V-strom Handguards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Been looking all over the site for a few posts regarding these that I saw a few weeks ago. I recall WC mentioning the FJR Tech site, also someone posted some pics of homemade bolts for them. I have a set of the new (04) ones, and have run into a little problem. The hardware list on WC's tech site calls for the following Suzuki numbers-

Quantity Suzuki P/N Nomenclature

2 02142-06107 Screw

4 09160-06130 Washer

2 08319-21068 Nut

2 57431-06G00 Screw

2 08316-10063 Nut

Are these indeed all that are needed for the install, and are they Suzi numbers, or Honda, as one parts site came up with?

are they Suzi numbers, or Honda, as one parts site came up with?
I cleverly hid this info... in the column heading. :haha:

Quantity Suzuki P/N Nomenclature

2 02142-06107 Screw

4 09160-06130 Washer

2 08319-21068 Nut

2 57431-06G00 Screw

2 08316-10063 Nut

These are indeed Suzuki part numbers, not Honda.

:D I punched the numbers in at a fiche site, recalling some had mentioned godawful pricing for some hardware (must have been for the older version). The prices came up under a Honda header rather than Suz, hence my asking. The parts listed were less than $5 total, so sumpin didn't seem right. Thanks. Ya skirt wearin' long haired Iron Butted (delete)...... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
C'mon, help a bruther out. Someone posted a pic of a homemade bolt arrangement for attaching these things, and I'll be damned if I can find it using every search idea I have.

Bite the bullet and buy the incredibly expensive suzuki pivot bolts. I was stubborn enough to lathe mine from brass and it was just not worth the time.

Thats what I did. 'Bout $50 all told.
Yes, it is painful to buy the correct (but spendy) hardware, I agree.

But the ability to keep your hands out of the airstream during winter months is worth it, believe me. Ride a winter up here in the frozen tundra of the Pacific Northwest (on the dry, cold side of the Cascades, deep in the High Desert of eastern Washington), and you'll become a believer.

The dealer I ordered the stuff from had a new V-Strom on the floor. Looking at the install convinced me. Nice set up, not a bad looking machine either.

I've got D&D's with a setback. We'll see, if not, I'll just have to be careful. I ain't givin any of it up....... :p

I've got D&D's with a setback. We'll see, if not, I'll just have to be careful. I ain't givin any of it up....... :p
You should be fine. I have the D&D risers also, and my Hand Guards don't even come close to the ECM Shelf, much less the windscreen....

Mind you, I have the 2nd -generation V-Strom Hand Guards.

WC, does the ecm shelf shake the shit out of the stuff you have on it??? :eek:
Nope..... it is rock steady for me, even at speed.

Then again, I don't carry a metric buttload of crap on there, just four items: the V1; the GPSIII+ (though not often); the Datel voltmeter, and the Datel ambient air temp thermometer:

seatview.jpg

Then again, I don't carry a metric buttload of crap on there, just four items: ........... and the Datel ambient air temp thermometer:
Wasssup wit dat homie? You still beta testing, or is it available now?

I respectfully request some particulars!

I've contacted our man Andy Lovelace about these numerous times over the past year- year and a half.... methinks he feels they won't move enough product due to the price involved getting them to market .

While they are deadly accurate and absolutely worth it to me, I guess he feels not enough folks will want these at $80-$90/ea....

I've contacted our man Andy Lovelace about these numerous times over the past year- year and a half.... methinks he feels they won't move enough product due to the price involved getting them to market .
While they are deadly accurate and absolutely worth it to me, I guess he feels not enough folks will want these at $80-$90/ea....
Are you talking about the cunt boxes??? Or the ecm shelf...

Also WC does the painted windscreen hurt the performance of your V-1???

Are you talking about the cunt boxes??? Or the ecm shelf...
Neither. We speak of the Datel ambient air temp gauge.

Bummer. Though a bit pricey, I am still searching for the holy grail of temp gauges, and that one may very well be it.

Thanks for the info.