Trying to select an FJR Model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the fix/mod was to add a heat shield between the top of the engine and the gas tank. It consisted of basically a thick layer of aluminum foil type material, possibly Reflectix(?) just guessing. Others will chime in.

I didn't save the links but there's several out there, first you can get (or make yourself) and insulating blanket for under the tank on ebay. The others are about cutting some fairing around the radiator to let cool air in and block some off at places. It's not too hard and makes a world of difference.

I have a 2008 and a 2015 (5 speed). I don't need a 6th gear. My '08 (Ohlins shock and fork springs) handles and rides better than my '15 with electronic suspension. The '15 has more gizmos but less of the electrical woes of the '08, I've had my share of those! Buy a '15 5-speed and upgrade the suspension, that's as good as it gets.
I can’t say enough good things about the Fjr. I was out today riding my 2007 and I am still amazed at how good the ride is. It’s oem and it’s better than my 2019 HD ultra limited and the Harley has the legend suspension. That to me say a lot about the Fjr.

I can’t say enough good things about the Fjr. I was out today riding my 2007 and I am still amazed at how good the ride is. It’s oem and it’s better than my 2019 HD ultra limited and the Harley has the legend suspension. That to me say a lot about the Fjr.
Welcome! That's good to hear. How many miles did you put on the clock so far?

Minimal experience with other Gens but I’d suggest 2016 or newer. Newer doesn't always mean better but after so many years of refinement a 2016 properly serviced and a 2022 only have birthdays and price to distinguish them apart.

I picked it up two weeks ago. I’d say around 400 miles. Can’t believe the difference between the HD and the fjr
I switched from Harley to the fjr. I’ve been riding harley since 2006. The best one would’ve been the flhtp police bike. But Id put 2 g in it at least for pipes, cleaner,fuel tuner. Id probably choose it over the fjr here in Florida but not Arizona where I was. Out of probably at least 15 street bikes over my lifetime the fjr is the most comfortable with the sellerie seat hands down. Also harley always seem no matter how many changes I make on bars and seats gives me a crick in my neck. Riding position on fjr doesn’t do that. It perfect.

I just sold(yesterday) My 2007 Gen 2 AE.I am going to miss that bike, It was lighter than my new to me 2013 and it had Ohlin and GP suspension as well as bill mayer seat.Very fast and a true pleasure to ride.I wanted cruise and found a great buy on a 2013 so I bought the 13 and put my 07 up for sale.I sold it in one day and the proud new owner rode it for the first time today and he is in love.In my mind there are no better than the other, It's all about what creature comforts and bells and whistles you wish to have.IMG_1960.jpg

...and it had Ohlin and GP suspension...
Should have swapped suspension before selling...

Not much weight difference - in 2009, Yamaha started reporting "wet weight " with an apparent 54 lb weight gain between '08 and '09; due entirely to the reporting method.
The "AE" was 9 lb heavier than the "A" model for '06 to '09.
(If you look at the "Model Comparison Matrix", Yamaha reported a 7 lb weight DROP for the "A" model between 2012 and 2013.)

https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/fjr-model-comparison-matrix.178871/

Last edited:
You are right I should have BUT I wanted to recoup the price I paid for the 2013 and I really think the suspension on the 13 is not bad at all for the type of riding I do.
As far as real world weight goes, I just feel the 13 is heavier I feel it in my Butt,LOL.

You are right I should have BUT I wanted to recoup the price I paid for the 2013 and I really think the suspension on the 13 is not bad at all for the type of riding I do.
As far as real world weight goes, I just feel the 13 is heavier I feel it in my Butt,LOL.
Are the tires the same between old and new bike. Simply swapping from pilot road 5 - on bike when purchased a to pilot road 6gt changed how my steering felt. Not night and day but the new tires seem awesome thus far.

No, 07 had just installed pilot road 5 tires.
13 has 1/2 used road 2's on it.
I only feel the weight as i call it when moving the bike around, Not under way.
The Olin and GP suspension was way over sprung for my weight on the 07 so if I ever feel I need to upgrade the suspension on the 13 I have no remorse about not swapping suspension from the 07 to the 13.
I do a lot of long distance cruising and like a plush ride, Even with the suspension rebuilt and set up by a tuner the 07 was a nice ride but it was not plush.

No, 07 had just installed pilot road 5 tires.
13 has 1/2 used road 2's on it.
I only feel the weight as i call it when moving the bike around, Not under way.
The Olin and GP suspension was way over sprung for my weight on the 07 so if I ever feel I need to upgrade the suspension on the 13 I have no remorse about not swapping suspension from the 07 to the 13.
I do a lot of long distance cruising and like a plush ride, Even with the suspension rebuilt and set up by a tuner the 07 was a nice ride but it was not plush.
I noticed walking the bike around feels very different after the helibar riser

Minimal experience with other Gens but I’d suggest 2016 or newer. Newer doesn't always mean better but after so many years of refinement a 2016 properly serviced and a 2022 only have birthdays and price to distinguish them apart.

You forgot about one of those needing the engine removed and the transmission opened up for a recall repair, while the other doesn't.......

You forgot about one of those needing the engine removed and the transmission opened up for a recall repair, while the other doesn't.......
Did not forget. That world have been done by a dealer for free because “properly serviced” means properly serviced. Believe 2021 and newer the fix was no longer required