Value Of An 06 Speedo Assembly

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that would be a big boo-boo as the DMV keeps track of the mileage at inspection time. Now having a free backup for a > $500 part seems like a good idea to me, especially since a couple of them have failed.
Most states don't have motorcycle inspections.

My dealer ordered a new speedo assembly to replace mine that reads 17 mpgs. Dealer is almost an hour away and they said it was an hour and a half to install and I don't want to trailer it up there. Plus, I don't think I want a $7.50 an hour guy working on my spotless bike. So the dealer gave it to me and said I could install it myself. After taking half the bike apart and still not figuring out how to get the old one out I decided the constant 17 mpg wasn't so bad..................
Unless you guys can tell me the proper way to remove the stocker I may be interested in selling the new one. Any idea what it's worth?
I don't think the instant MPG is a useful feature any way. I have had my o6 since April 06 and never felt a burning desire to use my gloved hand to toggle the switch to learn that useless figure. Most of us like to know the average MPG, but who really cares about the instant PMG? I, too, have no faith in the dealers, particularly when it comes to FJR's. They just don't service enough of them.

Take my advice and forget about changing the cluster. I didn't and I feel perfectly fine about that. My bike is still fabulous without that gimmick. Sam

Now having a free backup for a > $500 part seems like a good idea to me, especially since a couple of them have failed.
Get an extended warranty for ~$370 and you will have protected against that failure as well as any other that might occur.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Fuelie, I wouldn't let a dealer mess with my bike just for that either. As a comment, when I swapped the panels with my new '07, the newly built AE had the knobs to adjust the headlight broken, several deep scratches I didn't notice until the bike was in my house, missing screws, missing parts... scary. Obviously I built my bike, and swapped the panels myself at the dealer. I could undo most of their errors, except the scratches. I think you need a lot less disassembly than I had to do to swap the cluster, but I wouldn't do it: never looked, and never will look at that stupid feature. If you're adamant to change it, I'd wait to something like 10,000 miles (a figure easy to remember), and at the same time, maybe disable the windscreen auto retract feature, like I did.

And yeah, how did dealer give you the part to keep? I swap warranty parts with dealers all the time (don't want them to touch my bike if I can avoid it), but they always get mine first, as they need to send it back. They're usually happy with that arrangement since they can charge the labor without having done it. Win win scenario for both of us. Good luck.

JC

Get an extended warranty for ~$370 and you will have protected against that failure as well as any other that might occur.
I was just messin' around. That the insurance policy is less than $400 tells me I don't really need to worry about it. Besides, I like knowing that I am getting 17 mpg, no need to check gas mileage all the time. :)

Here's how I got the assembly:

The parts manager was outside helping someone when the young lady at the counter waited on me. I asked if the part had arrived yet and she said yes. I then asked if I could see it and again she said yes. She came up with the assembly and I asked how long it took to swap it out and she said the book said an hour and a half. I asked her if it would be possible to simply ride the bike up there and wait while they installed it and she said I could just take it and install myself if I wanted......I didn't hesitate and booked. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get a call once the manager realized what she did :)

For those wondering why I want this feature; Because it's suppose to be there. I have it in my truck and use it to find the best speed for best economy. I realize it's more important to get the best economy in a truck but it's kinda cool on the bike too. And if it isn't going to cost me anything why not?

Most states don't have motorcycle inspections.
Seriously? Kind of scary really.
no inspections here in florida...if you can make it look like it's going down the road under it's own power, you're golden...

For those wondering why I want this feature; Because it's suppose to be there. I have it in my truck and use it to find the best speed for best economy. I realize it's more important to get the best economy in a truck but it's kinda cool on the bike too.
hummm, maybe you are 'anal' after all... not that there's anything wrong with that...

And if it isn't going to cost me anything why not?
but it has cost you your time... and you did want to sell the replacement unit out of frustration...

butt, the forum is here to love you, help you, and razz you (not necessarily in that order)... plus i got a cool, new to me, term from ponyfool: shop tard... lol...

you are a good sport!!!

dana