Utah - Sandstone, Canyons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangevaleFJR

R.I.P. Our FJR Riding Friend
Reaction score
On the leg home we left Cortez, CO on the 23rd and got to Fallon, NV 10 hours later after a fun ride that included just enough rain not to get wet, great views South of and through Moab, then we hopped I-70 West and grabbed 50 West in Salina. On 70 we did see Eagle Canyon which is pretty darm impressive too. On 50, we finished up Utah and took on Nevada. SilverLegacy turned us on to this route...thanks! 50 is so much more fun than I-80 across Nevada. I lost count of the mountain passes we crossed on 50, but the pattern was:

Flat and straight through a valley at about 105 mph, then up and over a range of mountains about every 30-45 minutes. It was a blast! The mountain ranges offered fast sweepers, with some actually getting a bit technical on the twisties. The passes were great to break up the monotony that you find on I-80. 50 was not only more fun, but it is more scenic too. I had no clue that riding across Nevada could be fun and interesting. Thanks again silver!

We spent the night in Fallon, then finished up the rest of the ride home in 3 hours on Wednesday, going through Carson City, South Lake Tahoe and 50 all the way to Hazel exit, which is all of 3 miles from our house in Orangevale.

As the rain was intermittent, we only had our camera out for a time in Utah, and here are the pics.

We stopped and got the camera out for this rock:

DSC00805.jpg

While not an incredible view, this is a great picture that captures something of interest to me. Notice the very distinct layers shown here, and how the top layers seem to bend upward. This was repeated several times and I just love this kind of stuff in rock:

DSC00812.jpg

Very cool range just South/entering Moab:

DSC00826.jpg

yup:

DSC00823.jpg

Sherri and I at Eagle Canyon:

DSC00869.jpg

I never know if I should crop out the guard rails:

DSC00849.jpg

Sherri and I using our look like a tree trick at Eagle Canyon...really...that's us:

DSC00866.jpg

The number of views like this where there seem to be endless cliffs, plateaus and canyons just boggle the mind!

DSC00858.jpg

DSC00851.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing the pics Orangevale. Glad you're home safe and sound. Looks like you two had a fantastic trip and good time. The western US is always a great place to explore. Especially on an FJR! :D

--G