Valve Checks vs. Adjustment Required Poll

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On your 3rd, 4th and 5th valve checks... (ckeck as many as apppropriate)

• 3rd check and no adjustment required

Votes: 26 18.3%
  • 3rd check adjustment was required

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • 4th check and no adjustment required

• 4th check adjustment was required

• 5th check and no adjustment required

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • 5th check adjustment was required

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I paid to have these checks / adjustments

Votes: 28 19.7%
  • I do 'em myself

Votes: 93 65.5%

• Total voters
Checked mine on my 07 FJR with 45k and all where in spec...some on the low side of spec, but in spec is in spec...Did change out the stock CCT though 
Lots of folks have found that valve clearances tend to be at the low side of the range at first check and only change relatively slowly after that.  When you do have to change any, set them all to two thirds of the max spec and don't worry about them for the next 60,000 miles or so.

I don't like betting with MY wallet. My odds of skipping a valve check (when it turns out that it should have been done) and NOT grenading my engine are non-zero. When it happens to someone who was penny wise with their "dollars investment" their odds jump to 100% (in favor of losing).

I'll get mine checked thankyouverymuch.

I'll get mine checked thankyouverymuch.
I absolutely wouldn't pass on the first valve clearance check and would not pass any check if any of the valves were close to the limit on the previous service.

I am reasonably risk aversive but wouldn't be overly concerned about extending the interval if there was lots of room in the adjustment.  Is it better to check on schedule?  Absolutely, but I would have no concern extending it to the end of a season; especially if they were in the middle of the acceptance interval the last time.  Clearances just don't change that quickly unless something has gone wrong.  In that case, valve clearances might be the least of your worries!

Thanks for bringing this thread back to life and triggering my memory. On September 28, 2019, I did my second valve check on my 2006, again with audiowize. I was at 56,000 miles. All valves were within spec. We had replaced the chain tensioner during the first check. There was a lot of grit and dirt on top of the valve cover and down into the cooling tube recesses.

I can't see how to enter the poll again. Maybe the OP does that.

Another thing that many people do  before a check is run some techron, seafoam or ring free to eliminate carbon deposits that can affect valve clearance.

2016-first valve check at 100K.  3 intakes were just out of spec(tight).  All exhaust were low but still in spec.  I adjusted everything to 70% of upper spec.  Will check again at 200k.....that's how I roll.   Huge thanks to Rayzerman19 for his email tech support!!

I'm just a ways away from having to check my valves for the 1st time, but I wondered what the rate of having to adjust the shims was on the 1st valve check. The first check isn't until 26k miles, but I have heard a lot of anecdotal evidence that suggests that many of the first valve services are just checks with no adjustment required. I am always a skeptic and curious if maybe sometimes shops will deem it necesary to adjust shims when maybe it's not? Or, perhaps the shims settle in the first check but don't need much adjustment in the 2nd check.

I won't ask about subsequent checks (yet) as I think these first two intervals are the most common and should give us the data we need to make some conclusions

Time to poll the masses and get the Facts.
Howdy,
One aspect with doing valve checks is the dealership will also change the coolant. The thing is the coolant that the dealer uses is inferior to what you can get at any auto parts store. Your owner's manual has it that you must change your coolant every 16,000 miles. But if you go shopping at any auto parts store, you will find they have a premix 50/50 that has a 5-year or150,000.
Just for discussion, your motorcycle holds 3 Quarts. leaving you with one Quart to add as you go along.

Ride Safe,
Tom Buckley