V-Strom 1000 Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyRider

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I’m contemplating the purchase of a V-Strom 1000 this fall. I’ll be riding at the most 200-mile day trips, so I need to know if the bike would be comfortable for those day trips. I currently ride a 08 FJR and have done 500 miles in a day without issue. I’m 6’2” 230 and the fjr has bar risers, gel seats and sheep skin covers. Thanks[/SIZE]

Domenic

Sorry if this has been asked, I'm too lazy tonight to search.. :rolleyes:

day rides

week rides

month rides

year rides

...been on the strom since 02, it'll last more than a day. Not sure what your question is, some think the strom easier than the fjr, some the other way. It is very much a personal thing.

I’m contemplating the purchase of a V-Strom 1000 this fall. I’ll be riding at the most 200-mile day trips, so I need to know if the bike would be comfortable for those day trips. I currently ride a 08 FJR and have done 500 miles in a day without issue. I’m 6’2” 230 and the fjr has bar risers, gel seats and sheep skin covers. Thanks

I tried a couple of seats with my DL1000 (an 05 traded in 07), and eventually settled on a Corbin Dual Canyon. I did an SS1000 (1060+ miles in about 18 hours) with this bike and seat (everything but the seat was stock) and when I was finished, the only part of my body that hurt was my hands. I thought the V-Strom was very comfortable once I got the seat sorted out. A 200 mile ride would be a stroll in the park.

FWIW, I did not get along with the stock seat on the FJR either. I'm too heavy for stock seats and tend to just about always end up with a Corbin or Sargent if available, or a Sargent custom job if neither company makes a standard model for the bike at hand.

Second FWIW: My DL1000 did benefit from a throttle body synch. Also, I installed the factory authorized rear subframe for their hard bags (probably sourced from Givi), and this introduced quite a bit of buzz in the seat. I installed it, and then took it off and went back to stock within a couple of days. Not only did the hard bag mounting frame change the frame stiffness and introduce resonant vibrations, the hard bags themselves were fugly, hurt gas mileage, and stood out from the bike like tumors. The problem for the DL1000 is that the exhaust system got to the real estate first, and so the bags have to "stand off" quite a bit. If I were to buy another V-Strom, I'd probably go with soft bags from an aftermarket vendor.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m contemplating the purchase of a V-Strom 1000 this fall. I’ll be riding at the most 200-mile day trips, so I need to know if the bike would be comfortable for those day trips. I currently ride a 08 FJR and have done 500 miles in a day without issue. I’m 6’2” 230 and the fjr has bar risers, gel seats and sheep skin covers. Thanks

I tried a couple of seats with my DL1000 (an 05 traded in 07), and eventually settled on a Corbin Dual Canyon. I did an SS1000 (1060+ miles in about 18 hours) with this bike and seat (everything but the seat was stock) and when I was finished, the only part of my body that hurt was my hands. I thought the V-Strom was very comfortable once I got the seat sorted out. A 200 mile ride would be a stroll in the park.

FWIW, I did not get along with the stock seat on the FJR either. I'm too heavy for stock seats and tend to just about always end up with a Corbin or Sargent if available, or a Sargent custom job if neither company makes a standard model for the bike at hand.

Second FWIW: My DL1000 did benefit from a throttle body synch. Also, I installed the factory authorized rear subframe for their hard bags (probably sourced from Givi), and this introduced quite a bit of buzz in the seat. I installed it, and then took it off and went back to stock within a couple of days. Not only did the hard bag mounting frame change the frame stiffness and introduce resonant vibrations, the hard bags themselves were fugly, hurt gas mileage, and stood out from the bike like tumors. The problem for the DL1000 is that the exhaust system got to the real estate first, and so the bags have to "stand off" quite a bit. If I were to buy another V-Strom, I'd probably go with soft bags from an aftermarket vendor.

