Value Of An 06 Speedo Assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

150Fuelie

Reaction score
My dealer ordered a new speedo assembly to replace mine that reads 17 mpgs. Dealer is almost an hour away and they said it was an hour and a half to install and I don't want to trailer it up there. Plus, I don't think I want a $7.50 an hour guy working on my spotless bike. So the dealer gave it to me and said I could install it myself. After taking half the bike apart and still not figuring out how to get the old one out I decided the constant 17 mpg wasn't so bad..................

Unless you guys can tell me the proper way to remove the stocker I may be interested in selling the new one. Any idea what it's worth?

The 17 mpg fix should be a recall/warranty item. It was defective out of the box on the '06 right from the git-go. Shouldn't cost you anything! Call Yamaha!

I kinda watched the Tech doing the repair. Requires replacing the entire instrument cluster. Lots of plastic much be removed.

Good luck.

LC

Shouldn't cost you anything! Call Yamaha!
It doesn't sound like he's saying he is paying 7.50/hour, sounds like he doesn't want Joe minimum wage working on his baby. I can appreciate that.

I don't know what it's worth, but I'm guessing the demand would be low considering any 06 that hasn't had the fix can get one for free from Yamaha. Personally, I decided against doing it. It would've fixed a feature I didn't plan on using and it would have reset my mileage. I don't like the sticker fix idea for speedos, but that's me. Seems like I have the kind of luck, too, where if the dealership tears off one part to fix, something else gets broken in the process. Wasn't worth the headache to me.

Yamaha did pick up the tab for the assembly and was also going to pay for the install. But like I said; I'm not too keen on their mechanics wrenching on my bike. Last time I had the dealer do anything for me they let my Vmax fall off a lift. What pissed me off was the fact that they tried to deny it initially.

The full instructions for doing this are posted on the forum some place. Did the dealer not give them to you?

If you cant find them, I'm pretty sure I printed the post and can get you a copy.

IIRC it was Katiesdad with the post. He did the fix himself as well. PM him and he can guide you. Unless of course I am wrong.

But like I said; I'm not too keen on their mechanics wrenching on my bike. Last time I had the dealer do anything for me they let my Vmax fall off a lift. What pissed me off was the fact that they tried to deny it initially.

I'm sorry, but the logic escapes me.
it seems like the same 'logic' non-riders use: 'i know a friend of a friend that had an accident, once'...

or, did the dude stop dating women cause one woman said she didn't date his type of dude, then he saw said woman with a dude of his type?

it's just a motorcycle...

besides, the 7.50 an hour dude would have his bike back together and he'd be riding by now... much faster than the 'free' wrench he has now...

Last edited by a moderator:
But like I said; I'm not too keen on their mechanics wrenching on my bike. Last time I had the dealer do anything for me they let my Vmax fall off a lift. What pissed me off was the fact that they tried to deny it initially.

I'm sorry, but the logic escapes me.
it seems like the same 'logic' non-riders use: 'i know a friend of a friend that had an accident, once'...

or, did the dude stop dating women cause one woman said she didn't date his type of dude, then he saw said woman with a dude of his type?

it's just a motorcycle...

besides, the 7.50 an hour dude would have his bike back together and he'd be riding by now...
Huh??

i was suggesting that if you'd just let the dealer do it, the new cluster would be in and your bike would be fine...

just because a bad thing happened once, does not mean it will happen again...

and i was agreeing with Andre that i failed to see your logic...

My biggest concern is having to take the time to trailer it up, then go and get it once they finish. Added ammo was the fact that I don't trust his service guys. They service way more quads than they do nice sport tourers.......Am I being anal? Maybe, but I don't need to be burned twice to learn my lesson...............Especially if I am fully capable of installing it myself. Besides, I'm one of those that believe if you want it done right you do it yourself................

i was suggesting that if you'd just let the dealer do it, the new cluster would be in and your bike would be fine...

just because a bad thing happened once, does not mean it will happen again...

and i was agreeing with Andre that i failed to see your logic...

The full instructions for doing this are posted on the forum some place. Did the dealer not give them to you?
If you cant find them, I'm pretty sure I printed the post and can get you a copy.

IIRC it was Katiesdad with the post. He did the fix himself as well. PM him and he can guide you. Unless of course I am wrong.

That's correct, I did do the deed -

150Fuelie, send me a PM with your email address, and I'll send you a pdf of the tech bulletin and step by step instructions - it's not difficult once you have the document.

I can definitely understand not wanting to have some shop tard working on my bike. What I can't understand is how your dealer simply gave you the cluster. Per Yamaha's warranty rules, they have to certify that the warrantied part has been replaced. If your dealer is willing to alter that rule, that would give me even more cause for concern in allowing one of their shop tards from doing the work.

As for the value, the discount OEM shops have the part for $545. I'm actually looking to find one for significantly cheaper than that (and cheaper than Bamfrank's offer) to experiment with a farkle I have in mind. But, since I don't have the time to actually develop the farkle or work with it, I'm in no hurry.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your dealer is willing to alter that rule, that would give me even more cause for concern in allowing one of their shop tards from doing the work.
What I want to know is where this dealer is. I want my backup cluster for free!

If your dealer is willing to alter that rule, that would give me even more cause for concern in allowing one of their shop tards from doing the work.
What I want to know is where this dealer is. I want my backup cluster for free!

Yes, I guess one "benefit" of installing a new cluster yourself is you've just developed a "low milage" FJR to sell or trade. :blink: But I guess I naively state the obvious. :dribble:

LC

Yes, I guess one "benefit" of installing a new cluster yourself is you've just developed a "low milage" FJR to sell or trade. :blink: But I guess I naively state the obvious. :dribble:
LC
No, that would be a big boo-boo as the DMV keeps track of the mileage at inspection time. Now having a free backup for a > $500 part seems like a good idea to me, especially since a couple of them have failed.

Latest posts