Upstate SC and NC scouting report and rumblings of rides in the upstate

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like it would be fun some Saturday or Sunday this Spring to meet up early while the roads are clear at the gas station at 11 and 178 (or some place near Lake Lure), ride a few hours on the fun roads, then have a hot dog/ burger fest at my place, or a Tech Day at Griffs over in north Greer. Griff, you up for that sometime? If not, we could just head back to my place for hot dogs and burgers. I live close to where 276 and 25 cross.
I haven't checked with wifey, but I'm sure she would be fine with that.
smile.png

Post up if you have more road reports in the upstate, or if yer interested in a ride, then eat. Spouses would be welcome on both the ride and eating event.
IN

Seems like it would be fun some Saturday or Sunday this Spring to meet up early while the roads are clear at the gas station at 11 and 178 (or some place near Lake Lure), ride a few hours on the fun roads, then have a hot dog/ burger fest at my place, or a Tech Day at Griffs over in north Greer. Griff, you up for that sometime? If not, we could just head back to my place for hot dogs and burgers. I live close to where 276 and 25 cross.I haven't checked with wifey, but I'm sure she would be fine with that. :)

Post up if you have more road reports in the upstate, or if yer interested in a ride, then eat. Spouses would be welcome on both the ride and eating event.
IN
Saturday am or Sunday am? Sunday's the only option for you, right?

I live in greenvile (mauldin) I have a friend who rides fjr who lives in Spartanburg. We ride the dragon a lot. Our schedules are crazy. We use to organize group rides to dragon, snack or diamondback all the time. If the dates are right we will be in. I'll be glad to help in any way. In fact we may go to dragon or somewhere March 25th Good friday if anyone is interested.

Seems like it would be fun some Saturday or Sunday this Spring to meet up early while the roads are clear at the gas station at 11 and 178 (or some place near Lake Lure), ride a few hours on the fun roads, then have a hot dog/ burger fest at my place, or a Tech Day at Griffs over in north Greer. Griff, you up for that sometime? If not, we could just head back to my place for hot dogs and burgers. I live close to where 276 and 25 cross.
I work a goofy, somewhat non-repeating schedule so if yoose plan something and I can be there, I'm in for burgers/dogs and/or tech day.

wheatonFJR posted: Okay...maybe I should start a different thread for this other ride and Tech Day thing. Griff and I will chat, then open a thread to see if people really wanna do this thing, or if it's just Griff and me wanting the get together.
IN

i work a lot, my wife still likes to spend time with me and my yard has healthy weeds often needing cutting but if I ever can make it I'm always excited about a ride in the WNC scenery..... and burgers/dogs

Hmmmm so I'm thinking piss off the ol" lady and buy a case of roundup and I can ride more often lol

Last edited by a moderator:
wheatonFJR posted: Okay...maybe I should start a different thread for this other ride and Tech Day thing. Griff and I will chat, then open a thread to see if people really wanna do this thing, or if it's just Griff and me wanting the get together.
IN
IN!!! Needed a bigger in than Uncle Hud!

Okay, okay.

I guess I will open a poll on a Saturday/Sunday thing...

I ride on both days...

But some people are busy with kids duties on Saturday am...

And some people are churching it Sunday am...

I work 2 out of 3 Saturdays. If it falls on my one off I can be there. Sundays I should be able to make but not my friend.

Going to be hard to make everyone happy, plan one then later plan the other? If I can help in any way let me know.

^^^^ My comments:

1. IN Saturday or Sunday <edit 5 mins later:> and can bring BEER.

2. Crab Creek Road has some of the nicest scenery around, several summer camps, and a couple of fun whoop-de-do's.

3. NC 215 is much fun, see below:

Road%20to%20Rosman_zpsoqywzc71.jpg

4. Haven't done SC 414/14 -- to my knowledge -- but if you say they're fun, I will believe.

14 is a through route back, 414 is a rural two laner to get back...there are twistier ways to get back to my place, but by that time we will have done 3 1/2 hours or so...so time for burgers and dogs.

BTW,

This is the roughly the route if we head out from 178 and 11. We can shorten the route if people don't want to head towards Saluda. My guess is that 176 will likely be very populated by the time we get there.

Hey guys if y'all want curves. I will plan a ride for good Friday March 25th. I promise lots of curves. It will be an all day trip. We will go to tail of dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) or the diamonback and snake. Let me know if yall are interested.

route66 posted: Hey guys if y'all want curves. I will plan a ride for good Friday March 25th. I promise lots of curves. It will be an all day trip. We will go to tail of dragon (318 curves in 11 miles) or the diamonback and snake. Let me know if yall are interested.
I'm sure you'd find interested folks, but you should start a separate thread in "Ride Planning -- Southeast" for your separate ride. No biggie, just keeping the two rides and two threads separated.

This thread started as a simple road condition report, but I sidetracked my own thread by musing out loud about an informal get together.

I have since started a separate thread for the actual ride.

Griff will start a separate post about a future tech day event.