That’s exactly what I needed to know, thank you very much.
B)

Domenic

In a word, "ABSOLUTELY" :clapping:

It and the 650 are brilliant bikes and comfortable (as much or more than any bike I've ever ridden).

doctorj

Have the Wee-Strom, was considering the V-Strom and I would give this a resounding yes. 5 sp gearing was not a problem, cruised all day and the only part of me that hurt marginally was my butt. I'm a young'un so your aches and pains may be more significant if you're a little more fragile than me, but vibrations, noise, effort... great bike. Only thing I didn't like about it was the ability to do low speed stuff easily due to the weight distribution, hence switching to the 650 (which suits me perfectly).

I had the Vstrom before my 2008 FJR. Its a great bike. The longest day I did was 16 hours about 800 miles with stock seat and handlbar risers. Its a VERY versatile bike... if yah like forest service roads while touring the byways its the bomb. Also there is a ton of farkles for the bike. My only issue for me was the looks. I loved the look of the rear - but the front was just not doing it for me.

Scott

pics of my last baby :D

265440239_3Gshs-L.jpg

265440155_rM6Wx-L.jpg

265440751_ezyrx-L.jpg

265440599_pTQFy-L.jpg

265440534_kssQ8-L.jpg

265440366_knpHU-L.jpg

I had the Vstrom before my 2008 FJR. Its a great bike. The longest day I did was 16 hours about 800 miles with stock seat and handlbar risers. Its a VERY versatile bike... if yah like forest service roads while touring the byways its the bomb. Also there is a ton of farkles for the bike. My only issue for me was the looks. I loved the look of the rear - but the front was just not doing it for me.
Scott

265440599_pTQFy-L.jpg
I believe an "oversize load" placard be required when those bags are attached? :unsure:

David

RenoJohn rides his everywhere!!!! Including Idaho! :)

I had a 650 and honestly, you could ride that one anywhere too. If I were to get another V though, I'd get the liter bike. Probably because I'm spoiled now with an 08 FJR!!!! whew-hoo.

Gerry

day ridesweek rides

month rides

year rides

...been on the strom since 02, it'll last more than a day. Not sure what your question is, some think the strom easier than the fjr, some the other way. It is very much a personal thing.

Sounds like the V-Strom will suit my needs. The FJR is a great bike and I love the bike on long trips but it’s just too much for the 4.5-mile commute to work and the occasional gravel roads that I encounter.

Thanks

Domenic

Last edited by a moderator:
Sold my 2003 V-Strom 1000 for the 07 FJR. There are times I wish I still had it. Reliable. Comfortable. (several 400-800 mile days - no problem). Affordable.

Many farkles. Mega carrying load with side and top cases. (I once carried a case of wine back from a winery tour). The biggest downside is that the DL1000 is very tall. Longer legs are helpful (32"plus). Also, your head will take a beating with buffeting in high winds or traffic turbulence. Buy it.

(I once carried a case of wine back from a winery tour).
I once carried a case of Shiner beer in a wooden crate back from Shiner, Texas on the back of the FJR. Looked like the Beverly Hillbillies, but it's acceptable if you have an Arkansas license plate... :cowboy:

I've considered the V-Strom, but love the FJR, so have not moved yet. Hard to convince the wife that the vee would be more comfortable for her on the back than the FJR...

Sold my 2003 V-Strom 1000 for the 07 FJR. There are times I wish I still had it. Reliable. Comfortable. (several 400-800 mile days - no problem). Affordable.Many farkles. Mega carrying load with side and top cases. (I once carried a case of wine back from a winery tour). The biggest downside is that the DL1000 is very tall. Longer legs are helpful (32"plus). Also, your head will take a beating with buffeting in high winds or traffic turbulence. Buy it.
1) There's plenty of aftermarket windshields that fix this.

2) The stock windshield can be adjusted up or down 2", with 1" intervals (3 positions). To do this, you have to remove the bracket and re-mount the windshield in a higher position, so it's not like it's something that can be done on the road. I ride with mine in the middle position, stand at 6'0" and barely cop a buffetting until I get to 80 mph or more.

Latest posts