Trusting a Mechanic After a Mistake

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The rear pads don't have pins.  IIRC the rear pads just ride in slots on the caliper.
Oh, shoot. You are right. They fit in the slots front and rear. It's been a while since I had mine off. However, with as many tire changes as I've done, that's further indication that they don't just fall out. Are they held in by clips? I can't frigging remember, but if a clip broke, would that let a pad out? As much as I want to remember, I am NOT going to go take my bike apart. Haha! 

Oh, shoot. You are right. They fit in the slots front and rear. It's been a while since I had mine off. However, with as many tire changes as I've done, that's further indication that they don't just fall out. Are they held in by clips? I can't frigging remember, but if a clip broke, would that let a pad out? As much as I want to remember, I am NOT going to go take my bike apart. Haha! 
No clips to hold them in. They will fall out without much effort if the caliper is not mounted and it gets knocked around a bit.

Thanks you all for the feedback.  Made me think about what my move was going to be.  

I hear people who wouldn't trust him after that, but I went with having him do the work replacing the parts that were damaged.  He said he wanted to make it right and has a reputation and a business to maintain and I get that.  

Much appreciated !

The internet can be the best or worst place to get advice . I say if the guy owned up right away and is willing to fix it I'd give him the benefit of doubt. I've done some nasty things to my vehicles. I consider myself a very adept piston head. Shit happens . If he screws it up the second time ... THEN lose your shit on him. Don't ruin someone's rep without letting them fix it first.

Everyone makes mistakes, but, as a mechanic working for a living, that is a very bad mistake. Life endangering in fact. He sounds like he wants to make things right. I would let him pay for parts and have the job done by someone qualified. Removing brake rotors is a PIA due to locktite. Don't need someone buggering up the screws, or breaking one off, or rounding out the inside. Degree of difficulty and cost goes up a bunch if that happens. Personally, I would never let him touch anything of mine again. I do this stuff myself because, I work slowly, methodically, and pay attention to what I am doing.  Many people could do it faster, but, when I'm done, I know it's done right. No need to be nasty to him. Hopefully, he will learn from his experience.
...and I'd never use the same rotor bolts. New every time.

No clips to hold them in. They will fall out without much effort if the caliper is not mounted and it gets knocked around a bit.
Yep. Been there done that.

As a famous prez once said... 

"Trust but Verify"

...and I'd never use the same rotor bolts. New every time.
I would probably reuse them as long as I was able to remove them without damaging the heads.  (Heat with pencil torch to loosen up the Loctite but not enough to affect temper or damage wheel)  Bolt torque is only 13 ft-lb so elongation shouldn't be an issue.  However, only another $15 or so for the (6) bolts and if the guy is paying for them, why not.

Not that big a job to do and I would choose to do it myself anyway.  I would also have a VERY close look at the caliper to make sure it wasn't damaged at the same time.  Needless to say but the brake pads would also get replaced.

Maybe there should be a thread of the stupid stuff we have done then this thread will not sound so bad. 

Maybe there should be a thread of the stupid stuff we have done then this thread will not sound so bad. 
Try titling the next thread differently then. Shark jumped. Closing thread as it's run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.