TSA and Motorcycle Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOgre

Reaction score
Has anyone flown while wearing or carrying their electric gear?  I'll be moving a bike soon and then flying back to New York.  I'd like to wear my red Warm & Safe jacket on the flight home but I'm wondering how a TSA agent might react to my torso being all wrapped in wiring.  Same with the gloves and controller in the tank-bag carry on.  Anyone have any experiences with this?

I'd go straight to the source on this one since TSA rules regularly change and asking an internet forum on this one would do zero good to you if you took advice here and they tell you something different when you're at the airport.  It's not specifically called out, but bet its handled like an electric blanket.

That said, I've carried before in carry-on and never thought to try and wear it through security because they ask you to remove jackets anyway.  I had mine in a backpack and no issues, but if I were wearing it--I'd remove it and place it in a bin just like they ask for any other jacket.

Regardless what they tell you, I think there's half a chance there'll be a problem. I once took a flight from Seattle to Reno and was bringing a 7mm socket/ratchet to perform a minor repair on the plane I was picking up. They confiscated those tools. I suggest checking it or shipping it separately to be safe. Or just plan to be cold 🥶

I have taken a heated jacket through TSA. Not an MC specific one, it is a battery-powered down jacket. I put it through with my carry-on stuff, and there was no problem. Our son's baby formula on the other hand...

I'd go straight to the source on this one since TSA rules regularly change . . . .
With such an extensive list on the TSA site I'm surprised they don't have heated gear listed.  At least now I know I can carry a divot tool though.

Regardless what they tell you, I think there's half a chance there'll be a problem. I once took a flight from Seattle to Reno and was bringing a 7mm socket/ratchet to perform a minor repair on the plane I was picking up. They confiscated those tools. I suggest checking it or shipping it separately to be safe. Or just plan to be cold 🥶
We're thinking alike here.  With a bit of subjectivity involved I'm afraid of running up against that one agent who's either not too bright or is known for doing his/her job a little too thoroughly.  The more I ponder this I'm now leaning towards just stuffing it into one of those flat rate postal boxes.  For the ten or fifteen bucks it might make life easier.