V-strom Handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got D&D's with a setback.  We'll see, if not, I'll just have to be careful.  I ain't givin any of it up....... :p
You should be fine. I have the D&D risers also, and my Hand Guards don't even come close to the ECM Shelf, much less the windscreen....

Mind you, I have the 2nd -generation V-Strom Hand Guards.
I think it's the +6 degree part that pushes them toward the (+4 width) screen.

Also WC does the painted windscreen hurt the performance of your V-1???
Not radar in any way. Probably dorks up laser hits from the front... but not the rear. I never worry about it because I always cruise within the confines of the posted speed limit anyway.... <_<

Hi all,

I ordered the hanguard set up from a local Suzuki dealer and told him I needed it by today. I'm flying up to Seattle on Sunday (when most m/c dealers are closed) and then jumping on a ferry to San Juan island where my FJR is. I wanted to put the hanguards on before riding back to NM the following Wed.

All the parts arrived but the lever bolts, 57431-06G00 which are back ordered. Rats. The only other Suzuki dealer in town doesn't have the lever bolts either.

Does anyone have a recommendation about finding/getting a substitute bolt? I understand it's 6mm but don't know the length and the top part must be smooth for the lever to pivot on it. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Temperature Guage?

I've got this on both my wrist watch and digital compass - both were much less than $80-90!!

Am I missing something here?

Paul

01 fjr

uk

Hi all,
I ordered the hanguard set up from a local Suzuki dealer and told him I needed it by today.  I'm flying up to Seattle on Sunday (when most m/c dealers are closed) and then jumping on a ferry to San Juan island where my FJR is.  I wanted to put the hanguards on before riding back to NM the following Wed.

All the parts arrived but the lever bolts, 57431-06G00 which are back ordered. Rats.  The only other Suzuki dealer in town doesn't have the lever bolts either.

Does anyone have a recommendation about finding/getting a substitute bolt?  I understand it's 6mm but don't know the length and the top part must be smooth for the lever to pivot on it.  Thanks in advance!
They're pretty strange, very long with a stand to support the top of the guard, and then drilled and tapped to accept a screw to fasten the top of the guard. That bolt/pivot is really the key to the whole fastening system-you could find substitutes for all the other hardware but these. The only alternative would be to make one.

Hi Radman,

I was afraid of that. Looks like I'll have to wait to install them when I get back. Thanks for the reply.

Temperature Guage?
I've got this on both my wrist watch and digital compass - both were much less than $80-90!!

Am I missing something here?
Yeah probably accuracy and the ability to read the temperature at night. I guess WC's air temp display is a bit overkill except for the long distance riders. I'd sure like to have it since my riding "season" is winter in Dallas and I like sometimes ride close to freezing temperatures.

I wrote this a few years ago...might be useful.

"I got a set of VStrom hand guards v1 (thanks Outrace) and started the install odessy.

While I tried to figure out what to do about the Suzuki lever bolt, I initially used the original lever bolt, cut a new hole in the plastic and reinstalled the nut. This seemed solid but since there was only one mounting point (at the bolt head), I was leery of long term sustainability, vibration, etc. I did test ride it for 500km though and it was neat.

Being too cheap to pay $25 each (Cdn) for the two Suzuki mounting bolts, I went to Canadian Tire where they have a great selection of all types of bolts in a big rack display and bought two 60mm 6mm shoulder bolts @ $0.34 each (Cdn) but of course they have way too much shoulder. I removed the original, measured how much shoulder I should have, borrowed my son in laws el cheapo tap & die kit, and cut myself some shiny new 6mm/1 threads into the shoulder, thereby cutting the shoulder down to the desired length.

Installed each bolt with a #12 washer each side of the plastic, both at at the head and at the nut, with appropiate number of washers (7 I think) used as spacers inserted between where the bolt comes out of the bottom of the lever housing and the plastic bottom of the handguard.

(Hint tape the 7 washers together with masking tape; do this only after you have dropped the washers 12 times...)

The clutch side went on without any dremelling, but the brake side needed a cut in the end to allow the brake lever to move properly.

I guess I should spray the bolt heads/washer black since they are anodized.

Bolts: $0.68+ 15% tax. Seamless farkel: priceless!

I can't wait for the cold weather!"

Is it best to order these dl1000 handguards from the local dealer or is there a large online dealership anywhere that I can key in these part numbers with and have it delivered to my door, or just use the local guys because the parts will arrive at different times and may be a difficult order to fill and ship?

Didn't FJRGoodies sell the whole handguard kit for $55 or so?

I seem to remember receiving the kit from them which I haven't in stalled yet.

Bite the bullet and buy the incredibly expensive suzuki pivot bolts. I was stubborn enough to lathe mine from brass and it was just not worth the time.
I freaked out at the cost of the bolts (more than the guards)

I took some 6mm SS shoulder bolts, some spacers, drilled out and tapped the thread to 6mm in the lever housing.

Total hardware cost except the guards ~$3

Had them fitted in under an hour

Thats a damn good price if it's for the new style guards. I spent about $75 all told by the time I was done.

I'm ready to call FJRGoodies and order a set, but will the new style knuckle guards affect the operation of my throttlemeister?

Probably, as they lock into the shank of the bar end for support on the end.

Correct, they do. Guru Glenm has the entire kit for the FJR: Hand Guards, mounting hardware, etc.
SON OF A B****

I also spend $75 on everything from the local 'zuki dealer. :angry: Why didnt I check fjrgoodies first. Ruined my day but thanks for the info. :headbonk: