Try some real twisty routes in Michigan

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UselessPickles

Making Grand Canyon replicas from air boxes...
Reaction score
...the only catch is that you'll need to trade down a bit from the FJR to something a bit more lightweight, nimble, yet very fuel efficient:

542040_4163441214348_1247890628_n.jpg

snowy_berm.jpg

I got into mountain biking recently, and I'm loving it. The biggest problem, though, was finding places to ride. The Michigan Mountain Biking Association had a "trail guide", but it was just an alphabetical list of over 100 trails with street addresses and written "how to get here" instructions.

Over 100 trails! ...and I knew where about 5 of them were. Finally, a light bulb exploded over my head, and I spent the next few days finding glass shrapnel in my hair. But after I got that all cleaned up, I realized that I should stop wishing it were better, and just *make* it better!

And here's my solution... a new map-based guide to all the mountain biking trails in Michigan: https://mmba.org/2013/03/05/new-mmba-trail-guide/

Now that it's easy to find a place to try it, what are you waiting for?

It's like riding dirt bikes, which is praised as a great way to build up motorcycle handling skills, except that you don't need a trailer to transport your vehicle, you won't hurt your back picking it up after you drop it, and you'll get a great workout while doing it! I once burned 1800 calories in one 20 mile ride. A few rides like that, and the loss of weight will lead to better acceleration on your FJR
smile.png

And a few more pictures to make you want to try it:

66457_10200313580272158_144101023_n.jpg

184557_10200327660784162_1005759561_n.jpg

522226_4739416813378_1695023987_n.jpg

68774_4739416373367_1487980552_n.jpg

267719_4803375812313_785253004_n.jpg

Nice.. I really like MTBing too. Glad you posted the link for MI trails.If I ever have enough free time to get their I'll use that link.

My girlfriend and I ride Scott Spark 20's. We have riden Chequamegon in WI allot but hit pavement during the winter months. Ever been to Chequamegon in WI?

SpyBike.jpg

IMG_2307e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
UselessP invited me to join him in his new hobby. So I picked up something that will let this old guy keep up, just need new tires for it.

Actually - I think Jeff has me talked into taking this up - lots of trails around here and he's put together an awesome trailer finder app with the local trailer rider site (for pedal power, not hp bike).

2013-03-02183401_zps82aff556.jpg

Ever been to Chequamegon in WI?
Nope. I've only done local trails in SE Michigan so far, and a hiking trail up and down a mountain in Pennsylvania. Multiple miles of continuous steep uphill on rough rocky terrain: exhausting. Coming back down those same multiple miles of continuous steep downhill on rough rocky terrain: holy crap! 30mph+ skimming over fist-sized rocks is one way to get the adrenaline flowing.

Now that I can easily find all the trails in MI, I'll probably be doing a lot of small day and weekend trips this summer to check some of them out.

That engine would be nice on some of the flat and uphill sections. It would just be terrifying on downhill sections. There's also a very real benefit to having your vehicle weigh under 30lbs so that you can pick it up and carry it occasionally.

Wait until you really get hooked and buy a single speed!!
Rick
yah that sounds fun ripping down a hill at 40 mph in a 39/14 cogset turning 230 rpm...
rolleyes.gif
without being able to stop your pedal rotation...
fool.gif

Unless you need a good excuse for not being able to keep up or getting past the single speeds are only for early season upper midwest training.

Wait until you really get hooked and buy a single speed!!
Rick
... without being able to stop your pedal rotation...
fool.gif
I think you're confusing "fixed gear" (fixie) with "single speed". Single speed has only one gear ratio available (no shifters), but can still coast. A fixie takes it one step further by removing the ability to coast.

Fixies are like the Harleys of the bike world. Very old outdated design/technology with no real benefit beyond simplicity for the sake of being very simple, yet it somehow has a significant following of people that choose fixed gear not for any logical reasons, but as a "lifestyle" choice.

That said, I also don't see the appeal of single-speed mountain biking (non-fixie) either. I'm not out to torture myself or prove my physical prowess to anyone. I'm just out there to have fun. That's why I have a good "do everything" kind of trail bike.

Sure, the extra gears and shifters make it heavier. And the full suspension makes it heavier and reduces pedaling efficiency. But it sure is a lot of fun. I don't care about completing entire (or multiple) laps of trails without taking breaks, trying to set lap records. I like the ability to downshift and pedal up all but the steepest hills with minimal effort (even if I am crawling at a snail's pace). I like how my full suspension smooths over all the small/medium roots so I can plow through them, seated, without missing a pedal stroke and minimizing fatigue from shaking/jarring over rough sections of trail. I stop for a break after significant uphill sections so that I have plenty of energy to bomb through the upcoming level/downhill sections. I like to go fast, but I don't search for the fastest line through the trail. I search for the most fun line, which might involve going out of my way to hit a root to launch me in the air, rather than taking the more direct, smoother and faster "racing" line.

I have a geared bike as well. I really like both. However, I find myself riding the single speed more as I really like the challenge. Just different strokes. Enjoy!!

Rick