have the Feejer and enjoy it very much with no immediate plans to replace it.

One correction, the Tiger was an '07 model but appears '08 will be the same. It does have hard bags, heated grips, taller screem, comfort seat ?, top case as options and aftermkt, engine guards to which fwd. foot pegs can be attached, aux lites mounted... or quite "farkle-able". Not the full frontal protection of FJR but... adequate. Much better seat, ergos (for me) and I believe this could easily be an "all day" bike. It might give up something on extended trips but that's all relative.....

I remember when I ordered the FJR in spring of '02, I was also posting on bmwrt.com, as the then R1150RT was a consideration. Boy did I take the hits for even suggesting the FJR might be a better consideration for multiple reasons. I stood my ground as they defended their "deified marque" and some mbrs. wanted the moderators to have me ...silenced :eek: . I see some of that mentality occasionally around here (not predominantly) and again, am amused. Of note is that I've noticed in the last couple of yrs. that a couple of the bmwrt.com guys have switched over to FJR's. I wonder if they are held in disdain now????? ;)

Seems one is sticking his neck out even suggesting they liked the new 1400 Concours or K1200GT or Tiger or.... whatever. I'm rather certain I will not forever own the Feejer but I still have it and still enjoy it. Isn't that the bottom line???? Some of my most enjoyable trips have been with two close friends.., one on a BMW1100RT and his son on an H.D. Ultraglide Classic. Three diff. continents represented and we all are happy with what we ride. We know where the next town is so it's o.k. if one takes off and runs up ahead.

Ride what ya like and like what ya ride...

'nuf said ;)

Roamer

The new Triumps are fantastic bikes and as much as I loved my Sprint, I won't get another Triumph until the company supports their dealers, or there's a decent dealer near me.

The dealers are required to buy a set stock of parts, on Triumph's payment terms. Most dealers don't sell that many of any one particular Triumph model and need to have just about everything shipped to them, meaning the bike gets laid-up or you get real familiar with a few mail-order dealers who do have decent inventories. I constantly worried on trips that I'd get stuck somewhere for a fairly minor part. It was worth the shipping to actually get parts from a dealer in the UK when I had to replace the radiator and some plastic. Forget salvage-yard parts, these are full retail, all the time. I never really appreciated the meaning of factory support until I bought my Ducati. After I sold the Triumph and bought the Ducati, my life got a LOT easier!

I really am impressed by the new Tiger and would love to own one. There are some really good Triumph dealers and if you live near one you are a very lucky person. But if you want to hear new ways to swear, talk to the parts or general manager at a dealer who dumped the brand.

Bob

I just traded in 2003 Sprint for my FJR. The bike was great, the sound of engine was awesome, my biggest complaint was the bad buffering on highway from the semi-trucks. Believe it or not this was due to Triumph's suspension, not the windsheild. My only other complaint is that the valves need to be adjusted every 12K miles :dribble: Plus the dealer charges you out the a$$ for this adjustment. In fact, my last 24K checkup cost over $800 and that was with me suppling my own parts & fluids. And it seem every time I brought it to the dealer they would either break, mis-wire or scratch something on the bike. This is why I plan to do all my own maintenance on the FJR.

I do like the Tiger, however at this point I don't think I would buy another Triumph mainly because of the Dealer support and the expensive maintenance cost.

I forgot to mention how much better the FJR looks than the Tiger.

I don't think anyone can argue that one!

tiger2.jpg

fjr-1300.jpg

Triumph_Tiger_1050_2007_rear.jpg

fjr-1300-rear.jpg

tiger_1050_scoop.jpg

06FJR1300A_blue_1sized.jpg

The Tiger says, "You can't keep up with me in the tight stuff!"

The FJR says, "Out handle me all you want, but I'm a sexy bitch!"

Hey you Tiger knockers! :fuck: A mate of mine has the 07 (Black) and is going to update to the 08. I have ridden them and man they are a great bike. Light, agile plenty of power and a great comfy and very relaxing riding position. He also had the 04FJR so he knows (as I do) the value of a comfortable ride. If you get a chance go for it you won't be disappointed. And those of you with constant shoulder pain? it disapears...

Latest posts