V strom handguards with vista cruise?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodtime

Reaction score
I am debating with myself about going with heated grips or putting the V-Strom hanguards on my 03. Do any of you know if the handguard mounting position interferes with a Vista Cruise throttle locker?

Edit - based on this https://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=30 it looks like there would be no problem with any kind of clearance issues.

After further searching it looks like my main issue would be clearance with my barn door sized Rifle windscreen in the down position. I do have up and back risers so that may help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 06 and did not use the installation kit to install handguards, i just dremeled out the part going on the bar ends and used a plastic wire tie to secure it to the handlebars, works fine, no problems with the vista cruise or anything else. Pops off in the summer and on in the winter.

Mine's a Gen I with all of it: that giant V-Stream screen, VStrom handguards, Vista cruise, and heated grips. No problems with clearance anywhere, even with the forks cranked over to full lock. By the way, I wouldn't choose between the guards and the heated grips; I'd do both. Those handguards don't really keep your hands that much warmer, IMO. I haven't had them on too long, and haven't ridden in heavy rain, but I think that would be the best reason to have them; should keep your gloves drier. If you ride in cold weather, you'll always want the heated grips.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have all three on the bike. Works just fine. You will have to shorten the rubber grips a tad to put the Vstrom guards on. You might also like to shave a bit off the front end of the grip next to the vista cruise to reduce the drag. Here is a picture:
Throttlegrip09(1).jpg

Blufjr, so you also have the large Rifle windscreen?

I have all three on the bike. Works just fine. You will have to shorten the rubber grips a tad to put the Vstrom guards on. You might also like to shave a bit off the front end of the grip next to the vista cruise to reduce the drag. Here is a picture:
Throttlegrip09(1).jpg